huge swell end of week

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by radicalbro1026, Nov 8, 2009.

1. radicalbro1026

radicalbro1026 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    where is this coming from???

2. oclaxer52

oclaxer52 Active Member

Oct 4, 2007
    don't worry about it

3. NewJerseySponge

NewJerseySponge Active Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I'm pretty shocked myself but just like any forecast, it will prob hit in the chest to head range.

4. lbsurfer

lbsurfer Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2009
    great answer

5. SearchForShacks

SearchForShacks Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    i would hope for it to drop.. east swell that big.. closeout city

6. aneka

aneka Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Huge Swell

I believe Hurricane Ida is going to wrap around - coming by land then sea, by this week's end- combined winds- the perfect storm.

7. ocripcurrent

ocripcurrent Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Huge balls in your mouth at the end of the week

8. ecoastprock

ecoastprock Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Yeah actually it is. Hurricane Ida is supposed to pass over the SC/Georgia area then strengthen into a Noreaster/Hybrid storm system by next weekend.

9. Nails

Nails Active Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Uhh, the ocean

10. bmore surf

bmore surf Well-Known Member

May 20, 2006
    it is there just to get the forum going.

11. bodyboarddude

bodyboarddude Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2009
    they forcast that cause they know it's good for us.it builds character & puts hair on our chests.....:p

12. 34thStreetSurfing

34thStreetSurfing Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    I love how all the big swells always come on the weekends it makes it so much easier (knock on wood)

13. capesurfer

capesurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2007
    way too long term, it's hard to predict weather beyond a couple days, so many variables involved. right now they are putting Ida swinging inland and being over/off the coast of georgia in 5 days. so maybe what this is coming from is that. though, apparently Ida is going to meet 40 mph of wind shear as it makes landfall and is supposed to drastically weaken, not to mention it will be losing it's fuel supply from the warm waters of the gulf.

14. Mooseknuckle

Mooseknuckle Well-Known Member

May 12, 2008
    educated answer.... I like the application of you atmospheric science knowledge...If anyone wants a pretty good sight to look at weather charts and upcoming systems check this out:
    http://www.dejongonline.com/weather/weathermodel.htm
    if you look at the gfs model (long range model) it looks like a strong low will be working its way our way (im guessing this is ida based on previous posts)...check out tha site its cool if your a weather geek

15. sosodel

sosodel Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2008
    So if its Ida thats gonna be causing the waves which will be south of off the coast of georgia you say, why do the wave maps make it look like the swell is coming from the north and the winds are coming from the north?

I don't understand mother nature but glad to see some waves coming

16. ECboarder

ECboarder Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    yeah. if its ida hows it coming from the south like you said? if it does turn out good, will anybody be in obx?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  17. Northender

Northender Guest

I'm going to the obx regardless planned this trip four weeks ago and there turns out were gonna get waves. Hopefully the winds cooperate.

18. chrys1119

chrys1119 Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2009
    sweet but gonna have to wait though till Sunday morning for it to clean up

19. CleanandGreen

CleanandGreen Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Way to early to determine Ida's exact track. Could be close to the coast, or could move off a little depending on what this next front does and how fast it will make it to the east coast. Could be a quick mover towards nova scotia, but wave maps have it moving very slow=mucho fetch for mid atlantic. Start choosing your south facing, sheltered spots wisley!:D

20. onlyinmyfiji

onlyinmyfiji Active Member

Jan 5, 2009
    21ft swell? Really?

21ft swell? Really? That's a bigger prediction than Bill around here. Prolly won't get that big, hope it stays rideable later in the week.