Where do used wetsuits go?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by notaseal, Dec 20, 2017.

1. ukelelesurf

ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2007
    If you live in a place where the water gets under 60 you can do this> Cut the leg off an old suuite and then cut it again above the knee. Turn it inside out and sew one open end with some kind of strong string (I used dental floss I believe) then turn it inside right and you have a neoprene beanie. Oneil sells manufactured ones---I tried my buddies and the thigh hat is way warmer than Oneils especially if you fold it over like a winter hat. It is crazy how much warmer it keeps you and you don't feel like you are in a tunnel like a hood----and your head gets to smell like urine/thigh!

2. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    I, like Barry, prolly have 10-15. When i get a new one the old one goes in the closet. The closet smells like old pissy wetsuit! Wife wont go in there

3. Son Bather Bob

Son Bather Bob Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2014
    I usually take old 3/2s and cut the arms or the legs off.
    You can turn around and sell the pieces you cut off as "Compression socks" or "Compression arm bands" ;)

4. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    [​IMG]

...where they're turned into yoga mats.

5. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

A yoga sluts dream???

6. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I just stand on a towel if I'm changing outside... which I do if I'm surfing anywhere by my local. But I like the re-use ideas...

Son Bather Bob likes this.
  7. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    the sleeves, from the wrist upward actually do make decent cozies,,i made 2 yesterday from an old one, am thinking some other pieces could make a decent sunglass wrap/case maybe phone case also..the back?chest section could maybe be used for a small dog winter kinda coat for walks just fold over and cut a slash for a tab to go thru to secure around the lil puppy

8. surfsolo

surfsolo Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Time for a new wife! :)

9. Cwhite

Cwhite Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
  10. jaklsurfs

jaklsurfs Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2015
  11. pdub

pdub Active Member

May 31, 2013
    I just donated two 3/2's to a non-profit that gives surf lessons to wounded warriors and at risk kids.

12. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    I'm cheap and try to save some bucks- so I try to make my wetsuite last as long as possible, while being warm of course

So I save my old suite as a transition suite - like for instance, I have a new 5 mil and an old 5 mil- I will wear the old one until it gets too cold (right around now...) then start wearing my new one for the rest of the season, until like march- then wear the old one again- so there is not as much wear and tear on the new one-it really only sees 2 months of winter surfing, Jan and Feb- which could translate into only a few sessions... plus I'm warmest in the coldest part of the year- and don't over heat during the inbetween times...

After this- the old ones go in the garbage- the are totally worn out and stinks...

13. Scbe

Scbe Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2011
    I cut off the legs of a 5mil and use em to insulate gal jugs of hot water for post session warm up.

Barry Cuda likes this.
  14. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Wow. Scbe...great idea!!