Come Shape Your Own Board

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by MrMacdugal, Mar 28, 2017.

1. MrMacdugal

MrMacdugal Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Hey guys,
    As some of you may know by seeing my sporadic posting on some of these redundant topics, that I have been shaping my own boards for a little over a year now.
    I have gotten proficient, lets say, at the the process, and have decided to share this craft with other folks. I can only make so many boards for myself, as I now have about 6 of my own shapes, a few for friends, etc. so I have began to invite folks like yourselves to come join.
    You are welcome to come shape anything you'd like. I can supply your blank, the shaping space and all tools needed to the process. If you are a first timer, I will give you a tutorial on the tools or guide you throughout. No experience is necessary. Or, if you already know what you are doing, you are welcome to do your own thing. The catch is.. that you either pay by the hour or block of hours for shaping bay, or the bay is free if I am to glass your board (about $150 all materials included)
    so you end up paying for blank and glassing only (about $250) all said and done.
    The reason this service is so cheap is so I can gain experience. I am proficient in all aspects of board building but need more experience and my wife does not want me making 50 boards for myself.
    I am equipped to handle your futures fin box and single fin installs as well as leash cup.
    I am available most nights and weekends, so let me know when you are ready to start your hand shaping journey

Also, if you just need a blank to bring back to your own shaping bay, I am happy to supply you with those as well.
    We have no real shaper supply house here in the northeast, and I would love to become that go to person eventually.
    Give me a shout, but start by PMing me here.

2. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    MrMac, approximately where in NE are you located.

Nice offer and tread by the way. Sounds like a good opportunity for those interested in trying out the shaping craft.

Thanks.

3. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
  4. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Now that's sharing the stoke! :cool:

5. Wavestrom

Wavestrom Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    you're running ads on Craiglist (not that kind) as well, right?

6. MrMacdugal

Aug 19, 2011
    Oh yeah, I'm in Haverhill, Ma. right off 495. About 20 minutes from Hampton or Salisbury.
    The space has dedicated shaping and glassing rooms and is not in my home. So no bothers from wife saying time to wrap it up or anything.
    I do have some ads on Craigslist. A couple for the shaping bay and a couple for my weird fetishes. No replies yet on my fetish ad, but already have a nice guy working on his first board and a couple more trying to find the time to get here and start.
    I look forward to hearing from you guys. We can have a couple beers and knock out a new board for you to ride.

7. frothy cheese

frothy cheese Well-Known Member

May 6, 2016
    Awesome stuff man wish I was closer so it was more realistic for me rn. Will def keep it in mind though good luck and I like your plan. Looking to get a blank and glassing materials and make myself something this summer so at the least I'll reach out so maybe you could give me a message of advice or something once I start it. Good luck!

8. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Here's your chance to try it again, Cuda... go for it.

9. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Interesting concept. I personally have no desire to shape my own board but I could see it as both fun and rewarding. Sounds like there are a few home grown shapers on here who have been able to make it worth while with some experience. What a great place to start....without all the hassle. Good stuff!

10. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

The thought crossed my mind but then........swiiiiiiiiish.....there went that thought!!
    Although I really wish Mr Mcd total success on his venture, why should I make my own when I can just pick up the phone and order my next board from Mr. Gerry Lopez?? Which I intend to do soon. This will be my last board, I am getting old, so I will make it a nice one, and so then, why not from the best??

11. HelpHelpLetMeOut

HelpHelpLetMeOut Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    seems less expensive to do it with OP
    if you get that GL bort for under 800$ Id be surprised

12. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I am lucky, did well working investing my whole life. Cost for a GL doesn't bother me; it will be the second board he makes for me, once I order it.
    Thanks all the same for your input.

13. soulrider

soulrider Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    I wish you had started this 5-6 years ago when I lived in MA. I was trying to apprentice and sweep foam for some guys but it never worked out. Awesome way to share the stoke and make the NE have an appropriate amount of handshapes.

14. gnarnia.

gnarnia. Member

Jan 5, 2014
    cool idea, PMed you.

15. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    That's a great idea. Wish i lived closer. Good luck man!

16. red dog

red dog Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Twin Lights Surf in Gloucester! if I had the time id be all over it! got a little class time from Robert August in C.R. few years ago! something about riding a board created by the rider that's beyond cool! what your offering is pretty generous and inviting. good luck!

17. MrMacdugal

Aug 19, 2011
    No do not mistake me if you have. I am not Mr. Natti from Gloucester. If you seek a professional glass job and someone with true industry knowledge, then go see him.
    I have only shaped 8 surfboards. Far from a pro, but everything I have made has floated, caught waves and been super fun. I have only ridden my own boards since starting shaping and I think it has only helped my surfing

18. red dog

red dog Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Even Keith had to start somewhere! Who knows where this will lead you? Good luck again! Keep the stoke ✌

19. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Some of the best things about designing and shaping your own boards have nothing to do with achieving "pro quality." I always say... "anyone can build a board that works." The trick is building a board that works the way you intended it to work... the way it was designed to work. When you have achieved that, you've become proficient at shaping. So from your first board, until you reach that level of proficiency, you learn a lot about how boards work, and how design affects performance. And through that process your surfing simply HAS to improve. As an educator, I know you learn 10 times more from making a mistake than you do by executing something perfectly on the first try. Oftentimes, you learn nothing from that.

So if you get a lot of satisfaction out of that learning process... and you like to work with your hands... and you like to be creative... building your own boards is a great way to scratch that itch.

20. MrMacdugal

Aug 19, 2011
    You got that very right LB. And not to say that I have not made any mistakes. I have made many mistakes, but in the end, the board is always pleasing to the eye and rides the way it was intended during conception of design. Crafting your own ride makes you think a lot about how the board works, what you want it to do and how you actually surf. It has also very much broken me out of the mold that only high performance shapes can be surfed aggressively, and or hard and fast. Not to say the same effect is achieved, but can still hit the lip and make hard turns on stubby quads, short fishes, etc. Its just too fun to ride a board you made