pressure ding fixes?

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by mattinvb, Aug 19, 2017.

1. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    So I just got a new step up/mini gun this week and had the opportunity to ride it in 8-9 foot surf on Tuesday courtesy of Gert. Unfortunately I managed to put a dent/pressure ding in the bottom a little larger than a quarter in diameter. I looked through the archives here and on the surfer forum, and didn't really see much advice on how to fix it, other than some heat gun technique (but I fail to see how that would cause crushed foam to re-expand) that I'm not going to try.

Right now Im still pissed at myself that I dinged a brand new board the first day I used it. Do y'all know if it can be fixed short of cutting out the glass, slapping down some qcell and reglassing? If it were on top I wouldn't think twice about it, but this spot on the bottom is killing me.

2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Riding a board with a pressure ding is very out of fashion., so:
    Sell board, buy a new one. That is what we capitalist pigs do......oink, oink!!

3. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Will make you go faster:

[​IMG]

Kahuna Kai likes this.
  4. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Center fin is crooked; does it surf crabwise??

5. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Frisco on the sets sucka

6. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Yea it sucks but **** happens! I wouldn't worry aboot it too much it will not effect your boarts performance and accept the fact that there will be more in its future. If it not cracked don't fix it. So stop banging you head on you bort.

Kahuna Kai likes this.
  7. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I second donQ. If it ain't cracked don't fix it. Honestly id be disappointed if you didn't ding it in 8-9ft surf. That means you are actually surfing.

Kahuna Kai likes this.
  8. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I would drill a large hole through it, place clear glass on each side and then have a bottom-viewing surf boart so you can watch the fishes all day, and maybe a great white coming up to chew your ping......

Kahuna Kai likes this.
  9. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Boards without pressure dings are lame. Means they aren't being used. Congrats on the badge of honor. Show it off with pride and stop being a wuss about it. Only fugg with cracks and holes.

If you want a wall piece buy a wall piece.

Kahuna Kai likes this.
  10. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    I actually did the same thing to my new lost shortround on Tuesday night in some solid surf... decent size pressure ding on the bottom. Its a badge, where it proudly.

I hate poly boards for this reason, although I did have a couple locally shaped polys from Wynn that were strong as hell. He glasses thick.

Im all about alternative constructions now. I have a varial foam/hydroflex board and it's a TANK. I can see it lasting 10 years easy. Next board wil probably be a coil or lib.

11. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I still don't have any pressure dings or any dings at all on either of my Coils. Lots of mileage too.

12. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    ^ That's what I keep hearing. Definitely seems like a worthwhile investment. My friend just grabbed a flashback and I'm waiting for the ride report.

13. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Also congrats on the new board and sorry to hear about the crater.

14. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    You won't be disappointed.

15. mrcoop

mrcoop Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    size of a quarter...I wouldnt sweat it.

16. littlerhody

littlerhody Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    He must have found an offshore slab off of George's bank

17. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    If it's not cracked. If it's not leaking. Don't worry about. A small one like that is normal and you probably are not going to notice any loss of performance. Actually - you have more of a probability of noticing a difference by going thru the pain of fixing it and trying to blend in the repair.

If ... if ... you really HAVE to fix it, you can just fill it with resin. But I'm telling you not to worry about it. But if your gonna worry- tape off the area. Sand the existing glass, just a little to so it's roughed up an the resin will stick. Make the repair area level by placing your board in a way that it makes it level so the resin doesn't run off. Then pour just a little resin on to fill it- kinda like a big rain drop, once again not enough that it runs. When dry, sand the new resin flush with 120 , then wet sand at 240, 400 and 600.

18. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    A poly board is a living thing and a testament to swells well surfed. Once it gets old and brittle it's a dead sled. Enjoy the fact that it didn't snap.

And please quit rubbing it in. LOL ...The only way I could dent a board right now is to run it over in the parking lot.

19. The Screen Name Formerly Known As ABC123

The Screen Name Formerly Known As ABC123 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2013
    DISCLAIMER: I am not by any means a big wave charger, nor am I the ultimate deciding factor when it comes to wave heights.

Im in NJ and it was probably 4-5ft, Occasional bigger set wave.

But again, I was not in Frisco, so who knows, maybe it was 8-9ft??

With that being said, a legit 8-9ft wave on the east coast is SOLID and usually takes a powerful storm to produce that energy. I was watching the Padang Cam recently on surfline. The report said 7-9ft. Sure looked a lot bigger than any pics I saw of Gert along the east coast. IDK, maybe im just being a hater.