80's Surfing and Cultre

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by archy 2.0, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Oh shlt I remember that! Doug was definitely a ripper. I linked up his his brother Dave a few years ago on Facebook. You always knew it was on at the hook when Ellie and Wayne would pull up with Dave and Doug in the back seat.

2. archy 2.0

archy 2.0 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Ahh those were the days. Ellie even had a peak named after herself.
    Ellie's World.
    I remember Doug doin airs in the early 80's and Dave could do full rail turn round house cuttys on a one foot wave that didn't even break.
    Those dudes ripped and woulda been gettin paid.if they were around now at that age.
    They lived a block from me and when I was still sponging at 8 years old Doug showed me how to cut down the line and pull into tubes.
    Changed me totally and was hooked on riding waves ever since.
    The Cove has beens ruined by all the beach replenishment sand drifting North, and barely a glimpse of its former self, but on a good day cars full of dude from Montauk to Cape May come up this way.
    But hey nothing lasts forever.
    Hence the nostalgic reminiscent thread.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017

3. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Yeah it's amazing what happened to the hook. I was a local urchin back then, a permanent fixture between the cove and sewers. I think Doug and I are the same age, not sure what happened to him, maybe got into drugs? Too bad either way both of those guys ripped. I told Dave on Facebook what a legend they were to me as a kid, he just laughed it off, but they seriously were. The first time I ever saw them was probably 79/80 chest high tropical swell late august at second jetty. It was the first example of modern surfing I had ever seen and really humbled me. Before that I was convinced I was the king, after that I realized I was a complete kook.

4. archy 2.0

Jul 5, 2012
    Doug got caught up smoking meth and ended up being one of the bums sleeping under Crystal pier in PB.
    He's since cleaned up, married, 2 kids, working the produce section at Vons last I heard. Wifey keeps him in check.
    Still surfing when he can and still ripping.
    A friend showed me a pic Doug sent him of him in Hawaii a couple years back. Layin it on rail throwing some buckets.

5. archy 2.0

Jul 5, 2012
  6. archy 2.0

Jul 5, 2012
  7. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Good to hear!

8. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Pepe, oops I mean Archy check this out, 2 seconds in google I find this

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  9. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I love the most influential surfers, Derf and Rol. Wait it says mentors, that makes sense

10. archy 2.0

Jul 5, 2012
    Ho Lee Fuk Yeah!!!!
    Dougie!!!

11. archy 2.0

Jul 5, 2012
  12. punkaboy

punkaboy Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Mark Richards.. enough said.

late seventies and early eighties are what shaped Pro surfing and the culture.

going from single fin to twin fin and then trifin was what pushed the sport to where it is today. The wetsuits really sucked compared to today. Had to use duct tape in the winter and vasoline gel to help with the neck rashes.

[video=youtube;SDdBobNlEck]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDdBobNlEck[/video]

13. Toonces

Toonces Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2016
  14. Toonces

Toonces Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2016
    I graduated HS in 1989, but I am a latecomer to surfing and didn't start until 1992, winter, Sea Isle City NJ.

So, while I didn't grow up in the 80's surf culture, as I got immersed in surfing, a lot of the videos, etc. I watched were from the mid to late 80's. I can only imagine what it must have been like to live through that.

I find, now, I appreciate the 80's so much more, all around not just surfing.

15. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Scott, Derf and Rol are all still regulars. Rol, in particular, is still killing it. I can pick out his style a mile away.

The Cove surely isn't what it used to be, but it's still one of the best waves around when conditions are right. I moved up here in '95, just after the first round of replenishment, so I really don't know what it was like. But from the stories I've heard, and from what it's like now, I can only imagine it was literally a world class wave back in the '80s.

Still... The Hook holds some gem waves at times throughout the year, and there's still good surf locally if you do your sand reconne.

16. archy 2.0

Jul 5, 2012
    The Cove before the replenishment.
    Just imagine no sand up until where the dune grass is and waves consistently rideable from in front of the rocks all the way to the old WW2 cement structure way way down the beach.
    A true cove. Not the straight slant.
    Good on good days but I don't oils have to argue not as good as some of the spots down south during a true cold front South swell.

17. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Graduated HS 82. Started surfing and partying religiously in 78. Surfed Hatteras when it was Hugh the week after graduation on my favorite 5'6" twin fin NA. Favorite board ever. Started playing in a band getting paid and getting laid. 80's where awesome!

18. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Yeah south swell was tough on the cove, it was tough on all of Sandy Hook. We would sit up there all summer waiting for waves, we could never get a ride south. Once we got a car and could drive ourselves we left the hook on a knee high day and went down to the white wall in long branch and were shocked at how much swell there was. Remember that short jetty that sat between the two right out front? Well no kidding, the first time I saw that wave Doug Hopper was sitting in front of that pile of rocks and just killing these waist to chest high rights. I was lik "oh shlt, no wonder he's so good, while we were sitting on our asses all summer he was surfing, no fair!"

The hook as it once was

IMG_0863.JPG

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  19. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    ^^^That was when I first moved here. The water went right up to the wall at high tide, and those rocks right down in front always seemed to have a little wave. Might have had a few pilings too?

The best wave in that area was the loooong jetty in North Long Branch. What did they call that? USO? Keirnan? Gaskins? That was before my time, but I like hearing about it... I moved here in early July and got it good a few times... but then they destroyed the jetty... and the wave.

There was a surf shop... North End Surf Shop?... that sponsored contests. Was it a Hobie shop? And there was supposedly an ice house there, too... fish packing? A train used to run to it, I'm told.