1 foot @ 18 seconds this weekend

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by Losttsol, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Special Whale Glue

Special Whale Glue Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2011
    5 day swell, 5 days of extra shi tty wind to go with it (nj). The wind never blows that hard, that long here unless it's the winter westerly. I'm so curious to see what this swell looks like without the snotty wind.

2. Special Whale Glue

Oct 8, 2011
    Word 1.6@20

3. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Is this a mythical Brazilian swell? How does 18 seconds even happen in the atlantic?

4. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    It comes from a long ways away. Canaveral nearshore and Ft Pierce buoys in Florida showing 0.3@20.

5. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    My local Buoy (ILM2wave) was showing 2.6 feet at 20 Seconds at 5am. Paddled out at 5:45.

The surf out front wasn't stellar. Some little rides and the occasional ground swell set, that's about it. When I was getting out around 7:30 it seemed to be picking up a bit. Beautiful morning though!

6. JawnDoeski

JawnDoeski Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Your all wrong

Don't forget to account for the local windswell factor here in Jerz

There head high dumpers right now but it's on shore soup

Stink Bug only surfs the Malibusquan Inlet so he don't know what I be sayin'

BET

Barry Fumunda Cudda still swell infos #1 moron

BET

7. Special Whale Glue

Oct 8, 2011
    2@18 now. I surfed and it was waist-shoulder+. Some fun ones despite the wind, but it was pretty mixed swellz.

8. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    For sure, there are quite a fews spots that handle 12-13secs nicely from Palm Beach to Jax.

15-18 gets a bit trickier, but there are a few spots that are real tasty with the right conditions.

9. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Swell angle is key.

10. Special Whale Glue

Oct 8, 2011
    Aka "swangle"

11. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    #AngleOfTheDangle

12. Aguaholic

Aguaholic Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Monster hole holds 15-18 seconds just fine pretty much any angle. Problems is peeps either can't make the 1/4 Mile paddle or are shook by, well you know how it got its name. Was just there for the Catri memorial paddleout last weekend.

13. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    exactly 1/4 mile paddle out,got to think of it like this.18 seconds between each wave,that waves going to be rolling for a long time and its going to need to break much further out,thats why our beaches in nj cant handle long period swells,u need a spot that can handle the energy

14. Aguaholic

Aguaholic Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Yeah agreed, I lived in NJ half my life. Although Loch Arbor did hold a ridable peeling 16ft. swell one day about 11-12 years ago. I got the pics to prove it. Bryan Zinski was charging it too that day. Manasquan used to be able to hold some mackers too, not sure about now haven't been up north in a few years.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  15. Ryan7

Ryan7 Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Solid chest to shoulder high sets. NE winds and the longer period push shot the water temp way up. Not breaking further out, but you could tell there was some extra energy in the water this evening by some of the sets and the water movement. Wonder if this long period push had a factor with the rip currents that caused the recent drownings down the coast yesterday?

16. trevolution

trevolution Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    its funny watching everyone sh it the bed over a swell period in the high teens. In the winter we get plenty of swells weekly in the mid to high twenties and noone even blinks, or really even bothers to paddle out.

probably should keep my mouth shut and not blow up my spot

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  17. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    This. The sandbar near me will hold it at the right spots, but will break further out, and it's hard not to end up inside chasing the wind swell peaks.

18. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Same in the Carrib. Then it's ON.

19. trevolution

trevolution Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    oh yea the islands and eastern centro eat that **** up. And if your not careful the reefs will eat a surfer up haha.

20. Special Whale Glue

Oct 8, 2011
    It's funny watching you repeatedly talk sh it about others while tooting your own horn. The point is, anything over 15sec on the east (p ussy) coast is a rare bird, hence the conversation. There is no need to keep selling people on how core you are, Laird.

For the rest of us: This swell produced in my area. We had plenty of juicy chest-head+ waves with decent conditions at times. Close outs were not an issue. We're on day 5 and still going! A lot of guys are actually surfed out. Currently 2.3@15.4