Longboard advice

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by TubeDoc, Jun 13, 2017.

1. TubeDoc

TubeDoc Active Member

Nov 9, 2015
    I am about 6' and 180 lbs, and looking to get a longboard with a more classic shape that lends itself to trimming and nose-riding (not that I can do that now, but that is the goal....). BUT - here's the catch - I want something shorter than 8'6" so that it fits more easily in my car.

Is this possible for my size? Anyone have experience with such a shape?

Thanks in advance.

2. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008

3. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I can fit my 9ft LB inside my wife's Corolla, go with a 9ft, which is where true LB's start.

4. TubeDoc

TubeDoc Active Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Not sure if the wavestorm suggestion was serious, but I want something higher performance, particularly for the winter when I have 10 extra lbs of rubber weight on and I want to up the wave count.

I may end up with something in the 9' range, but I figured I would ask to see if anyone has experience with something shorter but with extra volume in the right places. Do i just need to shrink and lose weight?

also, for clarification, im sure i will still end up shortboarding in anything over waist high, so this is meant as a way to get in the water more when New England is only serving up waist high cold mush but im still starving....

5. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    My first "LB" was an 8'1" McTavish (which I still have), came as a 2+1, switched it to a single fin, that led me to getting a real LB. It's a great board and has decent maneuverability but you'll wish it was a tad longer to get that glide.

6. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    An 8'6 with the right shape can start to suggest what a longboard feels like. But like DP said... you don't really get a true longboard, with all the benefits, until you get to 9'0+. If stuffing your board into your car is the limiting factor, give up on the idea. Get lockable racks.

7. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    http://jblairsurf.com/surfboards/longboards

I was "board" at work so I did a little research. Joe Blair is the shaper. Seems legit and relatively inexpensive. Anybody have any real life experience with these boarts?

8. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I am your size. I had a Robt August made for me 8'8" and is perfect for small day and large days if I decide to use a LB. Model is "What I Ride".
    Fits inside my Subaru Outback easily or on roof of car.
    Three fins 2+ 1 works well.

9. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Wavestorm IS serious wave surf riding gear:

[video=youtube;2D5ugxEVBXA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D5ugxEVBXA[/video]

10. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Get another car. 1974 Coupe de Ville is a good starting point

11. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    You stated in your OP that you don't know how to trim or nose-ride. Yet, you want something "high performance."

You're a marketing rep's dream, sparkye newbie.

A Wavestorme will set you back all of $150.00. You'll catch more waves, learn how to angle in, learn a propere pop-upe, learn how to trim, learn how to turn, learn how to tie your leashe propere like & maybe in the process avoid having your shiiiite thrown in the water. Most of all, you'll have fun. If it's good enough for JOB...

Then againe, by all means, shell out $800-1,200 for a new WIR or Takayama or Chris Ruddy & let us know how that works out for yee.

12. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
  13. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
  14. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    So you're a lesbian huh?

15. TubeDoc

TubeDoc Active Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Thanks, Yankee, but I think you read too much into my post. I was just making the point that my nose-riding skills are not the best. I have spent the last 20+ years on shortboards, but, contrary to what many shortboarders will claim, I think that the best longboard surfing is a different skill set altogether. Maybe I'm in the minority on that one...

For what it's worth, I am also (sort of) proud to say that I have only ever owned second-hand surfboards, so you've got me wrong on that count, too.

To CBSCREWBY and Barry Cuda, thanks for the recommendations! The Blair "Super Ugly" and "Mini Longboard", and the Robert August "What I Ride" are all good food for thought. Much appreciated.

16. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

No, but I do bring them back from being lesbians once I snare them in my Subaru!!

17. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    You sound awfully Canadian Mr. Cuda... Most in the know drive the Sube up here..

18. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I didn't read anything into your post, campesino. I went with exactly what you posted.

No biggie. Hope you do well with the transition to longboarts. Which are, by the way, at least 5-6 times more difficult to do complete turns with than on a shortboart.

19. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    Lesbaru

20. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Just don't plan on learning to noseride on it if it's in the 8'0-8'6 range.