Milk

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by bubs, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    I used to drink milk all the time up until college. Chocolate milk was my weakness. Best post workout fuel. Then sometime after college I stopped drinking it regularly and developed a gastrointestinal issue when did I drink it. I can have it still, but just not in large quantities.

I'll opt for almond milk usually, and I've heard coconut isn't bad for you either.

Soy is disgusting. Anything heavily soy based, with the exception of soy sauce, absolutely destroys my stomach.

2. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Milk from animals is friggen gross.

3. surfrat6

surfrat6 Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    humans are the only animals to drink another species milk regularly.. kinda makes you wonder...

4. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    "I have nipples, Greg. Can you milk me?"

5. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    lol

6. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    [video]https://youtu.be/bA7UOoJCnMs[/video]

7. hinmo24t

hinmo24t Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2012
    ppl need to stop drinking all the Kool-Aid these days and start drinking milk - haha

i have a full pb&j every morning and a greek yogurt as well as a gallon of milk every other day.
    I do lift, cycle and surf a lot and the protein is great in milk. i owe a lot to what milk has done for my health.
    i put 40 lbs of muscle on with whole milk and weight gainer about 8 years ago or so...still drink a lot of it.

8. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Do you sell milk and milk accessories too?

9. hinmo24t

Jan 16, 2012
    headhigh - no im just a strong proponent of it. there's little more efficient than post workout milk for building muscle. I believe a lot of common arguments are just trendy. in business school I remember starting a discussion on the organic food trend. the biggest study ever done in 2012 by Stanford medical on organic vs off the shelf veggies concluded that its not more nutritious than off the shelf. it taste better and I eat a lot of organic veggies from local sources but spending twice the amount on it at grocery stores or whatever might be a waste of ppl and families money. **the study showed that off the shelf had a higher amount of pesiticied but all within FDA standards.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-n...-benefits-from-organic-foods-study-finds.html

10. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    I like your style hinmo. Interesting article worthy of it's own thread, from a scholarly source none-the-less (take notes si members). My folks made me drink milk with every meal growing up. I think that's what turned me off. I still consume dairy products, but i'd rather have a glass of water with dinner.

11. hinmo24t

Jan 16, 2012
    thanks headhigh! im not saying im right but I take a lot of what is thrown around out there with a grain of salt these days.

12. RyanD

RyanD Active Member

May 23, 2014
    FDA standards, that's a funny one. Look up rBST and all the other countries that ban it.

13. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I like milk but I hardly drink it

14. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    wow this is the greatest treade on here iv seen in a while.

DR BARRY,I have a question regarding the whole heartburn milk conspiracy.part of the reason I drink a glass of choco milk every night is because I always have heartburn.i know theres plenty of things in my diet that lead to the heartburn like coffee,speghetti sauce,etc.

I drink milk solely because I like it and it helps with heartburn,but the downside is I have bad congestion and milk makes u develop more pleghm so I lose either way.any of ur home remedies or things youd like to share will be mucho appreciated

15. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Choco-milk has 2 strikes for heartburn. The fats in the milk and the caffeine in the choco part.
    But look, the remedy is to be found in your diet--there really are no shortcuts, cep. If you can, cut back on anything that is acidic, choco anything, coffee (I love the stuff), sodas, alcohol. I know it is not easy, but achievable if you eliminate a little bit at a time. And you don't have to ELIMINATE it just reduce total amount consumed. Also, if you get heartburn when you lay down, you might have reflux problems--get hold of some nexium or prilosec etc. They do work.
    Your congestion is more of a concern, imho. Have you been told you have allergies to anything specific?? Are you an asthmatic?? If so, make sure you take an inhaled steroid-every day. That is worth seeing an MD for. I know us guys always put off going to a doc because of cost, but sometimes it is unavoidable. If you are a smoker (I used to be early in life) , you know what the drill is there.

As for the meds, if you find them way too expensive, pharma companies do have patient assistant programs you can fill out on line, and hopefully they will supply you with some of the meds to cut your costs, but you need a prescription from a doc for that.

Hope that helps.

16. notnorthend79

notnorthend79 Member

Sep 25, 2017
    I was recently banned for no specified reason. NO strikes. No answer to email apologizing for my awesome post. But yes I like milk...I like how it makes me feel better after a long night of drinking. I like the got milk ads with hot girls with milk staches. I like the calcium for my bones. I like to put chocolate in it and mix it. I like dairy. oh yea and i love the mods. please dont ban me again i will be good.

17. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    i appreciate the advice senior barry,its good when someone actually offers some sound advice.i do believe I got some acid reflux going on in there.i do get heartburn when I lay down.i have those alka seltzer chews that are like the tums,was never a fan of the tums it tastes like chalk and il have a few of them but its only a temporary fix.

as far as the congestion goes,iv always had year long allergies but never had a cough.only recently the cough started to develop.iv been to the dr and they usually just give me a bottle of promethazine and some anti biotics,which will cure it for a month,and then itll come back.i believe its due to my occupation working with metal,i cut steel with torches,i often weld and the fumes are real toxic.i don't have a respirator,some days like today I wore a dust mask cause I can already sense the trouble ahead.

18. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

For that reflex, please get nexium or prilosec. Years of continuous reflux can scar the bottom of the esophagus which in turn can turn nasty for patients. The sooner there better. I think prilosec is now sold in pharmacies with out prescription. It is one of the many "proton-pump" inhibitors that are effective for that. There may be other brands available over the counter as well; they are all effective. Give it a few days to take effect; many people take one dose and surrender then- it takes time.

19. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    For the first 35 years of my life I thought heartburn ("acid reflux?") was normal. I had it every day, and ate Rolaids by the roll. Seriously... kept a roll in my desk in my office, a roll in my car, a roll by bed at home... I just thought everybody got heartburn.

Then I started to have trouble swallowing food. I had to eat tiny bites, especially meat, chew well, and wash it down with gulps of water. When it got worse, I didn't want to eat, and started eating less and less, eventually losing a lot of weight. Then it got to a point where I would choke on my food constantly... having to stick my finger down my throat almost every meal to dislodge food that got stuck.

My wife (a physician) sent me to the doctor and sure enough... I had a stricture created by scar tissue from half a lifetime of acid where it shouldn't be. Surgery was fun... you start by drinking a big glass of liquid metal while they x-ray you to see what's going on, then they stick a balloon down your throat and inflate it to stretch out your tubing back to normal diameter.

Now I take nexium daily.

20. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I guess you then are my evidence as a patient to prove what I suggested to cep. Thanks for posting that, LB. Sometimes people think I am crazy when I make suggestions, but fortunately, cep seems to appreciate it. I am no MD, but after working in pahrma for 35 years, I did pick up a few nuggets, hopefully.