Socal/San Diego Surf Trip Ideas?

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by WillyWallace91, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Not zaGaffer

Not zaGaffer Active Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Fake news

2. Not zaGaffer

Nov 14, 2017
    State and local. If you lived in Oside you could take the light commuter rail to SD. Wifey would have to find Zen sitting on the 5/405.

3. NJsurfer30

NJsurfer30 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Perfect! That sounds like a personal problem. For her.

4. NJsurfer30

Dec 28, 2016
    I'm intrigued by Oceanside now. I presume the overall cost of living is higher, but man, property taxes are cheap compared to here! And houses don't look THAT much more expensive... at least not all of them...

5. NJsurfer30

Dec 28, 2016
    I have been to OBX many times and like it but couldn't see myself ever living there. Too remote, too far from snow sports. And no jobs. That's the thing about SD... it's the only place I can think of with dramatically better waves than here that would ALSO be a better place for me career-wise. Honestly though, if I move from NJ and waves is a primary motivator, I'm not gonna stay on the east coast. I know you can make the argument OBX is a better surfing situation (or vice versa), but it's not THAT big of an upgrade in terms of frequency or quality. Then again, the grass is always greener. Maybe Socal isn't an upgrade for surfing either, all things considered. I mean, I did come to the conclusion after moving to CO that I'd rather ski freezing ice with all my friends in VT than deep powder alone in CO. Food for thought, food for thought...

I don't mean to hate on jersey. I love it here. Every time I've moved away somewhere, it's not been as great as I thought. And every time I come back here, I like it better than I remembered. I get restless though...

6. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Yeah I'm not sure that when all the numbers are added up that SoCal is that much more expensive than coastal NJ.

Temecula, Fallbrook and other northeast county towns are considerably closer to Irvine, if you don't mind living 30-45 minutes inland from the coast. Housing is a bit cheaper too.

California pays better than most of the country too. Cost of living pretty much evens out no matter where you reside (with a few exceptions of course).

7. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    California sucks, I know Jersey does, too. I wouldn’t mind living in San Diego area, though.

It may be an option one day. There’s really no work down there for me, I’d have to work out of LA, which is way too far to commute, and a nightmare for traffic. I’ve said before that Sandy Eggo is probably the big city that I’d most like to live in, at least in the lower 48. Honolulu would be my number one, and I really have no interest moving out of Jersey, unless it was to Hawaii.

My buddy’s wife’s grandparents live in Fallbrook, which isn’t very far from Oceanside pier, but could take 60-90 minutes with all the ridiculous traffic there. He spent a whole week there in June/July and only got to surf one day. I have an ex girlfriend, whose mother lived in Fallbrook. Fallbrook is like the middle of nowhere. Temecula is a little better, but even further from the ocean. Even for what they are, they’re still overpriced.

8. NICAfiend

NICAfiend Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    I don't live in the Outer Banks just take random trips up there when the waves are good. I live on Topsail Island which is very close to Wilmington so I've got very decent nighttime options. Living away from snow is hard but Snowshoe and Sugar Mountain (with the recent expansion it's not that bad now) are relatively close by so I can still get on some "decent" slopes when it's good. We snowboard up in the New England area a lot and I think it gets a bad rap. We've gotten some great powder days the past few years and it's super chill if you go during the week but having said that I would take Colorado powder alone all day, every day over an icy mountain with friends. I would also think good snow would be as far or further from Socal to their mountains as it is for me here to our mountains? I've been to Lake Tahoe and Truckee a few times but never took that drive west so I don't know that to be true, just seems like a long ways. Everybody has there own preferences but I'll take cheaper, real and quiet over crazy expensive, fake and crowds any day.

9. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Nica, that looked like a fun day!

10. Not zaGaffer

Nov 14, 2017
    False

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  11. Not zaGaffer

Nov 14, 2017
    I like Fallbrook; but with only one road in and out it's a pain to get to or away from. It's a lot hotter than Oside too. Same with Temec.

12. Son Bather Bob

Son Bather Bob Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2014
    If you bring a dime-piece to sacrifice like kanman did, I will block for you a big rock, windansea & horseshoes. haha

Hit me up when you get out here. Yes, I am scobey

13. Not zaGaffer

Nov 14, 2017
    Hi Scobey. You get any that last run of swell? It was pretty damn good up here

14. Son Bather Bob

Son Bather Bob Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2014
    Sadly, no. Was in NJ for brothers wedding.
    I'll hit you up if I make it north over thanksgiving swell

15. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    C'mon Gaff, I stated that Temec and Fallbrook are 30-45 minutes from the coast, not to Irvine.

16. Not zaGaffer

Nov 14, 2017
    Cough cough

I am a pedantic, autistic, mofo (look admin, not avoiding the censor); I admit.

Aren't you saying that Temec and Fallbrook are closer to Irvine than Oside?

Temecula is in Riverside County too, might as well be Arizona.

FALSE I say! FALSE!

No skin off my back either way

; )

17. Not zaGaffer

Nov 14, 2017
    I'm down. Forecast looks grim though. Maybe head down your way with a LB and hit up someplace with W/NW exposure. Still waves up here though. Small.

I'm going up to Honeyton Saturday to shot the pier and attend my cousin's wedding. Working Tues & Wed next week; but other than that I have until the 28th off. Hit me up

18. Cwhite

Cwhite Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    I love the all the Politically Correct gender bathroom signs with the woman, man, half man/half woman and explanation as to not hurt anyone's feelings.

[​IMG]

19. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    New Jersey's new Governor actually told Jerry Brown "I want New Jersey to be the California of the East Coast".
    What a ****ing moron.

20. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    Scobey be flaking on sarfing with the buoy in NJ tho... slackin cuz. Chose the great adventure over 1-2 ft and 30 degree weather. Shame on you.

P.s. if anyone is looking to sponser or hosts me on trips, I will bring the goods.