CR Trip Report

Discussion in 'Surf Travel' started by aka pumpmaster, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Takako Patterson

Takako Patterson Active Member

Mar 28, 2017
    Surfed fun head high waves in Esterillos this morning. No(w) to surf without fear of death.

2. Takako Patterson

Takako Patterson Active Member

Mar 28, 2017
    Sitting this one out

It's so heavy the condo shakes when it hits.

3. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Man that is not bad at all compared to before. I have done two trips flying in to Liberia in recent years b/c it seemed more convenient. My next trip down (18') I'm gonna do the Hermosa-Pavones tract. thx

4. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    that looks awesome

5. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Amazing that the road is that good now. Awesome photos too. Makes me want to go back down to Dominical and points south. Thanks!

6. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Sounds like a great trip! the water looks beautiful!

7. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Pump thanks for the updates and pics! I'm stoked to hear lol sounds and looks like you got it good down there! And I think your right, that name sounds about right! (My Bad memory..)

I can't believe that the new road only takes 1.5 hrs to the beach! That's crazy!

8. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Thx for the offer, as of now looking at areas south of Tamarindo. Did some research on areas North and South of Jaco and is still in the running though.

I'll get back with more questions as I get further through this thing. Maybe start my own thread after I score too.

9. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Nice pics! I gotta get down there at some point! $500 for an SUV isn't so bad. If I go, I'll probably have my two best friends with me. We'll split the cost of the rental car, as well as the accommodation's.

10. imperial

imperial Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2008
    I've had a place in Jaco for over 15 years. I use it as a base camp to travel to Pavones, Dominical, and recently Santa Teresa for many years. This is a cool spot in Santa Teresa/Mal Pias:

http://funkymonkeylodge.com/

Heading to Playa Guiones for 5 weeks this summer. Need any advice PM me...I got all the hook ups in my second homeland.

Pura Vida mi amigo!

11. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Hermosa to Mal Pias is not a day trip correct?

12. imperial

Jun 2, 2008
    We leave Jaco in the morning, catch the ferry in punterenas...about a 60 minutes drive from jaco. Ferry runs on a schedule at different times and takes about 90 minutes. Chillin and relaxing ride. Once off the ferry its another 1 1/2 hour drive on so so roads. If you leave at sunrise you can be in Santa Teresa by noon. Great trip for a few days. Great waves all along that side of the country and WAY less ass beating than Hermosa....

13. imperial

Jun 2, 2008
    There is also a boat taxi from jaco that takes about an hour. You can take a few boards on the taxi. Santa Teresa is a two day trip at minimum...you will want to stay longer. They have something for everyone...cheap hostels, high class places, great sodas, you name it...

14. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    sweet. def doesnt look as heavy as hermosa.

15. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    thx pump for the news. not getting down there til nov but so glad to hear it's 1.5 hrs to Jaco from airport. I got assigned rental car duties already, i assume that's phishy, so good to know to talk thru the airlines to see what they can offer. and sweet pics man

16. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    disclosure--the 1.5 was in light traffic. Depending on your arrival, traffic could be much worse. If you use Alamo, National (what i used) or Enterprise, you go to their respective counter straight out of Customs and they will take you to a van which takes you to the pick up facility a few miles away. You can also get an 'easy pass' that makes the tolls much better (i would request this when you reserve).

17. imperial

Jun 2, 2008
    My friends at Zuma will pick you up at the airport FREE in your rental car. You just have to drop the driver, Carlos or Mario, back off at their office in Jaco. If you are staying near Jaco check them out for sure. The price you see on their website INCLUDES the mandatory insurance the CR government requires.

http://www.zumarentacar.com/

If you are going to be near Jaco, check them out.

18. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    I have a buddy who did this. He liked it.

19. imperial

Jun 2, 2008
    Talk to Warren at Zuma...he's the manager. Tell him Jon from Costa Linda sent you.......