Shipping Surfboards

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by mattinvb, May 25, 2017.

1. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Got a new board being shaped by someone not in my local area, and shipping the board directly to me. I know some of y'all have done this in the past. Are there any insurance companies that you would recommend, or do you just use the shipping company's insurance (I don't know who that is yet - have an email into the company rep I've been dealing with but have yet to hear back). I'm really leery of having a board shipped, not insuring it. Any non-medical advice would be greatly appreciated

2. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    "Watch your cornhole Bub!"

On a serious note, If they pack it properly it shouldn't be a problem. I've never had a boart shipped though so I'm not much help.

3. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Call Moonlight Glassing in San Diego and talk to them. They ship tons of boards and have buttloads of experience, they'll point you in the right direction.

4. oipaul

oipaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2006
    I've had a lot of customs shipped via FedEx and never had any insured. Never had one damaged either. as long as the packing is good you should be in good shape.

5. Exit98

Exit98 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Fed ex delivered my last 2 boards...without the box. Both were damaged. The whole chain of events was shady on the drivers part. They paid for the repairs and refunded the entire shipping cost.

Moonlight ships via freight. As in a big truck will be delivering it. Its over $200 to use Moonlight, plus a packing charge of like $50 per board.

6. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I have heard of people using Greyhound.

7. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I've used Greyhound before from NC to FL 25 bucks. packed it myself no damage.

8. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    There we have it! It was probably you I heard it from last lol

9. frothy cheese

frothy cheese Well-Known Member

May 6, 2016
    packed a board myself when i was in hawaii and yet to find a simple way to send it back. any medical or non medical suggestions?

10. frontsidecrotchgrab

frontsidecrotchgrab Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2012
    No insurance needed if you use Fedex. Just declare the value. If they damage it, you file a claim and then they'll pay the difference or whole cost, depending.

11. archy 2.0

archy 2.0 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Me too. Don't bother with insurance. Make sure you open it while driver is there though. The shipping company will reimburse for damages.

12. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I've shipped many boards UPS. When you enter the declared value, UPS automatically generates and includes insurance into the final shipping total. Just be sure they pack it very well/properly and include your address on a separate sheet of paper inside the box, in case the address on the outside becomes illegible (it's happened to me).

13. mattinvb

Sep 9, 2014
    oipUL, archy and waterbaby, thanks! This is exactly what I needed to know.

14. JTS

JTS Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Hey Matt now that we got through that, what are you having shaped? By whom?
    I have had quite a few shaped/shipped from guys on the west coast only had a small damage on 1
    Post some pics when you get it
    JTS

15. mattinvb

Sep 9, 2014
    Sorry it took me so long to reply man, just been super lazy.

Anway, I ordered a 5'10" × 19.75 × 2.5 chilli rare bird. Just arrived today. Took about twice as long as the US rep said it would, but he knocked the price down some as a result. Super excited to ride it tomorrow. Gonna drive down to rodanthe to catch it a bit bigger than here in vb and see how it goes

16. mattinvb

Sep 9, 2014
    can't get pics to upload...will try later