Cryptocurrencies. What say you?

Discussion in 'Non Surf Related' started by StuckontheGulf, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Cryptocurrencies are called so because that is exactly what they will do--send you to your grave, and broke, to boot.....

2. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I give my money to somebody who know what they're doing with it. I can't trust my own judgment on that stuff these days. But 25 years ago, I "played" a bit, and put the down payment on my house with the gains. Not anymore... I don't have the time to do the research myself. I trust my manager, and give him his cut.

3. surfsolo

surfsolo Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    LOL trust and brokers is a fking oxymoron look at all the idiots trading in crypto and lost everything

4. TubeDoc

TubeDoc Active Member

Nov 9, 2015
    I have always been counseled to put money in low-fee, passively managed funds, and avoid managers with higher fees because they never out-perform enough... do those of you who use money managers feel they are worth the cost? how much do they take?

5. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

No--they are NOT. However, placing money in bond funds is where I need managers--I go with PIMCO (PONDX specifically), as I have ZERO expertise in bonds.

6. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I see no retirement possibilities in the near future, so I'm still relatively aggressive with managed and diverse portfolios. My returns are good, I'm where I want to be right now, and don't have a problem paying someone for the level of performance I'm getting, and the confidence that comes with it.

7. 3rdperson

3rdperson Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Yeah, that's the issue with investing in blockchain tech, you have to do all the work yourself. I think there are some managed options when talking about bitcoin, but i've never been a believer in bitcoin.

8. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    just bought some more gold (hard asset). You can play the blockchain speculative trade with LBCC (not to be confused with LBC(rew). Picked up a few more shares this week in VZ, IBM (this one is a bit risky but I will watch close), BAC. Looking at getting in on UNG with the recent down pressure due to supply. NVDA still continues to be my number one holding for longer term and for trading.

If you are not inclined to play (actually do the research and be on it) with your financial future, I think working with an advisor is prudent. You can have an active management strategy in ETFs and Stocks (and some bonds) and pay a fee to advisor and get some advice that you probably need b/c you don't know much about markets or have the time it takes to make good decisions. Or you could do what Yankee pontificated and buy the S&P index (ETF) for the long term and pay minimal fees and go surf...which is fine really, with the right time horizon!

9. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Goldman Sachs put out a call that bitcoin is going to $0 (may be self serving but they may be right).

Son Bather Bob likes this.
  10. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    ^^^solid

11. 3rdperson

Mar 14, 2014
    I've felt like bitcoin was going to $0 since 2013.

Isn't NVDA propped up by crypto mining right now?

12. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    NVDA is propped up by earnings growth. Their focus is on data centers and auto chips primarily. They are not "charging" the crypto mining business like they could (I think they see that AMD is so focused on this that they have bigger fish to fry...)

graphics and gaming (AI) are core and they are really focused on the these other growth strategies...crypto not so much

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  13. desandan

desandan Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    ^Some good ones mentioned. Difference guys should note compared to crypto is that these all have sustainability and a tracking so you can easily look at charts and other important technicals.

Going off NVDA - AMD is a great day flipper

I been adding some MJ to the port as well but I tend to hold those short.

14. 3rdperson

Mar 14, 2014
    Spent a some time reading a bit about nvda and all the info I can find seems to point to a short. Can you link me some of the info you used to land on your decision?

15. 3rdperson

Mar 14, 2014

Sustainability? .....that's widely open to perception. As far as tracking and technicals... crypto assets have most of the same stuff. Also, what the crypto market has A LOT more of is volatility in the market, AND many different exchanges with loads of variance.

crypto is definitely not for everyone. I agree with you, for most the stock market is by far the best and safest route. However, I've been paying attention to this stuff for long enough to understand what some of these crypto assets actually are, and more importantly how the investing public perceives them. I also know that these opportunities won't be here forever, just trying to maximize them the best I can, for as long as it's here.

desandan likes this.
  16. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I see very little action/hype to short this stock. It has a less than 5% short interest and well over 60% institutional ownership (long). Most analyst are either long or hold. Does not mean you can't make money shorting it though. I prefer (as I have been doing), trading it long. I have a good solid position from 2012 and 2013 that I bought early ($12ish). I have also traded it otherwise since. I do most of my research through TDameritrade and read just about anything that comes up otherwise on that company.

Note, their earnings come out this evening. If they miss, the stock could probably tumble 20% (if so I will buy). They are due for a miss but man its hard to bet against this thing short. I would rather wait for some "bad new" to knock it down and then buy on faith that earnings growth and multiple expansion will continue. IMO.

desandan likes this.
  17. desandan

Feb 12, 2013
    You seem way more informed than most who trade crypto - which is good. I find a lot of people just buy the hype. Agree, it is very volatile. I also believe it is here to stay but too much uncertainty for me personally to take long positions at this time. I have made some money flipping AMD which tends to mirror crypto movement.

18. desandan

Feb 12, 2013
    Chart is overall bullish. Its in a pullback now and looks like it wants to consolidate in the 220s. Going to need some bad numbers to bring if it were to go under 205 again. IMO

19. nopantsLance

nopantsLance Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    [​IMG]

20. NNYNJ

NNYNJ Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Nice little bump this morning after the earnings beat last night!

JayD likes this.