Do you suck at surfing? Have you accepted it yet?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by fungus, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Banned for being awesome

Banned for being awesome Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  2. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    "After the surfing instructor pushed me into my first wave it took me 5 years to catch one on my own" How is that even possible? Explaining that would be potentially an interesting subject. Also....who is obsessed with something and then only does it for 8 months of the year?

Lefty likes this.

3. HelpHelpLetMeOut

HelpHelpLetMeOut Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
  4. Clownface

Clownface Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Surfers suck in bed because they're always mind surfing a perfect peak. I dated a surfer girl and she would just starfish, presumably because she was so stoked

5. Banned for being awesome

Banned for being awesome Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2012
    2 words: female surfers

6. red dog

red dog Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
  7. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Well, I might suck at surfing but at least I don't suck at schoolyard gymnastics.

[​IMG]

8. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Author sounds like a kook. But he does sort of make a good point. Maybe not in his situation.... if he falls as much as he makes it sound i can't imagine that being much fun. But for normal guys like most people on here. I think he makes a solid point. We will never surf like our favorite pro. But that's ok. If i screw up on a turn or something, it's all good and ill usually laugh. This isn't my career and ill never master the art of surfing. Screwing up is expected. If i nail a solid turn, it sticks with me and gets logged in the spank bank.

But yeah author is a kook. Who spend thousands of dollars on boards when they can only make a drop and trim a fraction of the time.

9. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Yes, I do accept it--you guys all suck at surfing.

10. HelpHelpLetMeOut

Mar 2, 2017
    Bassmon- its a her, the author is a woman

shocking, I know

A woman wrote a book?!- King of Siam

11. rhode island sale

rhode island sale Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2014
    People who hate the cold and don't care if others think their "hardcore". She clearly doesn't care. You could also ask the question how could you possibly be obsessed with surfing and live on the east coast instead of Hawaii or California. You can surf everyday before/after work with solid waves instead of once a week or less on this coast. It's all relative. As far as going 5 years without catching a wave, that doesn't make any sense. But, just visit Narragansett town beach in summer. You know that hardcore place you have to bring a knife to regulate the lineup.:rolleyes: There's people who are just floating on their boards when it's completely flat and even paying/renting surfboards when it's a complete lake. They just paddle around. Just bizarre. I don't consider that surfing, but it doesn't bother me. I think these people visit the beach one time when there's waves and rent a board and think it's like that all the time so they go and buy all kinds of gear not realizing how flat it is most of the time.

As far as the article. Who cares. She's having fun. Most people take surfing way too seriously anyway and have and ego. I find that arrogance WAY more annoying than someone who can't stand up.

Btw= I'm planning on hitting up gansett soon, anyone know where I can buy an attachment to my wetsuit for putting a knife so I can cut leashes of kooks who run into me? I want to be prepared.

12. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    ^^^^Not exactly disagreeing with your point. But as far as your east coast statement....your pretty damn wrong. I'm not claiming its better than Hawaii or California. But you RI guys tend to have this sort of view on the east coast. You realize that almost every other state on the east coast has a much bigger swell window than RI, right? I very rarely see it lake flat around here. That's a RI problem, not an east coast problem.

13. HelpHelpLetMeOut

Mar 2, 2017
    Rhode island sale, maybe her and her skank a$$ friends can crowd up your break and waste your time with kookery during the one day a month you get swell

Im gonna be busy surfing and aint no body got time for dat

14. rhode island sale

rhode island sale Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2014
    True, RI is very tucked in and has terrible swell exposure, but Maine/NH/south shore of MA actually have smaller swell windows. If we got rid of LI and the offshore new england islands, we'd have much better exposure. Maybe global warming will bury long island. One can hope ;)

That being said, I'm not wrong. You can't surf 5-7 days a week in waist to chest high waves for months on end with clean conditions anywhere on the east coast unless there's some kind of my mythical island I'm not aware of. Nantucket island is about as close as it gets for consistency to the west coast and there's still a lot of flat days. You'd get more surf in Orange county in a 3 month summer than you'd get in 10 years anywhere on the east coast. Just take a log for yourself. Count the number of chest high wave days you have, than go on surfline and look at the cams around the newport CA jetties. Compare notes over a year. Summer is not even comparable. You will be absolutely destroyed in summer when they average waves over waist high at about 89/90 days over a summer. But even the rest of the year there will be an enormous difference. Night and day. I have no dog in this fight. I'm an east coaster just being honest with myself. I'm ok with once a week on average during fall/spring/winter dropping to once every 2 weeks in dead of summer. I'm sure you obviously get more than me at your location though. Not questioning that.

15. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Actually, truth be told, you are NOT an "east coast" surfer. RI faces south. If there is no south in the swell, you are flat.
    Not so for your nemesis. MA,NH, ME. We get east swells, you don't. We get NE swell; you don't. We get SE swell; you might, depending on how much south there is. You do, however, fare better than other New Engladd states during the rare hurricane swells coming up from the south. But once they pass the Cape, we get them, you are all done. You are a "south coast" surfer....<grin>

So, I would then guess you are one step above surfing in Texas on the Gulf Coast. Maybe you should try paddling out behind some oil tankers as they do in the Gulf. But wait!! You liberals suckasses don't allow tankers in your area, do you?? You might get your peepee dirty?? lol
    And have fun with the new "gansta" rules in Providence........

16. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    You guys are reading wayyyy too much into the story and it's writer.

She's a writer from the NYT and she's an elitist kook noob.

End of story.

Everything else is blah blah blee blee blah

17. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    Never said i could surf 5-7 days a week in waist to chest high stuff. Not disagreeing there. But i have kept a log although i don't anymore. You can get out in surfable conditions, which in my opinion is a at the very least a thigh high wave, multiple times a week. I surf less than i did before i had a real job, but i still get out about 3 times a week. And more often than not its bigger than thigh. Knowing your spots and not being afraid of some onshore winds is a good thing.

Point being, its surfing. Yeah we're not handed prefect conditions everyday. You got to work for it. Travel a state south of need be for better winds. You realize how big California is? Its basically the entire west coast. That's a huge state. You don't think those guys have to travel south/north at times? And again, I'm not claiming the east coast is better than west coast or Hawaii. I'm just saying, the guys that talk about the east coast like it's a lake more often than not are doing it wrong. Expecting pumping conditions everyday is not realistic. Look in the who's been surfing thread, posts almost daily from mostly east coast surfers.

18. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    How could you possibly be obsessed with surfing when you live on the east coast..... that was the question. Answer is because we get enough surfable days to keep that passion alive. That is unless you live in a state with a very small swell window or don't know where to go on certain tides to get the most out of a smaller swell

19. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Dude people live in Philadelphia and Texas and are obsessed with surfing.

Says a lot more about surfing than it says about the coast you live near.

20. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I know that!!
    But I use it as an opportunity to dish out sh1t, man!!
    Retirement is boring if you do not have something to do, someone to annoy......