Montauk Camping?

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by foamieswithmyhomies, Jul 4, 2017.

1. foamieswithmyhomies

foamieswithmyhomies Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2014
    I'm thinking of heading out to The End this weekend, and was curious if any swellies know of good places to crash near either Ditch Plains or all the way out at the point.

I only plan on spending one night and am more than OK with folding down the seats in my car and sleeping there. However, I'm not sure if that's fair game in a state park parking lot, or if I'm going to get a ticket/flashlight in my window at 3 am. If there's someplace I can park for a night hassle-free, I'm more than willing to so.

Any ideas of how to spend a night out there without getting a ticket or reserving a campground a year in advance?

2. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    It'll be packed out there this weekend. Park in a hotel lot at night and sleep in the car. No one will fuk with you.

3. foamieswithmyhomies

Sep 18, 2014
    I figured that would work, either that or a strip mall lot. Not the most scenic place in the world but it's utilitarian at this point

4. HaoleNJ

HaoleNJ Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2010
    I'd use caution and plan accordingly. Don't expect just to park in an empty lot and not get hassled or ticketed. I went out to montauk a few years ago in late September. We pulled in a lot to check the waves and were ticketed in no more than 5 minutes while we were checking the waves. Mind you, no one was in the lot and it was a wash out rainy day. O yeah and the ticket was +$250 for parking in a permitted lot. I won't detail the lack of actual signage.

Montauk is beautiful but the town in my opinion clearly doesn't want visitors there and I m happy never to go back.

5. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    I don't know what your area is like, but in 3 of the states I've lived in, I've never seen overnighters hassled in a Wal Mart parking lot.

6. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

$250 for parking momentarily in a permitted lot. Here it is $100 for same offense. Seems as if Montauk has great idea, given your expression to never return. It works for them.
    I will suggest it here to our towns selectmen to do the same. Thanks for the suggestion.

7. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Consider yourself lucky! I got towed once doing the same thing. $260 to get it out of the impound lot!!!!

8. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Hmmm....another great idea!!!!!
    Keep writing them boys!!! My towns gonna be rich and my taxes will come down!!!
    And keep working and paying taxes--does wonders for my Social Security check!! And work some overtime as well!!!

9. HaoleNJ

HaoleNJ Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Seems to me your taxes will go up if people from out of town stop coming because you've ticketed them excessively. Law of deminishing returns.

10. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

No one cares--just don't come here. Stay away.

11. Wavestrom

Wavestrom Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Thinking about renting a house out in Montauk/Hamptons early August. Mostly not planning on surfing as it's a family vacay but how mobbed is it out there? Is beach parking tough w/o resident stickers or is it just a matter of getting there early like beach in NE?

12. foamieswithmyhomies

Sep 18, 2014
    Parking at the beach without resident stickers is impossible. You can park in town and take the shuttle/walk, but most parking is 2 hour max

13. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    It's really easy if you know what to do and where to go

14. Wavestrom

Wavestrom Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    I've been out here all week, surfing has been marginal (which is fine, didn't come here for that). The lack of waves however has not stopped everyone who owns a longboard from driving around with it on the roof of their trucks, you know, just in case there were waves, I mean someone was wondering if they were surfers