Used Surfboards in CR

Discussion in 'Central America' started by UnfurleD, Aug 29, 2017.

1. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    instead of renting a board at a surfshop, what's the best place to find a used surfboard (might be a surfshop down there i guess). for instance, we have Craigslist here which provides lotta results on the coast but when looking it up in CR i didn't see much. Rentals usually go for $15/day, and i'll be there for a week so perhaps i can find a board under $125. The idea is to pay a bit extra so i can pass it off to one of the locals once i'm getting outta there. as a fyi, going to Puntaneras area around Hermosa then down to Dominical w/ option of Pavones

2. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    If you are near Pavones or any blown up tourist area, expect to pay US prices or more for a halfway decent board.

3. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    CR isn't as cheap as it used to be... havnt been there in years, but when I was there 10 yrs ago - you'd still be hard pressed to find a decent board for 100$... unless it's all dinged up/waterlogged and /or delaminated.

Sorry, don't meant I rain on your parade, but it might be best to bring your own

4. Mr.Belmar

Aug 19, 2010
    Maybe someone could chime in with recent experience

5. pkovo

pkovo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    When I went last year, I debated having a board made, or at least buying a new one there, and then selling it back at the end of the trip. I looked at "Carton" Surfboards out of Jaco since it would have been an easy stop along the way to Dominical.

Ended up ditching the idea and just sucked it up and paid the fees to bring 2 of my own boards. Got lucky and didn't have to pay board fee on way home, so worked out well, but that was just pure luck.

Anyway, you may want to look at Carton out of Jaco.

6. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    ^^^ Last time down me and my buddy brought a couple boards each and paid $100 surcharge each, but our other friend, who went down there way more often, and was dialed in, as he ran his own site, crsurf.com or something - he stopped at a place in Jaco almost out of town, heading south, on the west side of the highway. Rented a board and dropped it off on the way home. $70. For 10 days. I have no idea of the nameof theplace, but they had lots of shortboards in the 6'2" to 6'8" range that are well suited for the surf down there. I'd bring a few extra leashes with me to trade for mota.

7. Kook4Life

Kook4Life Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Went to Guiones in August. Boards were expensive there. Could rent one for around 120 a week. Ended up bringing my own board instead.

8. crindlefish

crindlefish Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2015
    If you're in pavones, most of the stuff at the surf shop is pretty expensive but there were some used boards for pretty short money in decent shape. Mick Fanning's bells beach winning board was going for 250

9. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Was down in April and expect US prices. It's not like the old days, the locals have state of the art equipment now and don't need hand outs. I'd just take your own.

PS--Long running scam with rentals where they rent you a board that is very thinly glassed. If you break it (prob will in hermosa waves) you owe them full price.

10. UnfurleD

Jul 13, 2016
    i'm going down American Airlines ($150 each way), no point bringing my own board. i just figured with CR, knowing it's the most Americanized country down there, they would have a website with used surfboards or if not wonder why they're not using Craigslist. thinking there was a slim chance they had other means, like that offer up or letGo. i'll take a look at one of their local surf shops, of course scour this forum for those, and see where i can rent one. thanks for the advise dudes

11. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Buy a board up here in USA, then bring it with you, one way. When done, give it to a poor kid who watches surfers wishing, "if only I had a board..".
    Return home and feel great that you may have just improved a kids life in incalculable ways.....

12. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    From my observation, Jaco surf shop seemed to be fairly reputable.

13. UnfurleD

Jul 13, 2016
    yea, i'll think about that. got a couple boards that are on its last leg but oddly i don't have a board bag. i'll ask around and see if i can get one for free

14. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Good for you, unfurled!! I did that once in PR, and I have never regretted doing so. And yes, it was not my "prized board" but one at its end cosmetically, but very rideable, a 7'4" Byrne.
    Hope that works for you. It certainly will for some kid!!

15. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I guess it makes up for the all the boarts you stole as a kid lol

16. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I am still up about 6 of them...but don't tell anybody.
    I blame the heroin!!!

17. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    HAHA o barry

18. Mr.Belmar

Aug 19, 2010
    I did that one time with my wetsuite for a kid down in Peru... never looked back or second guessed... I think I also gave him some U.S. tee shirts too

Also- interesting what pumpmaster said about the light glass jobs... never would have thought!