CR Central first time advise

Discussion in 'Central America' started by UnfurleD, Nov 2, 2017.

1. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    whadup bouyz, only a week away so i'm asking for the SI advise of a single guy like myself to seek out in the central pacific stretch of CR. away for a week, we're (3 guys n a gal) hopping down n up with main stops being Hermosa/Jaco, Dominical and Pavones. i've done a good amount of research about the breaks along the coast from this site n other sites of the world wide web but i'll take some inside scoops. didn't look too much into what bars or side action i should look into (atvs?), but if you've been around CR in the last five years then i'm all ears n i's. cheers in advance

2. UnfurleD

Jul 13, 2016
    and i looked at the upcoming swell for that week, should be 3-5 ft all down the coast for the whole week. will be looking at a ~6'8 board to be the everyday rider when i'm there

3. LongIslandBro

LongIslandBro Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Jaco is a great town- if you like cocaine and hookers.

4. LongIslandBro

LongIslandBro Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Go to Dominical instead.

5. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Go to Dominical - cool bars, hippie chicks, gringo friendly, good surf. Pavones won't break this time of year.
    Hermosa closes out alot. The Point just south of Dominical proper is an awesome set up. May need more size than 3-5.

On the way down or back check out Esterillos Oueso. It's a mellow wave, but long and fun, and some great chow nearby, just off the main road.

Enjoy the Pura Vida.

6. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    x2 on esterillos. Hermosa isnt a bad place to base. Jaco for shopping etc and you can range down the coast from there, but dont stay in Jaco for sure. Hermosa is heavy in town but better breaks down the dirt road just past the Backyard bar.

7. UnfurleD

Jul 13, 2016
    some more maybe discreet places i had in mind. Boca Barranca, right above Jaco, supposedly a good left tho it could be busy. buddy loves his lefts and the swell could be biggest right when we land, which would be Saturday. Esterillos i think would be good too, but also had eyes on Matapalo which is before Dominical. the guys i'm going with prolly don't care much about the nitelife, but i do. we'll be in Jaco only for some drinks at nite, def not surfing there but i'm still looking forward to that part

8. TDTubes

TDTubes Well-Known Member

May 30, 2007
    The direction needs to be S or SSW to hit Boca or Pavones, next week looks like more W SW and won't get in the Golfos too much.

Agree with the rest, check out Dominical, Pavones is good when there is swell, otherwise long ride.

Instead of Pavones check out Mal Pais, take a nice ferry ride and see some nicer beaches than in Hermosa area or central coast. http://malpaisurfcam.com/

Or even better (due to proximity) is Manuel Antonio, interesting set up and lots of life and things to do when out of the water, unlike Pavones.

Dominical supposedly has a nice sand bar now. Haven't been that far south in years but definitely more rainy and more mosquitos than further north even Hermosa. Can be super dirty with logs and runoff from river with rain. Last time I was there it was like surfing in a river of sticks, couldn't walk on the beach. Didn't go back. Home base is close to Puntarenas for me so Mal Pais/Nicoya more worth the drive.

You will have fun everywhere you go, just know its about 5 hour drive from Domincal to Pavones, so about 9 back to Hermosa...(last time I did it 10+ years ago - roads better in many spots now)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  9. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    I've heard from friends that Mal Pais is a great spot, good vibes, and lots of big waves. I was in Dominical during rainy season, to say the water was dirty and gnarly is an understatement, but that was in late June. Dry season is better, I'm sure, if there is one in that part of jungle.

10. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

CR advice when surfing: When you see a log floating by, reach out and grab it!!!!

11. TDTubes

TDTubes Well-Known Member

May 30, 2007
    Yeah, I lived in Costa for a year and travelled the whole country, Mal Pais is my favorite spot. Manuel Antonio and Nosara are pretty cool too. These have more consistent waves (not MA so much but nice wedges), clean atmosphere and don't have scorching black sand.

Dominical was nice in January, always a chest high bump and no rain.

12. UnfurleD

Jul 13, 2016
    might consider MalPais if we don't venture to Pavones. buddy organizing had a friend's house to stay, but decided against going to Golfito airport if Pavones wasn't going off

13. UnfurleD

Jul 13, 2016
    renting boards: did anybody try surf shops in Dominical or Pavones? told the fellas that an option is going w Vamos rental car that offers boards option (on car, ready to go from SanJose SurfShop), but also mentioned there's several shops in Jaco to grab some for the week

14. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    CR is easy - dont sweat the details. There are waves everywhere. No need to travel all over the country. Driving is the most dangerous thing you can do (except for the hookers and cocaine in Jaco!). Board rentals everywhere. Suggest Carton in Jaco - they have every shape you can think of. Have fun. Hint: dont leave anything in your vehicle. Keep 200 colones in your trunks as the "i will watch your car" shakedown is popular at certain spots.

15. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    if the swell is 3-5 foot on the coast, Boca will likely be a long mushy waist high beginner wave. I've never been down to Pavones, but surely that place isnt going to be doing much on 3-5 feet of ocean swell?

oh yeah...+1 on avoid Jaco. Esterillos is a fun area, rippable easy waves, super tide dependent though. High tide can be shoulder-head high and by mid tide to low its not even really ridable its so small and gutless.

16. Micky

Micky Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Yes, there are several surf shops in Jaco to get rental boards. If you are not sure where the trip will take you www.sanjosesurfboards.com , in San Jose, is a great option.

Boca Barranca can get really dirty in the rainy season. But it is undoubtful a nice left. On the weekend there will be more people at Boca Barranca, it's not too far away from San Jose. If you are heading south you should check out Esterillos, it's on your way. If you want to be the only ones in the lineup you should see if Roca Loca is going off, www.costaricawaves.com/roca-loca/, but it's a right. Great wave, and people seem to be too lazy to climb down the cliff. It's between Jaco and Hermosa.

17. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    My buddy Henry (not a shredder) caught Roca Loca DOH on his LB (the Barge) and said it was the best wave he rode since he was a kid. He said it was easy. Easy drop, easy down the line, super fun. He was stoked, just recalling it. Barry would go.

18. imperial

imperial Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2008
    My wife and I have had a place in Jaco for over 15 years so its our second home. Go to Chuck's W.O.W. surf shop in Jaco. He has been there for over 25 years and is a Florida transplant. Henry is giving you a bunch of BS on Roca Loca...its a 60 ft. climb down a sketchy cliff and you can only paddle out through an 8 ft channel full of sea urchins...Only the experienced local is "LOCO" enough to surf the "ROCK". Pavones is magical and Dominical is a super chill town with an excellent wave. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME GOING TO NORSARA...OVERPRICED MALIBU TRANSPLANTS WITH NOTHING BUT GRINGOS IN THE WATER. Santa Teresa or Avellanes is a way better option than Norsara. Need any other advice on airport transfers, tours, places to eat, visit, surf....PM me amigo......

19. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Aren't you a "Malibu Transplant gringo" as well??
    And you are not my amigo......I will decide who is.

20. imperial

imperial Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Not even close to a Malibu Transplant Gringo!!! I'm a trump lovin, white power king, inbred, jacked up ford F150 drivin, Dixie confederate flag waving, southern redneck who is one bad hombre! No hablo espanol AMIGO!!!