Affordable Winter Travel Destinations

Discussion in 'Surf Travel' started by mattinvb, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Try one close by...an island.. Lon Gaisland, NY

2. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I've already been to El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Hawaii. Haven't been to Puerto Rico or Barbados yet.

3. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Neither PR or Barbados have surf. Stay away. Tell your friends (if you have any).
    They are snorkeling paradises, flat always.
    You are welcome,
    Barry Cuda, Tour Guide extra-ordinaire.

4. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Yeah I wouldn't go unless you got at least 4 days to relax down there before packing back up and leaving. I like my trip in the 6-8 day range personally, but I will settle for 4 days.

5. LongIslandBro

LongIslandBro Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Ow Barry!
    (sorry to steal your catch phrase dude).

6. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Yeah, if the destination was convenient and close, 4 days would be more than fine with me. I'd be better off taking a trip California or Florida if all I had was 4 days. Not that I'd mind, but I go there enough on business trips during the year, and try to sneak surfing in.

7. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    looking like it's gonna be costa rica this year...flights to Nica are obscenely expensive from what I saw & I dont think PR is going to be doable for the next 6 months, & that may be an optimistic outlook. That place got wrecked.

8. mattinvb

Sep 9, 2014
    Scratch that last post...Barbados looks more and more appealing the more research I do. Anyone have recommendations on places they've stayed and liked (or hated)?

9. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I agree with you, regrettably, that PR seems to be more and more remote to surf there this year for me. I have reservations for early December, but it seems that it will be longer than that for a pleasant stay. Oh yes, I could get there, but if only half of the things are fixed, that would not be nice for Mrs. Cuda, so it seems I will reschedule for March.
    I was in Barbados as a kid (15 yrs old; 51 yrs ago), anything I could suggest is long gone. If you do go, hope you score big time at Soup Bowls. One thing about that spot--take preventative measures against sea urchins. I remember the place to be shallow and loads of urchins.

10. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    been looking at February for somewhere to roll to. buddy brought up PR has cheap flights then. i'd actually be more willing to book and spend $$ in PR just to help them out some then keep to my hardheaded ideals and stick with Barbados. of the research i've done on Barbados from the top of my head, SOuthWest point Brandon's Beach is where the bars are, close to Bridgetown main airport, and where the fish mkt is. reefs fo sho, but spots lined up to the south of Barbados. SOuthEast is sharky as well as NorthWest corner. Like NWest PR, East side is jungly, rocky and where Soup Bowl and other bigger spots are. Not too much talked up on the Westside, but if one side of Barbados is not going off - the other is. Rum, Fish n Surf - pretty sure there is no DUI in Barbados, and surf is swell until April

11. CarolinaCutback

CarolinaCutback Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Matt in VB... reach out to Melanie. http://www.surfbarbados.com/services-guided-surf-tours

I would not do a surf tour, but she can hook you up with a place to stay, help you with rental boards, etc. She's cool to deal with. If your budget allows it, your should also check out Rys at the Beach.

http://www.barryssurfschoolbarbados.com/accommodation/rys-on-the-beach

It is the only house on the point at Soup Bowl. You can surf all day, and then sit on the porch, drink beer and watch the waves.

There are some good places to eat in Bathsheba, but it is not a night-life spot. If you want bumpin nightlife, stay near St. Lawrence's gap.

12. mattinvb

Sep 9, 2014
    Thanks! I found the barry's one today at work while doing my "mandatory" training. I'm married with kids and past the point of being concerned about a night life scene. It's going to be me and one of my surf buddies, and we're both the type to drink a few beers at the end of the day and call it a night around 10. East coast is looking like the best bet, but I plan on renting a car to be able to get where it's breaking best. Between soup bowls, duppies & parlours, it looks like there is ample opportunity to get both world class waves plus find some spots that hold a rippable wall when hitting 10 ft or bigger.

I'd love to go to PR and give them my money, but I honestly don't think the infrastructure is going to be repaired to the point of being able to get around and have basic things like power. I'm seeing more and more stuff come out in both the general media and through colleagues at work, and that island got straight up effed up, bad. Combined with their financial problems it's going to be a long hard road back to normal...