Hawaii travel advise

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by NJsurfer30, Oct 5, 2017.

1. NJsurfer30

NJsurfer30 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2016
    So my buddy earned/won (not exactly sure) a trip for two to Honolulu through work and his wife can't go, which means free trip for me. Going from October 14-18, staying at the Waikiki Hilton, probably won't have a car but could theoretically rent one if it made sense, no real agenda except to surf as much as possible. Any recommendations or advise regarding where to surf, what to eat, where to rent a board, etc? What are the waves generally like on the south shore this time of year? What about other parts of the island worth monitoring and potentially driving to? I gather it's still a little early for the north shore to get a real swell, but not sure if that means completely flat or just not huge? I probably wouldn't have any business being there for a propere swell anyway, but would definitely love to find a manageable spot there if there's anything on the smaller side.

2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

So far you have had 30 viewers view your request--no answers or advice.
    Dead forum--it's over.

3. NJsurfer30

Dec 28, 2016
    I was thinking the same thing. Good thing this isn't a time sensitive medical advise thread, I'd be f***ed.

4. Cwhite

Cwhite Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
  5. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    At one point there were zero posts for over 3hrs, maybe 4hrs today. None, zero, zilch, on the entire forum, world wide.

6. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Yeah that was bizarre, but, given that half of the scantily clad posted today were deleted today by a moderator, what is to be expected??
    No fun anymore. I think I will be taking some time off soon. Winds of change are directing me elsewhere; that is not a bad thing.

7. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Change is good, embrace it, keeps things fresh.

8. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    That's cool, free trip! I don't blame you for asking... but others will lol what ever

So if it's the Hilton I'm thinking of- it's probably the best place to stay on the south shore! If it's the one called the Hilton Hawaiian village. It's right by a harbor and litterly right in front of some of my fav south shore spots! There's like 3 or more perfect spots right out front - just look up ala moana- that's one of the spots. Kiasers and a few others. Nice and easy reef breaks to surf... just a far paddle out...

Plus there is a cool island on the other side of the harbor to see some cool sunsets- and a right point off the side if it's big enough..

Totally rent a car, they are cheap out there. Sometimes the hotel will charge you for parking. I used to rent from a place daily that's a few blocks from there. That area is really touristy- you'll get bored of shopping in a day... it's not the real hawaii. Take a flat day and drive the whole island. The north shore is a good hour ride too

This time of year, you'll get south and north swells. So either shore could be breaking. But look up some surf maps online, there are tons. There's really no secret spot. The left point at turtle bay is fun if it's breaking and it's kinda touristy so not too many locals. If the north shore is too big- like 12ft plus- makaha might be breaking good. If it's flat everywhere- there is usually always a waist to chest high wave at diamond head. Just parallel park up top of the cliff and find the paved path that goes down the side .... paddle out the Channel and go to the left. Winds get in it quick there so go early. Watch the reef...

Anyways- that's about all I remember. Stop to eat at places that have plate lunches- best food around. Lots of surf shops on the north shore. I don't know about rentals... just bring your own.. go snorkeling the one day at that bay /state park/ that's up around past diamond head. Swim out far where it's 20ft deep and you'll seea all kinda of stuff.

Stoked for you!! Seriously one of the better places/ areas to stay on the south shore.

9. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Doesn't hold a candle to Da Mar.

10. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Yes, very true....

You should call your travel agent and have them reschedule your flight to Wall International Airport. I heard there are some rooms available at the el-djais hotel...

11. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    This looks pretty good! That map is a good one, never saw it before!

I've been to Oahu quite a few times, but haven't been in almost 4 years.:(

There's a few decent breaks in walking distance from Waikiki. The North Shore is where it's at, but you'll need to rent a car for the day for that. I sometimes rented cars for a day or two, from a Budget (I think) which is right in Waikiki. We would stay for a week or two, but that was too long to rent a car. And I only needed transportation for the couple of days I drove out to the North Shore.

