Grom Hazing

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by sisurfdogg, Aug 23, 2017.

1. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    When I was a kid learning to surf, we were always scared of the older guys. They would always hassle us and warn us off set waves, and blatantly drop in on us at every opportunity. On land we were never hassled.

Then in the 80's Surfing Magazine and the new burgeoning world tour thrust young shredders in their mid teens sometimes, into close quarters with elder tourmates, and received weeks of hazing and military style treatment while living in team houses on the North Shore. This was shown on videos and in magazines, and created the current culture.

This has been perpetuated by the Hello Treads here in this surf predicitin forum.

Hazing, or initiations, take place in fraternities, sororities, in the NFL, when you cross the International Date Line, the Equator, etc. Some have gotten out of hand, most you never hear about.

Is this a bad thing?

Have any of ya'll (youze guyz & galz), been on the giving end or receiving end of grom abuse?
    What is your attitude on this cultural phenomena as it relates to surfing?

2. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    not a bad thing at all. Humbles the new and makes them work harder.

3. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

It is rooted in homosexuality. And I kid you not; so say the pee-sychologists.....

4. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    yeah i agree. I certainly got it in OC in the 1980s. There were people at the inlet i did not want to tangle with - mostly getting yelled at / getting yelled off set waves. At the time it seemed like bull**** but when i i got a little older i realized they were very good surfers, all close friends sharing a good crowded wave they surfed like 100 times a year. There is no reason why 13 year old beginners should be in that mix, they let us know it, and like you said it made me work harder to become a surfer who could get a set wave off the rocks.

5. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
  6. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    According to you, everything on this site is.

7. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

How true.

8. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I don't really understand what hazing means,since theres so many different topics,but what I consider hazing is the gay stuff like people trying to put their finger in ur butt and make u lick it lol,happened at a school I know of lol.

now just being ****ed with,thats a whole different topic.never got messed with surfing,but on land id say I was "****ed" with from time to time

9. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I had some hazing. Nothing crazy. Just getting dropped in on and called off waves. I also knew my place just starting out so i often let the old dudes go and when i was all alone out back is snag one. Made me better in the long run i think. And now i get respect from all the old dudes. Been over a decade since i started surfing. Maybe 15 years or so. I'm not doing the math. But now I'm the one calling guys off waves. BUT i do it respectfully. If I'm in position and you look like your paddling for it, I'll get mouthy. If you back off, ill let you have the next one and call you into it. Of course every person and situation is diffrent. But if you don't let the new guys know there place, things can get real messy. Letting them know its not all fun and games will get them to open there eyes

10. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Him, Tilghman and Kurzbard were the ones i mainly remember. all good guys, i later came to realize. who were just trying to keep things straight in a hectic world, and a spot with 25 guys packed into 100 yards. at the time i really thought they were just mean ****s.

11. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
  12. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    He posted in ALL CAPS, it pasted this way, sorry, I tried to restore it no luck.. Who posts an entire rant in ALL CAPS?

i ****ing love this!!
    My name is christian fletcher and sorry about the language ahead of time but this has gone on to long and if your offeneded by it good you should be cause you are the problem!!!
    **** london **** his mom and **** ian cairns they can all eat a bag of ****s.
    Im so tired of these entitled little limp wristed ****ing pussies they drop in on me crash into me and then tell me “**** you leave” and then i go to grab them and there friend start yelling “**** you he is only 17 “so i say “**** you i dont give a ****” and this happens kinda regularly to me at more places than just salt creek
    my dad has dropped in on me and ran me over my whole life and if he didnt run me over on the wave he would run me over while i was paddling out and i thank him for that cause he taught me how to surf with any crowd
    then guys like q -tip would be yelling beat it grom from the water while i would be walking down the sand dunes then drop in on me and ding my brand new board and you what i did about it, i didnt do **** cause thats the way it goes i was a kid and i learned respect and the kids now have none so **** them **** thier parents and **** the police for wasting our hard earned tax dollars the mom and kid should have been arressted for making a false call and have to pay restitution for for it and ian has done nothing but hold surfing back for the last 30 years atleast hahaha have you ever seen him try to surf in those 30years what a joke biggest kook in the water my grandpa is 85 and still surfs better than ian and ian is younger than my dad!!!
    So im sorry but about the language but but its the only way people will understand how serious this problem is, even at trestles there is parents pushing their 5year old kids into waves in front of people when i was young kids were not allowed to surf trestles just like they should not play kickball on the freeway
    so i sit on the inside and drop in on them sometimes as well because thier parents are teaching them wrong from the start so i feel inclined to counter act that behavior right when it is being learned!!!! Good job divel and i just might need some of that insurance you were talking about cause im not putting up with it and just so happens ians kids favorite skateboarder is my son hahahahahahahaha thats what i call karma

13. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I was hazed, I was called a kook, I was yelled off of waves. It meant everything when the same guys that were yelling me off waves started yelling me into them. I have hazed groms, one kid would sit out there and turn and paddle for every wave that came and would occasionally pull back and say that's yours man, when it was clearly mine. I paddled back out and told him not to tell me what waves were mine or not. I'll take anything I want. He looked like he was gonna poop himself. I've hazed my own son and shouted him off of waves like crazy. I told him if I ever see him pull up with his board on the roof nose first I would disown him, lol.

14. StuckontheGulf

StuckontheGulf Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    +10 zip. I dont think anything irks me more than a backwards board on the roof. It instantly tells me you are a kook!

15. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Lol. Was scared of him for years. I once kooked a set wave in front of him (stepped on my leash) and he paddles right up to me and informs me I am done for the day. Freaking rusty. Those were the days.

16. StuckontheGulf

StuckontheGulf Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    I had my share of hazing on the gulf too back in the 70°s. We were a surf starved gang that skated when it was flat, which was aleays. I dropped in on an elder and he won't let me forget it tilll this day. He says it was the best wave sunset beach ever produced. It was a barreling left off the rocks. I had to lol.

17. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I never experienced anything too bad, which was probably because I wasn't real young when I started regularly surfing. I was in my early 20's by the time I started to regularly do it. I imagine if I was 10 or 12 or maybe even a teenager when I started doing it frequently, maybe things would have been different. I did first surf when I was 16 or so? Just not too frequently, due to location, not old enough to drive yet, and just hadn't really gotten into it.

18. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    similar thing happens to me. I pulled the same thing on a North Wildwood Lifeguard years later. SOB dropped in on me and took me out. When I came up his paddle board was beside me so i grabbed it and paddled in. The whole time hes like 'hey bro that's my board' . I haul it up on the beach right in front of the supervisor's stand and turn to him and say 'Im not your ****ing bro and you are done for the day'.

19. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    [video=youtube;qdFLPn30dvQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdFLPn30dvQ[/video]

20. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I was never hazed as a kid... but those were different times. Besides... I stayed away from the big dogs. They were all crusty fishermen with tattoos (when tattoos meant your were a bad azz) or crazy "turned on, dropped out" hippies on who knows what kind of drugs. I was a skinny 12-year-old they called "spider legs."

And I never hazed anybody, either. There was a time, though, when me and my buds had our local breaks so wired none of the groms could get a wave. We wouldn't think twice about paddling right back out past the groms and not even considering giving them a set wave.

I'm not like that today, though. Yesterday I was right in the middle of a pack of groms and was stoked giving them the nod. The swimmers on the inside though... they should go down the beach for their own safety.