Fishing threade

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Zeroevol, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Probably, I would fish moving water around the bridges and docks. I have caught them near the marsh grass this time of year but for some reason it seems like they are schooled up near hard structure with moving water more than the shallow marshes. Fish 3-4 inch storm lures against the current with a very slow retrieve speed as in just fast enough to take up slack. Last night I caught 13 in an hour with the biggest 27.25 inches using just that method.

2. notnorthend79

notnorthend79 Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Thanks for the good info dude! Stoked your having some luck. If your ever around the butthole of the east coast (VB) and need a fishing/surfing buddy lemme know! Im going on my honeymoon up in chink o teag and have a place on the water with a dock.... hoping to get lucky while the wife is doing her makeup or something, and Im gonna fish too..

3. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Good luck, with the wifey and the fishy!!

4. Rob Gnarley

Rob Gnarley Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    How's the Mid Atlantic Fishing Been lately? Zippy I know you have been out fishing man haha. I hope to get some surf fishing in before the water temps drop off this winter.

5. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    It's been good, but not great. I haven't fished the surf at all and have been under the bridges mostly. I got into a good school a little over a week ago with bigger fish but still no keepers. Caught 6 up to 27.25 inches in 40 minutes. I could feel a keeper in that school but was forced in by the sun going down (my lights weren't working).

6. desandan

desandan Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Off the surf it has been slow (could be the they are dredging by me) and mostly shorts. Boat action has been good.

7. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Same in my neck of the woods. Slow in the suds, better out over the rocks.

8. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    Went Sat and Sunday, slow, Dogfish sharks and skate.

9. Rob Gnarley

Mar 27, 2012
    Thanks for the update everyone! Good Luck

10. Cwhite

Cwhite Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Went Rock fishing yesterday in Cape Charles, VA & they have been scoring some big ones down there...50" & over 50 lbs. We however had no luck, 2 shorties in 8 hours. We drifted, cast & trolled all over & no good. Other dozen boats around us & back @ the dock reported the same. When we were @ the bait shop early am there was a group of guys that had 2 fish to weigh. 1 @ 48" 46.5 lbs & the other 47" @ 45 lbs that were caught the evening before in the same area we were.

11. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    I've stayed down there for a weekend, very cool little town on off season. Sucks you didn't score, but at least you weren't the only ones!

12. nopantsLance

nopantsLance Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
  13. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I have caught fish in the Pocomoke but there is nothing going on in the full salt.

14. nopantsLance

Aug 15, 2016
  15. Rob Gnarley

Mar 27, 2012
    I got out fishing for the first time this year over the weekend and got to surf Sunday. Caught a decent 18" catfish. It was a good way to start the season.

Attached Files:

16. Rob Gnarley

Mar 27, 2012
    Calling Zippy: Has anyone been out fishing lately? I'm hoping to get into some bluefish on Delmarva this weekend. Based on water temps its still a bit early.

17. nopantsLance

Aug 15, 2016
  18. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Blues are in SC now. Caught a bunch of them last Saturday. Caught a Whiting and cut it up for blue bait.

Also, check out this blue caught way up a tidal creek.
    https://charlestonfishing.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=176394

I’ve never heard about them that far inshore.

Attached Files:

Rob Gnarley likes this.
  19. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Supposedly small blues have been spotted up near the inlet. By small I mean 16 inches or so. Those monsters from last year showed up just about now and ran until early May. Not sure what will happen this year but all we really need is a few calm days to trigger the bite, that is of course if they are even here. I heard from a friend in NJ that they are already getting big stripers. How that happens without them touching base here on their way north is beyond me.

Rob Gnarley and desandan like this.
  20. desandan

desandan Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Back waters in NJ starting to heat up. I have not tried the ocean yet (temps still mid 40s) but did hear of a few guys getting some action. Maybe the hard E winds next week get things going.

Rob Gnarley likes this.