Being Your Own Boss

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Kanman, Jun 14, 2017.

1. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Most guys I know that own their own business are consumed by it, and have very little time to spend all that money they're making.

OTOH, a handful of them now oversee only the executive level stuff, and actually make time to enjoy the fruits of their labor.

A lot of factors come into play in this, IMO it's the guys that don't need to constantly control every facet, and hire excellent trustworthy people to hand the reins to, that successfully balance work life and quality of life.

Many believe that work is life. I'm not that guy. Work is an inconvenience that gets in the way of life.

2. Kahuna Kai

Kahuna Kai Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    I couldn't agree with you more. I am self employed and while not getting rich, I live at the beach, my office is at the beach and I can surf anytime I want. I think I have the best work life balance of anyone I associate with.

3. Kahuna Kai

Dec 13, 2010
    I was in a cube doing the 9-5 for about 10 years, frequently watching the waves fire on a Tuesday at 11am and wanting to jump out the window of the high-rise. I knew I wanted to be in business for myself, make decent money, have the freedom to surf when it was good, and be able to afford to take surfing trips. In 2009, when I turned 30, I decided I would try to go to law school.

I imagined someday having a small law practice where I could help regular folks with routine legal matters. I got in to law school in 2010 and graduated in 2013. While law school was one of the hardest endeavors I have embarked upon, I managed to score a lot of waves and miss very few swells despite regular putting in 12 hour days studying. I just surfed when it was good and studied when it wasn't.

I worked for a small firm from 2013 until January of this year. My first and only employer as an attorney did not understand surfing or make exceptions for me to show up late after a morning session, but I still managed to squeeze a few in. In January of this year, I resigned and hung my shingle and it has been great. I read a lot of the posts by other business owners above, and they are correct. When you are the business, you work more. You have to for it to succeed, but that makes it worthwhile to me. Trust me, I am not complaining about the fact I worked a 14 hour day on a Monday and had to meet with clients on a Saturday when I surf from sunrise until noon on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

It takes courage and a plan to break off on your own, but if you are able to successfully make that leap, it is the only way to live life. Right now I am in my office wearing shorts and a Hawaiian shirt and my dog is asleep in the lobby. I just saw the buoy perk up to 2 feet at 18 seconds, so I gotta go for now.

4. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    ^^^ He aint lyin. I saw him do it. Good work dude!

5. Kahuna Kai

Dec 13, 2010
    And I saw DPSUP break away from his corporate overlords to work remote in one of the best surf zones in the state. There are a million ways to make surfing a priority in your life if it really is. DP figured out how to keep his steady job with a company he's been successful with for a long time AND live 10 minutes from great surf so he can bookend his days with sessions and sneak out for a lunch surf from time to time. No more Office Space bulls*** for DP, just wake up, surf, work, repeat.

6. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    :cool: I appreciate the encouragement along the way. You motivated me.

7. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I'm curious to know if everyone on here has a corporate desk job or is there anyone in the construction trade like me?thats why I never got noodle arms lol I'm always lifting heavy sh1t 60hrs a week

8. HelpHelpLetMeOut

HelpHelpLetMeOut Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    its hard to make straight cuts and do real work while sh1tpoasting here cep

we all desk monkeys except bassmon I think

9. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I'm not in construction but my business is partially construction, desk work, custodial, mechanic, customer service, web design, web promotion. You have to be a jack of all trades if you don't want to hire someone.

10. nopantsLance

nopantsLance Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    AGREED
    Why You Love Capitalism[video=youtube;SY0V8XVsX1U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY0V8XVsX1U&feature=youtu.be[/video]

11. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    I'm in the trades cep.
    I've been self employed for the last 15 years or so and yes, you definitely work for your customers. For example I live about 5 minutes from my favorite couple local breaks but miss a lot of good days or am so exhausted can't get myself to paddle out and surf like sh!t. I'm on it today and tomorrow but we have swell all next week and I have to leave RI and work the whole week in Hartford CT. for focks sake. Sacrifices we make. But other times when things aren't hectic Im on it till I can't paddle anymore. Lot's of interesting stories on here, yours especially Yank. I couldn't do it with that many employees, I stress when I have to hire a big crew, but keeping it small works for me, impressed you hook up that many people without college degrees. that's awesome.

12. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    i travel, i go to our industrial facilities, i sometimes sit in front of a computer in an office and if so i post on si

13. ibc

ibc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    I work for a dude that does concrete and asphalt. Mostly in apartment complexes. My main job is paint striping parking lots. Do other stuff to help out in between striping jobs. I do some liftin, but not as much as mi companeros de trabajo. Concrete dudes lift some heavy sh!t. That's how I broke the infamous chestbone, the FIRST time, a few years back. I'm mostly walkin mileage around apartments in the coolness of gentle Houston summers.

14. nopantsLance

nopantsLance Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    [video=youtube;NisCkxU544c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NisCkxU544c&index=49&list=RDchhUG53PdSI[/video]

15. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I worked desk jobs for years was always miserable. I realized I needed to sweat. I then found out I hated to sweat but not as much as sitting behind a desk.

16. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I agree.the work sucks most of the time lol but its good exercise.it keeps u in shape for when the big swells come in

17. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Some really intriguing life stories in this heah treade.

I'm not trying to say my way is The Way; far from it, my journey has been make-it-up-as-we-go-along. We thought that we could kick the competition's ass so let's friggin do it. And, voila, in business.

As biz owners starting out, we made every mistake possible, and not just once, for years. Mostly with HR.

Hell is people. Until it isn't. And then you realize that maybe part of that hell is the guy in the mirror. And you fix that - - or your biz flounders.

I did varsity lax in college & then pro sport post-college, Wall Street for 5 yrs, before starting this thing of ours in DC metro. Why......I didn't want to work for someone, didn't want my life decided by a corporation.

I also knew one thing: I hated being poor. Other people control you when you're poor. I didn't want to be poor. Cause that's how we grew up. Were on welfare for awhile & survivor's benefits, mom died when me & bro were under age 10, dad just struggled with Life after mom died; it was those no-day-care-you're-on-your own daze. That good, sweet man went through a private hell that I don't wish on anyone.

I'm rambling, I apologize. Hard work, gents, and a willingness to learn / change - - I do think that there is a place at the top for any person who is willing to get his hands dirty, work hard & maintain perspective. But, numero uno is hard work. That would be 'the secret sauce' imho.

18. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Wow, so much discontent with your occupations/jobs.
    I fvcking loved my job. Great company. Called on top researchers in the USA. Attended conventions, annual meetings of top mD/ researchers. Sat in on top medical science discussions, etc.
    All of that due to education. Thanks, Mom and Dad, on insisting I go to and finish college--you were right; it did give me a better life!!
    But, in order to have that job, I had to work long, hard, and give up a lot of other pleasures in life. Getting that job was one thing; keeping it was much harder--had to be on the ball.

19. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    People speaking honestly, forthrightly barry....you always have to 'get a leg up' it seems, try to put guys down - - you've done well, you know tha markets, you could share some of your successes, your modus operandi other than mom & dad forced you to go to collitch; heck, you'll likely be a doddering old fool or dead by the time your lil one gets to college so you may as well play nice; it take about the same energy as being a jackass.

I do like ya barry :cool:

20. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Not trying to "get a leg up" at all. Just that there seems to be so much negative out there about jobs. Bottom line, college or not, it takes HARD WORK to succeed at anything. The only thing education afforded me was to work hard in an interesting environment. My earlier post is to point out that "IT CAN BE DONE".
    When I was in college, every Saturday, starting in my first year, I went downtown to Manpower and got work for the weekend, unloading trains, and tractor trailers. All my work companions were drunks, druggies, etc. I was the only person doing that, as my roommates were sons of high falootin lawyers, Surgeons, and Wall Street chair-holders. Ion fact, I was told that they had a saying "Never tell Cuda were you will sleep at night" because he will wake you up at 6AM to ask if you are interested in going to Manpower.
    I never gave up. Never. Finally, I got a job in my 3rd year as a "work-study" program for The Atomic Energy Commission doing lab work on mice after I irradiated them with a Cobalt-60 zap. That was my key to getting a good job in pharma.
    Sh1t, I was working so hard, my wife reminds me I was 150lb, 6ft dude....worn out and emaciated when she met me. Her mom sent me chicken pot pies and pork pies to my house; she told her daughter I was THE "keeper"......She still makes me the Quebec pork pies. Lucky I am.