Raleigh is burning

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Tlokein, Mar 17, 2017.

1. SkegLegs

SkegLegs Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    I thought you guys were putting up pictures of me...then I realized it was just another bald weirdo.

2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

You guys get all excited by a small fire??
    Only in 'merica......
    Sheet happens.

3. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Fire was most likely started by vagrants burning stuff to keep warm in the partially completed building. This is going to be a case study for us in the insurance industry like Andrew was in FL. Will likely change building codes as they were using Podium Construction (5 floors of modified fire resistive frame on top of 3 stories concrete parking garage) which is a fairly new construction type. Fire breaks were not in yet so it burned much faster than it would once complete.

4. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Same thing happened in Worcester Mass, about 15 years ago or so in empty industrial era warehouses/factories...vagrants started huge fires...several firefighters lost their lives.

5. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Thankfully no one was killed in this one. Property damage and loss of income for everyone involved will be in the 100's of millions though. The building that burned down was $29M completed on a $50M job. Not to mention damage to the 17 story Qarum Center full of hundreds of luxury condos and The Link (204 apartments) both of which will be uninhabitable for months as well as 8 other buildings that suffered damage.

6. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

If I remember correctly, the Worcester vagrants/homeless responsible for the fire were sentenced to lengthy prison terms for manslaughter and arson. Now they ended getting 3 squares and a comfy bed. Ironic, isn't it?? Our "justice" system, interns of inflexible logic, really needs revamping....

7. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    OTOH, eugenics has historically worked well