surf rage

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by red dog, Apr 11, 2017.

1. archy 2.0

archy 2.0 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Hahaha I hear ya, but once I was courteous with that approach and it came to a board being shot at me and a "I Will Kill You!".
    No joke.
    I later learned his mom was dying from a brain tumor.
    Guy just snapped.

2. archy 2.0

Jul 5, 2012
    There's a guy in these parts known to many as HairBack.
    Aw man. He has caused alot of beef with his downright kookery and always wussed out of the fight.
    But his car has received much of the brunt with waxed windows and emptied garbage cans on it.
    Surfer Magazine even published a letter from a local here calling him out.
    Fkin classic.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017

3. raddadbrad

raddadbrad Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2015
    I love my quiver bro! But honestly I took a little hiatus from surfing this winter. Not many swells really got me fired up to take the time away from making money to chase barrels. So I bought my boys and myself motocross bikes so we can schedule our adrenalin fix. its been fun But Im ready to hit the water again! How bow ju? Still gitten it

4. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Yes, sir!! Lately I have felt more like a weekend warrior, but whatever, as long as I am still logging some water time! Have fun on the moto!!

5. archy 2.0

Jul 5, 2012
    It's been awhile, but i've seen it go down pretty hard around hear once or twice.
    Last time I surfed Rockaway (2002 or 03) some guy went out of his way to try and burn me. He got so close that right before i was gonna pop up he got right on top of my sh*t and I grabbed his arm to try and psh off him into the wave. He shoved himself into me and neither of us caught it. I said WTF! He gave me some lip. Clearly he was aggravated by the crowd. It was Sept. Hurricane swell. I told him to Suck IT! Then his friend paddled over and told me to watch it. I told him to Suck It too. They paddled away after I wouldn't back down.
    Saw them on the boardwalk a little later and they kept to themselves.
    Later learned they were cops in the town.
    Then no lie the dudes showed up at my spot a month later and all the boys didn't give an inch. They got burned endlessly were relegated to the inside scraps and then were never to be seen again in these parts.
    I might be comin across as some ego tough guy but in reality i'm pretty cool. I was an agro freak at home until I started traveling. My first trip ever was Costa Rica and I was surfing at Salsa Brava. I let the locals have their way but when I was in position I didn't back down and was goin for it. Later on in the sesh some local was gonna burn me and another told him to back off. Ended up making friends with the with those dudes.
    Show respect and get respect.
    Act like a douche Hair Back get your car waxed.

6. BradPitted

BradPitted Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2015
    I'm surprised you didn't get your **** thrown in.

7. Clownface

Clownface Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2017
    If that story about the cops is true and the whole lineup burned them in New York that's awesome

8. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I remember the first time I witnessed surf rage. I was 16, and aside from all the pecking order BS and the local crew v other local crew drama, I saw this old dude, he must have been mid 30s, he snapped at some kid who dropped in on him. Started yelling "You were in diapers when I was surfing here, you were in diapers!!!". It was a bad look.

9. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    I got dunked by some surly old IB local when I was 16, after I shoulder hopped him. He was pissed. Right before he dunked me, he said calmly "There will be no more of that".

I use that line occasionally now.

Try growing up surfing the Windansea era during the 70's. I don't remember too many sessions where somebody wasn't getting hassled or threatened.

But it always made for a well-regulated lineup, not much kookery was tolerated.

10. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    In the 70s at Sebastian Inlet 1st peak, they would do preemptive regulating. If you were sitting on the shoulder, not even thinking about taking off, the guy on the peak would fly down the line and aim at you, literately trying to slice you at the same time an off the lip was bashed. It was quite intimidating when I was maybe 18 years old, and the surfer was Jackie Grayson in his prime, with his fu manchu and sneer looking like some dude from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. I shuffled up to 3rd peak with the quickness.

11. archy 2.0

Jul 5, 2012
    Nah the time in NY it was a 'cane swell and the lineup was saturated with kooks and the local cop surfers were burning everyone every chance like in my situation. Cept I called them out on their BS and they backed down cuz two cops getting into a fight over waves woulda certainly been bad for their job.
    It wasn't until they came down to Jerz for a south swell where they received burning and pretty much left with their tails between thei legs never to return.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  12. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    Haha, good one dude. You know exactly what I'm talking about

13. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Ive had a few rage experiences at me. A few when i was learning and pissed people off. I was so scared i wanted to quit. Once I got to a level of surfing i never thought i was capable of (which isnt exactly wct quality) i was pretty grateful and proud of myself. Ive always been the guy to laugh when he gets snaked even when it means pain for me. Its not because im so nice but more because it makes me happy to be happy. Only once i got mad at another surfer.

All that said i love to be around surf fights. I get a stupid excitement out of listening to two waveriders pms. I dont smile or show that im entertained, but on the inside im 1000% eves dropping and judging. Its a nice little x factor to a session.

14. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I'm old enough to remember the days when you didn't mess with someone if they had a lot of ink. Nowadays, the guy with the neck tattoo probably works as a wine expert at Whole Foods and if you set him straight you stand a good chance of catching a non-felony assault charge i.e. "verbal threat of violence, aggressive posturing (a raised fist, jabbing a finger) or yelling angrily in someone’s face"

15. HelpHelpLetMeOut

HelpHelpLetMeOut Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    LOL

it was just a dunking and the kid earned it and charges were dropped

16. HelpHelpLetMeOut

HelpHelpLetMeOut Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    dave is on point and great stories sis and KR

weirdos like bubs will never get it: 'I sit silently and judge'

LOLOLOLOLOLOLO

17. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    I gotta admit, there was something "off" about that post. Definitely a window into the soul lol

18. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I guess I'm lucky being from nj,u don't have crowds to fight with unless ur too much of a wimp to paddle out alone.where I'm at theres 3 key spots that everyone flocks to in probably a 20 mile radius.so that's probably not even a 1/4 mile of sand while everywhere else looks exactly the same lol.

I guess id be pissed tho if I was some supreme local out at a spot with 20 people and u see kids come up and walk down the entire beach to paddle out where we are.

19. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    I'd rather surf a spot that regulates itself.

20. Wavestrom

Wavestrom Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Sure, but then when Deal tries to do just that, everyone gets all mad. Never seen it up here but then I'm surfing crowded beach breaks not going out to RI points, etc...