What's up with da waves?

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by Kahuna Kai, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Kahuna Kai

Kahuna Kai Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Since Friday, I have been watching the buoy read between 2.5 at 17 seconds and 3.5 at 17 seconds up here in North Florida. The swell is slightly out of the southeast with light winds, but the waves are merely knee high and gutless. I have seen many a swell boasting the same stats bring fun waist to chest high, clean long waves, but this swell has brought f**k all.

I don't claim to be an Einstein, but after years of tracking swell, phenomenon like this leave me scratching my head. I've accounted for the tide and surfed during the best tidal conditions at my spots, with no wind to speak of while the buoy was reading as above, and nada. Crappy shore pound conditions.

1. decent long period swell, check 2. offshore or nominal winds, check 3. catching incoming tide, check 4. swell direction good, check. What am I missing here?

2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Your bouys could, quite simply, be reporting wrong data, for one.
    Winds in areas undetectable to you, may be blowing out the swell.
    Your memory of prior events may be failing you.
    Sh1t happens......

3. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Has there been any sand replenishment done at your breaks?

4. Kahuna Kai

Dec 13, 2010
    It's in process right now. Not at the spot I usually surf though, approximately 4 miles south of there though.

5. Kahuna Kai

Dec 13, 2010
    Very true.

6. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Hmm, that seems like a long distance for the sand to travel.

7. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Every single wind fucast was wrong for this past Sat morning at TPTSNBN. It was sheer glass from sunup til 0900-ish. No idea why things were wrong, though. As well, the 'small long period swell' wasn't small (knee high is small), it was pleasantly chest-shoulder on sets, which I don't say is beeg, but shoulder high on a 6'2 human is fun waves.

Anyways, I apologize because I realize that I've contributed absolutely zero to your treade, KKai :cool:

8. HelpHelpLetMeOut

HelpHelpLetMeOut Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    KKai, bathymetry and swell decay between buoy and your beach could be the culprit

9. Kahuna Kai

Dec 13, 2010
    who knows, I'll hijack Kelly's wave pool if the ocean continues to be so unreliable LOL

10. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I fixed that for you. Gunga Dings revenge!!

11. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    The ocean worketh in mysterious ways...BRAHHHH

12. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    "Gunga Ding" lol

You're a better man than I am