Surf Shop Experiences

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by mattinvb, Apr 21, 2017.

1. BANANABREAD

BANANABREAD Active Member

Aug 8, 2013
    I haven't been in a surf shop to buy anything in about 5yrs...and in that time I've purchased two new CI boards, 3 sets of fins, 5 suits, 4 pair of booties, 4 pair of gloves, 4 leashes, and about 2 dozen bars of wax...all online...and I saved on everything. My last board from CI this xmas was discounted w/ free shipping!...plus no sales tax...who gives a crap about a free bar of wax...buy online and avoid the aggravation, and put them out of business....

2. soulrider

soulrider Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    I've been in a lot of shops and some are chill but most of them are cliquey as **** and rude... REAL. Is a ****show I went in once and was dumbfounded by their prices and the treatment I got when I walked in. No one knew anything abd acted as if I was the hunchback of Notre dam... what is with the attitude thing in surf shops? They would move so much more product if they were just friendly.

3. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    The BEST surf shop experience I've had is with Kona in Wildwood. Friendly, accommodating, attentive. Complete knowledge of what an east coaster needs. And just as important, they easily under sell everyone else because it's all locally designed in house custom. I don't plug sh1t often but Kona deserves it.

4. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Chavez, we are going to have to surf together one of these days

5. HelpHelpLetMeOut

HelpHelpLetMeOut Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017

no dude this is standard, to cool to say hi, 'we're so core we vibe you in the shop AND the water'

honestly, if a shop isnt willing to work with me, I will just assume get the goods online, retail is digging its own grave.

Always go shaper direct for boards,

happy Saturday!

6. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Though i am friends with Scott and Curtis and get boards and stuff from them, up here we have Eric at Beach House in Bay Head with Tony in Jax and COS, and they are really nice guys, really helpful and really knowledgeable and local, in Bay Head.

7. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Good surf shops like existed back when I first started surfing are rare birds these days. Most are glorified hipster clothing stores with a surfing theme. If you find a real surf, shop go out of your way to support it with your dollars or they may one-day all go away.

8. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Not harsh at all. I guess I think of buying a board closer to buying a car than I do going to target for whatever.

The guys at Freedom in VB are great. I try and buy as much of my stuff from them as I can... I appreciate the service and knowledge they provide, plus everyone there is super chill. The only reason I stepped foot in Real is they had the board I wanted in their shop, and I was planning on buying g it and riding it that day.

Looks like I'm going to follow MIS advice and go directly from the shaper. I just hope I don't get killed on the shipping charges

9. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

100 million % correct.

10. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    What CJ is saying is spot on. Any retail business is struggling to exist these days thanks to the internet. Most of the time the "vibe" is put out because you are looked upon as another tire kicker and cheap skate. I agree this is wrong, however their dreams of owning a buisness and lively hood depend on every dollar that passes through that door and many times leave without it ending up in the register leaving the owners and employees jaded toward the next. It's all about the money, every penny, nickel, dime, guarter, dollar adds up to running that business, so gone are the days where shops will take a hit just to gain a customer and to make them happy. It's a struggle no doubt but we as consumers need to realize the ultimate plight of the "retail store".

For many years now I've have only surfed customs because I know what I like to ride and what works for me. Sure there are boards I would like to try but I just don't have that kind of coin to put down on an experiment that everyone claims to be the sh!t or because some pro is ripping it.

I do feel bad that you could get the new board you liked from the rack there, but find local shop, patronize the hell out of them, work with the local shaper and eventually these things won't matter.

11. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    That's spot on DonQ. My shop only sells boards he shapes or used boards. If there's a CI you like, he will copy it for half the price. Not to bash anyone but i feel bad for the dudes who but brand name boards. So much money and when you don't like it they sell it used still for more than a custom. Once i realized what i like in a board i went in and got it shaped. Basically had everything figured out myself but took some input from my shaper. Now i can go in and he has a file on it, so he can remake it with slight tweaks if need be. It's the way to go 100%

Around me there's not many shops only two really in my area. The two i mentioned. Seems like the shops to go to are the ones that don't have name brand boards one there racks. Just boards they shaped themselves. I used to go down to OBX to surf and visit my uncle and I'd buy my boards and suits down there since it was cheaper. So many shops. Allot of them have become hipster clothing stores. Gotta find the diamond in the ruff and support it

12. ChavezyChavez

Jun 20, 2011
    Anytime brother. Plenty of space on the local sandbar.

13. mrcoop

mrcoop Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Funny when you talk about surf shops....Use to deal with doc when I was kid....I was sponsored by surf east wetsuits and he carried that line, if any you old dudes remember that suit company, and enjoyed going to his shop...even had him shape me a shortboard and may be the only shortboard he ever shaped....haven't dealt with him in years...not sure why and his shop hasn't changed a bit...may have to stop in and say hi...but our area has some really good guys that I deal with...Blair, Lee, Spike, Mark...at least for me, all have always treated me well, even when I first time walked in the door. I try to buy as much as I can from surf shops and will pay more...the brick and mortar is really going through tough times....and on top of that, they have to fight against places like marshals, tj max and those other type stores, as well as the heavy online hitters. I certainly don't want to see the surf shops go by the curb, tho I think the ones in our area are somewhat solid with regards to the economy. I don't buy everything from them, but I certainly try to spend the bulk of my surf money to the local outfits as long as iam treated well...like a simple, "Hi"

I remember sunshine house, sundancer, bb bombers, OC surf sport, clear light...all which are no more. MAN I feel OLD.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  14. ChavezyChavez

Jun 20, 2011
    That's why I like Kona. Their "flagship store" carries all the clothes/flip flop/rental stuff and they have a board house where you get a more personal experience without all the touristy crap.

15. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
  16. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    i never go to a surfshop to buy new, and really don't haggle on consignment boards unless they've been there a while (+month). I do understand tho buying from the store, just to get a feel and being cautious or more eager when ordering online. I'm one that gets mines' fixed from the shop tho, unless it's minor. I've had recommendations to skip the "middleman" on rep-heirs, but i've gotten skrewed that way with shty outcums that you can't techniclly btch about cuz the dude knows the dude that recommended him in the first place - one of those awkward thngs. Anyhow, i got a board - "The Projekt" - that is serving as a constant reminder of the turrible vice to skip the middleman, just glad it happened to dat board than one i'm more highly invested in

17. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Got my first new board from that shop. Tony and Mark... I think. In fact, I remember their first shop, Kona Bike and Skate? on Pacific Ave? Wow... going back a long time. Two adjacent shops right next to each other. Tony was the first guy out, and Mark carried on after they moved the shop. Got my first skateboard there, too. There was nowhere else to go! At least they surfed...

18. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Bunger?

19. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Unsound in LBNY is a great shop... one owner rips (Dave) and the other is one (Nelly) of the best photogs on the east coast... known them for years and never had a bad experience. Good local dudes that do right by their community

20. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    If youre in NJ go to Gordons. Ask for Gordon.

He does it right.

Cant say the same about a lot of other shops.