Why don't we spend more time discussing fitness and nutrition?

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by Toonces, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

You are welcome, yankee. Tlokein sounds as if he has a serious problem, at least, troublesome. It may be nice for him to try going to a higher altitude for a bit, just for a period of RELIEF. Dust mites etc do not exist at higher altitudes, as well as other allergy/asthma triggers. It just might help to give his immune system the time to heal a bit. Of course returning to sea level may bring back symptoms but at least he would be starting from a better starting point. A trip like that could be costly, though.
    The other thing for Tlokein to do is to consult with a board certified ALLERGIST, a second opinion other than ENT--they have different approaches to allergy problems.

2. Tlokein

Tlokein Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Thanks Barry. I appreciate the advice. Wasn't aware of a blood sugar connection to asthma, and haven't seen the allergist since I was tested. I'll have to look into both of those avenues. Good to know my ENT is on the ball too, I've thought he was top notch, but nice to have a second opinion. I have a good neurologist too, they are working on preventing\treating the cluster headaches.

Unfortunately at this point a trip above the tree line isn't an option. I had to burn PTO cover time when I was out dealing with this crap. To add to it, I'm transitioning jobs. Already have one offer on the table, and found out this PM that the one I was really gunning for is going to make me an offer. So I won't be able to take any PTO for a bit, but on the good side I'm finally getting off the Titanic.

I usually feel better when I'm at the beach. My Mom has problems with allergies\sinus\migraines (along with my sister and brother), and she and my step-Dad relocated to the beach a few years ago and she's been much better. I'd make that move to, for that and the obvious reason, but it's not the right move for the lil one. Once she's out on her own or college, I'll be pulling the trigger.

In the meantime just gotta keep grinding it out until the allergy shots sort things out. Kill it at the source. It's the snowball effect, and right now I'm pushing it back in the right direction. Being that I haven't gotten an infection this allergy season, I'm hoping I'm turning the corner. Just gotta stay positive and keep fighting.

Soon as this pollen lets up I'm going surfing. And celebrating the new gig. Hopefully the surf will be up. Regardless, it beats work. Better times ahead.\

Thanks again for the advice.

3. Tlokein

Tlokein Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Gaff,

Wonder of wonders the wife actually read that Keto link too, and she's gonna start making the meals along those lines. It's got some good info that's above the normal no sugar\no carb diets you usually hear about. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully she'll take it to heart about the plateaus and such, and not give up, to make it a lifestyle change. She's not the most patient woman on the planet, but gotta be in it for the long haul.

She makes pretty healthy meals already, but slips sometimes with the bread\pasta and will make deserts for the lil one, so more temptations around the house. Gonna work on just getting rid of it. If it's not around, ya can't eat it.

Hardest part I have is in the middle of the night. My blood sugar drops and I wake up famished and shaky, and it's just too easy to grab something sweet and wolf it down so my body will calm down and I can go back to sleep. I have no problem staying away from sugar during the day, none in my coffee, or lunch, or dinner, but when it's 3am and I can't sleep is when I sometimes falter.

4. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Gonna check the Keto thang, too. Gaff's weight dump is inspiring.

I've dropped from 222 to 210 in about a month, butt it's a daily & day-long struggle when driving the death desk of sedentary situational-ness. Gonna try to drop another 5-8 slabs in Nica later this week. Although I'll likely be weak as a kitten as a result. Da fukkkkkkkk!

5. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

12 lbs is a big drop for anyone--it will have a marked effect on your surfing, positive effect.
    I need to lose 10 lbs; started riding my trail bike today. This winter was not a good one for waves, favorable weather for other activities,...just a crappy one. But...weather did not account for my eating; my brain failed. I did however, keep up my weight lifting workouts.

6. mookieo2

mookieo2 Well-Known Member

May 10, 2013
    http://Surfstrengthcoach.com has some good stuff. I have the workout program. It has a lot to do with getting mobility back in your hips and shoulders. If you sit at a desk all day for 20 yrs and don't stretch properly you're going to lose a lot of mobility.

7. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I just ate at Mc D's. What a f@cking mistake that was. Horrible. I'm doing the Keto starting on May 1st. My diet has been horrible lately. Since I quit the Grizzly long cut, I've eaten more junk food than a 10 year olde.
    Starting to look like I have an inter tube around my waist. I'll check back in on this tread on May 14th to see how I've progressed. I want to still be bale to surf at a high level when I get to Barry's age.

8. HelpHelpLetMeOut

HelpHelpLetMeOut Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017

9. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011

10. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

11. HelpHelpLetMeOut

HelpHelpLetMeOut Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017

12. archy 2.0

archy 2.0 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    This winter a buddy was complaining about how his body seems to be falling apart. (He's 50) Outwardly he's in good shape. Lean, muscular, etc. I laughed at him beacause I always criticize his poor diet esp in PR. He says it's too expensive too eat organic and healthy there. I told him he's just lazy. Wonder bread and Jiffy that fake oily sugary sh*t they pass as peanut butter. BBQ with little greens to no greens. Empanadas with mystery filling. A couple o bananas. He always gets on me for being the organic vegan supplement nazi. I'm like I surf just as much as you and only 2 years younger and I'm not sore at all. Then I start talking about King Slater. Oh he's just a freak and it's a genetics.
    Uh not really. His talent is one thing. His longevity is another.
    http://www.worldsurfleague.com/posts/172394/healthy-living-eat-like-kelly-slater
    I don't follow football but that QB from the Patriots or somethin is mid 40's and just signed a 7 year contract (so I heard) Brady!!! that's the dude. Well he's all about tons of fresh organic fruit, veggies, supplements, and super foods too.
    There's something to it.
    All you guys doin keto to lose weight. If it works kudos. But i'll tell you now if you sustain that diet your looking for a heart attack. Keto is nothing short of an Atkins diet. Yeah you'll loose weight, but Dr.Atkins followed that **** for years until he became worm food from a massive heart attack.
    Just like the Biggest Loser TV show host. Swore by the Keto. Great shape. Lean. Muscular. Had what doctors called a "Widow Maker" type heart attack. If it wasn't for the Dr at the gym and a defibrillator he'd be pushin up daisys too.
    Not tellin anyone what's good for them just be careful.

13. zagaff3r

zagaff3r Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2016

Hey TL, how's the keto going for ya?

14. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    TL was surfing last week when I was too hungover to head out with him, so I guess it's working for him. He's busy with new jerb, hence his lack of of posts. Somebody's got to be productive...:rolleyes: