Surfboard design has left me behind

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by Toonces, Nov 21, 2016.

1. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Agreed, wasn't happy to see that but so far it hasn't affected anything.

2. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    The first time I used Futures was on HPLB thruster set up, they came with the boart but were plastic. I got a set of carbon Futures and one day, the longboard fins were humming,it was chest high,clean and lined up, but I couldn't make some of the sections. I went back in, took the carbon fins out of my backpack, plugged them in, and the boart flew like the wind, made every section with ease. Super fast, no drag.

Funny thing was, they were sitting in my backpack for over a month, I was too lazy to swap them out.

3. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

No way. It was the rider, you lazy pos!!! lol

4. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    What, your floaties didn't come off during that last swell, and you're still alive?

5. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    Pretty looking bort there. My buds been riding a second hand coil. The durability is through the roof, comparable to my hydroflex/ varial foam bort. The next time I get a custom it's probably going to be a coil.

6. raddadbrad

raddadbrad Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Sick board bro!! Dims are right on!!! Id love to take that for a spin on Sunday... Wanna sell it hahaha

7. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

DAwnSup--that looks really good!!

8. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks dude! You won't be disappointed. My first Coil (6'4" Flashback Fish) changed my life!

Lol If I wasn't in love with it I would, but I couldn't part ways with her, she's too fun! I appreciate the compliment though.
    Thanks again! You gotta put your order in, have it ready for Winter!

9. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    So I'm sure you noticed the fisheyes in the hotcoat along the left rail, too. Tisk Tisk...

10. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    lol Good eye, yeah I did. It's minor so I didn't give Mike any grief over it. I think they just got so backed up with orders he was rushing to get them out. They are a small operation with big demand.

11. Toonces

Toonces Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2016
    Whelp, a rather anti-climactic end to the story.

Did the drive to the other side of RI and visited the local surf shop. I managed to fondle many of the boards I've been considering- the Quiver Killer, Baby Buggy, and V3 Rocket. I really liked all of them. The thickness on the boards is through the roof, definitely eye-opening compared to what I've been riding.

They didn't appear to have the Mini-driver I was really looking forward to seeing. It may have been in the carbon-wrapped section, and I blew by that pretty quick when I saw the prices.

They didn't have any new Merricks I was interested in.

They also didn't have the Rusty Rooster I was hoping to check out.

BUT, they had two boards in the used rack that immediately caught my eye. Board 1 was a near-new Merrick SP12. Board 2 was a new Rusty GTR.

Both boards were 6'4 and in great shape, and priced to move. I pulled up some info on my phone, laid them side-by-side, etc. I liked both shapes, but in the end, I just had to take a chance on the Merrick. I absolutely love rounded pins, and while I doubt it will work very well in waist-high Second Beach, it is probably going to go insane on the local reef when it picks up this weekend. Being a Merrick, provided I don't lose it into the rocks or snap it, if I decide it's the wrong board I should be able to flip it for close to what I bought it for.

I'm pretty stoked. Even though the reviews say this is supposed to be a good "all around board" I have my doubts with that pulled tail. But the nose is definitely fuller, the outline is wider up to the last 12" or so of the tail than what I'm currently riding, and it's 1.5L more float.

Anyway, I just couldn't bring myself to drop $800+ on a PU/fiberglass board today. I went with a good used board. We'll see how she goes.

[​IMG]

12. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
  13. Toonces

Apr 25, 2016
    What are you talking about? I love you bro!

14. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Not the route I would have gone but to it's their own. You do realize you can get a brand new custom like the one I posted for $600 - $675 right? I'm not saying you have to get a Coil, but you don't have to spend $800+ for an off the rack boart. That said, I hope the boart works for you and it lasts you a while. What did you pay for that thing?

15. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
  16. Toonces

Apr 25, 2016
    $350 including fins.

17. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Not bad if it performs and lasts you a couple years.

18. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    If its in as good a shape as it looks and you know you to care for and repair a poly board (EASY!) you will get years of use out of it and it will be easy to sell for like $200 in 2-3 years. Buying a used board in good shape is always great option IMO.

19. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Hey man... I think you made a good choice- it seems like that's more the style / shape that you like. Maybe not the most popular shape out right now... but its tested and true. To each his own... I personally don't like the newer movement toward boards under 6ft, just not my style. Call me old school or whatever...

So in all- don't worry what other guys say. Everyone gave good advise here but in the end you got what you like... and you got what works for you!!

Stoked! I like the shape!

Plus- that's a great price. If you surf it a few times and don't like it- you could probably sell it on CL for 340 to 400... so not much to lose!

20. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

The Byrne is the best board in your quiver, unless it is a Surftech copy.
    I have had Mike Baron make me 5 boards over the years, all have been great, but--you do need surf better than Second Street, mo bigga!!