I never rented boards out there, always brought my own. I mostly stayed in Diamond Head, which was pretty suite. We did some of the touristy stuff, like Pearl Harbor and the ships and monuments. The Honolulu Zoo and the Waikiki aquarium, which was in walking distance from where we used to stay. We'd also hike up Diamond Head, which is a real good workout. And there's nightlife, if that's what you're into, I'm not.

There's a lot of good restaurants. Sansei seafood and sushi was one of my favorite's. Alan Wong's is a good restaurant too, but kind of pricey. It's a Polynesian/Chinese type restaurant. Obama apparently frequents it on family vacations back home to Oahu. It's probably about a 20-30 minute walk from Waikiki.

Any more questions, feel free to ask. I was going there at least once a year between 2010 and 2014. And a couple times before that. So maybe some things have closed, since I've last been there. I would totally jump on it, even if you've only got 4 days!

12. notnorthend79

notnorthend79 Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Go to the surf shops and check out the used racks. I grabbed a sick used one on the North Shore for 150 bucks surfed it for a week and a half and then sold it back to the same shop. I think i lost fifty bucks. Payed way less than renting and the board was something I was used to. If youve never been its the coolest pace ever. Get away from the south shore for a day or too if possible. Its two different worlds on that island...

13. StuckontheGulf

StuckontheGulf Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    I seem to remember a good jiggly room on the south shore.

14. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    absolutely get a car. Waikiki/Honolulu is fun for a day but it's not really Hawaii.
    Go north shore if theres any sign of swell, even just to check it out if it's flat.
    And there can be good waves on the north shore in October.
    In fact, you don't want a "real swell" on the north shore. It not's for first timers.

15. kaiserlocal

kaiserlocal New Member

Oct 5, 2017
    Here’s my two cents. Four days isn’t a lot of time over there so just soak in the island of Oahu if it’s your first and only time ever in Hawaii. Be advised the Hilton Hawaiian Village is nice but it ain’t cheap to stay there. While it does front the famous Kaiser’s and Ala Moana surf spots it’s unlikely that you’ll get a worthwhile south swell this time of the year. And if you even were to catch a town swell in october (rare..) your chances of getting waves at Bowls or Kaiser’s are slim to none due to the heavy local factor...I know I paid my dues and put my time in at Kaiser’s back in the Buttons days. Was just there this summer for 3 weeks and had no problems as the same boys are still out there.
    But I digress... as others in the forum have alluded to..you might luck out and catch a early north shore swell..maybe even a big one..in which case beware if you’re not seasoned to Hawaiian juice..you will get cleaned up at any of the spots on the north shore. If it’s too big it may be worth going to west side where it’s picking it up but smaller and maybe checking out Makaha or Yokohama or 3rd Dip. Again no make “A” and tread lightly on the west side as the Nanakuli boys aren’t always receptive to da haoles in the water.
    Fret not ..cause u can always go to Sandy’s or Makapuu and bodysurf to your hearts content with plenty of good vibes at both of these places. Keep in mind these spots will both launch you and crunch your spine on a big day.

Aloha and Enjoy

16. jaklsurfs

jaklsurfs Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2015
  17. jaklsurfs

jaklsurfs Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Ala mo is the most beautiful spot in waikiki and the wave is so long ,but the north shore will be waking up by the time you get there,get your plan together now,all the surf shops rent boards to tourists ,i think Rusty use to be down at Hilton giving surf lessons ,lot of the hotels have them available.rent a car at airport go for it yu only have 4 days gotta hustle

18. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Surfbruddhas will bring you and pick up board. Have stayed at the hilton many times. Good surf right out front and within walking distance.

19. NJsurfer30

Dec 28, 2016
    Lol. At that point I'd probably just stay at my house, since it's a 20ish minute bike ride to Belmar.

20. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    If you do go as far as Hanama bay it's worth driving an extra 15, 20 minutes to sandy beach. It can get good, but does get some nasty shore pound. definitely need a car to get there, but just that drive along the coast is worth it. If it's flat, check out the toilet bowl at Hanama, it's pretty crazy