Undecided - November CR

Discussion in 'Surf Travel' started by UnfurleD, Sep 27, 2017.

1. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    hey fellas, surf trip booked to CR in a little over a month with several buds. Strictly a surf trip mind u. November is supposedly the month where CR is firing on both sides, at least in the swell window. Landing in San Jose airport, i'm kinda throwing the idea out there to the guys that maybe we should wait 10 days out to see where the swell will be before booking up a place. there's 4 of us and we'll not be staying in a hostel, prolly airbnb or homeaway kinda sites. have any of you guys run into this situation down there in CR? Previously we were set on Hermosa & Dominical with the off chance of Pavones (there for a week). and if ya can't offer SI advise on that, then perhaps you can tell me what's the best rental car company out there from that airport. Seen some suggestions all on this forum for the Pacific side, but also had a buddy live in CR for several yrs on the Caribbean side that i can reach out to

2. JaimeL

JaimeL Active Member

Feb 28, 2012

3. TDTubes

TDTubes Well-Known Member

May 30, 2007
    I scored Salsa pretty good around Thanksgiving.

For a pure surf trip check out Mal Pais, can't go wrong there. Best spot in whole country in my opinion, and I've seen them all.

4. me tard

me tard Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Couple of months ago we got a Toyota Fortuner (just like a forerunner but diesel) for $600 which included insurance . It was worth it. You will have to buy insurance, which was like $220 of that 6 hundo.

As far as places to go I would go to dominacal and take trips from there.

5. me tard

me tard Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Car was through Enterprise and for one week.

There are tolls from SJO to the coast now.

6. Wavestrom

Wavestrom Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    I only went to CR once but we drove down to Dominical from SJ and that was also a cool drive.

7. Kook4Life

Kook4Life Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Went with Vamos on the car rental. They were good, in my opinion.

8. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    1st trip to CR, looking for stuff to do with the wife when the surf is down. Looking at hiking tours to volcanos and waterfalls, 4X4 tours to other beaches, etc. You know...romantic stuff.

Obviously seeing lots of stuff online, but wondering if it's less expensive to:

a) make reservations online before arriving,
    b) have the concierge at the hotel make arrangements and tip him/her accordingly, or
    c) drive into Tamarindo from Avellanes and freeball it on the fly with one of the many locals who provide such services.

All opinions welcome

9. willburne

willburne Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2017
    My Pops retired and bought a place about 7 miles away from Pavones, im going to see him again this winter and will be down there from December 16 to January 12. If anyone is in CR at this time I’m always down to link up for a session.

soulrider likes this.
  10. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I've become very intrigued by the possibility of buying something really cheap in a place like Costa, as long as it's not in some ghetto area. I know I bring this up every few months, mostly about Hawaii, but it's getting to be time to put this into motion. I probably wouldn't be buying it personally, but my best friend would be, and we'd all go hang out there for a few months a year, as we both only work from September-April/May, outside of a couple weeks in the Summer and we have a whole lot of downtime. By cheap, I mean $400k USD or something. It's a cheaper alternative to Oahu, and he could always use the place as a vacation rental during the Winter, when we're unable to use it, due to work commitments. It would pay for itself, if he could do that.

Just an idea and kicking around some tires. Oahu is the ultimate goal. We've been talking about it a lot, lately. Costa has bupkis for swell in the months that we're off, so it's probably not as desirable or realistic, even though it's cheaper.

11. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

If Oahu is your ultimate goal, caution on buying in CR. Buying property should be easy. However, selling it--way harder, and you may have to sell way lower than what you paid for it, and that is money you could use towards Oahu.
    just opinion. Good luck no matter how you decide to go.

12. imperial

imperial Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Go talk to my boys Joseya and Roche at Las Olas Cabinas in Avellanes...They can hook you up with everything you need. Roche is the owner of Las Olas and is an awesome guy with a fantastic staff.

Pura Vida amigo!!!

13. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    just got back from CR. i wouldn't buy property down there (or at least wasn't convinced yet). A lotta petty crime,so they'll rob yer house. Went from Hermosa (central Pacific) down to Pavones n back. The owner most content was part of a buncha bungalows in Hermosa (behind almond tree surf spot that had security guard 24/7. It was the most legit, and house(s) was/were for sale (think ~$250k). The PAvones house with a large gate n off the main road was robbed of all its furniture and showerhead about a month ago. Place is pretty bare now. Tho i did hear from ppl a lot of buying up property going on, especially europeeings while canadians who go there frequently are holding on till the exchange rate gets better

14. mrz1

mrz1 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2014
    make sure you factor in the maintenance you will have to do if you own a house in CR. the jungle always wants its cleared land back and the moisture eats away thing. If your not around to do it yourself hiring someone who will actually show up and do the work to your satisfaction might prove more trouble than its worth. you might be better off renting for a few months to see if its really worth it

15. TDTubes

TDTubes Well-Known Member

May 30, 2007
    Pavones is like the wild west. Most places won't get stripped like that

16. oipaul

oipaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2006
    400k will get you an outhouse on oahu.

17. willburne

willburne Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2017
    As someone else mentioned something about saving more money for your HI home, id follow that advice. My old man lives on some beach front in zancudo, and probably wont be coming back for a long time. definitely in the jungle as well, seems to me like you've done a bit more due diligence toward your Oahu project, and if the swell window lines up with your vacation time that would be a no brainer . best of luck

18. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Gracias muchisimo senor Imperial, es muy amable.

Pura Vida, y que te vaya bien mi amigo.

19. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Have you considered just cutting you loses and buying a nice peice of property in the most exotic area around (with the best waves): Belmar, NJ

20. marksharky

marksharky Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2012
    nice :) !