The Flu and Flu Shotts

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by ChavezyChavez, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

You are quoting NBC....worthless. They have an agenda as well, which comes from above.
    Popular press, nothing more.
    Having said that, how do you get from 1.6 billion market to it being responsible for 20 trillion dollar deficit?? Oh, wait....you read Tyrells NBC article.........exactly the effect NBC leadership wants.
    You can do better than that!!!

2. mushdoc

mushdoc Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Lets see here. I said the flu vaccine is a profit center for the companies that make them. You respond with "they lose money". I give you an article that discusses the over billion dollar industry and you just ridicule the source and then ask me some truly stupid question about my resenting them earning money. Hmm. I seem to remember having 'discussions' like this in middle school. For an old guy you tend toward teenage type responses. What's next? Something like..."yo mama?"

littlerhody likes this.

3. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    So if I say everyone I know that got the shot hasn't gotten sick, are we both correct?

My point is, perhaps you are just a healthy dude that naturally fights it off every year...it may have nothing at all to do with the shot at all. If that's the case, you could get the shot and have the same effect, who knows. There may be other out there that do need the shot to fight it off. I don't care either way, I have never gotten the shot. But the "in my bubble" anecdotal arguments aren't doing anything to further any real conversation on anything. It reminds me of the old "well it's cold out side so there must be no global warming arugment."

4. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

As so many articles in the popular press - they are wrong. Not everything that is written is accurate or correct. If they make money last year and this year, there is no guarantee they will with flu vaccines next year. In the long run-it is a loss.

But I will tell you what--if the vaccine companies are NOW making money--good for them. For years , they did not - it was always viewed as a losing proposition by the pharmas (flu vaccines). It is in everyones best interest that they do.
    Now, if one wishes to get vaccinated, or not, it is a choice still.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2018
  5. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Big pharma companies that make the vaccine make money. The money they make come from governments (taxes) who mandate the vaccinations, insurance companies who cover vaccinations, or other buyers licensed to sell and/or administer the vaccine. These other buyers in many cases are employers who give the shot to their employees (and sometimes their family members) for "fee" to keep them from getting sick and taking time off of work, or getting others sick.

My wife's an MD. The hospital she has privileges at vaccinates all of the doctors, nurses, etc. and their family members, for free. Makes sense. The hospital pays for the drug... and the manufacturers and/or wholesalers make a profit.

I'll add that, as I understand it, the profit margin for the flu vaccine is lower than most other drugs, including other vaccines, which have some of the highest profit margins in the industry. So in that sense, they may "lose money." But not really... they still make money. Just not as much.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  6. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    You’re pretty dense dude. It was never about being right. I just stated the facts that I don’t get the flu and don’t get the shot, and many of the people that I know who get the shot, get the flu.

It’s not a matter of right or wrong, it’s a matter of observation is all. The proof is in the results. I will continue doing what I do because it obviously works for me. If someone feels the shot works for them and it keeps the flu away then that’s great, they should do that.

It just seems that most of the people who are hell bent on getting it and try to guilt others into getting it typically are the ones who still get it from time to time, and their justification is, well it could have been worse lol

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    LBCrew likes this.
  7. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Re-posting this since it's one of the very few coherent replies to this thread. This thread has outed the nutjobs almost as well as the politics threads. Really surprising and scary what some of you think.

Using natural news as a source to back up an argument... LOL

HD4 and Barry Cuda like this.
  8. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    You're right... And if I came across as one of those people, and I probably did, I apologize. Hearing about kids dying of the flu in communities close to mine and close to the communities my students come from gets to me.

The fact is I've never had the flu, get my shot every year, and will never really know for sure whether it did or didn't help.

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  9. mushdoc

mushdoc Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Yo mama so dumb she put lipstick on her forehead to make up her mind. AND- Yo mama so dumb she put a quarter in each ear so she could listen to Fifty Cent.

sisurfdogg and nopantsLance like this.
  10. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    All good brother, no need to apologize. The fact that you have never gotten the flu is your own evidence to keep doing what you’re doing, as it must be working for you, and that’s great. I’m all about “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”.

I have seen the reports about people dying and it is sad, never feels good hearing of these stories. My wife has a compromised immune system and when she gets sick, she gets it bad, usually pneumonia and requires her taking heavy doses of Augmentin and sometimes that’s not enough and requires her to get a steroid shot along with some other stuff the doc gives her.

She doesn’t get the shot either because it’s almost never the actual flu. Her situation worries me though.

11. tropic surfer

tropic surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Does Mushdoc qualify as a nutjob because he disagrees with the flu shot?
    Apparently he does to Barry, as any doctor he disagrees with is a homeopathic quack.
    Same with news sources. If you disagree with the source, attack attack. But can you present an argument as to why you think Natural News is , what?..you said nothing really...not reliable?
    Do you get your medical news from WebMd?
    Do you agree all infants 6 months old should be vaccinated with 20 chemical vaccines?
    I should never argue with idiots. So much for resolutions.

12. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Well, now we know why chiropractors are called quackoprators.....

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2018
  13. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    We are on the same page, per your second to last sentence so I will just say this: If you want to prove an argument, especially on a scientific topic, you need to provide information from peer-reviewed, academic articles. This does not exist on sites like Natural News. A good rule of thumb is if the site you are looking at is covered from top to bottom with google ads, the information contained is likely not backed by peer-reviewed scientific evidence.

I don't get "medical news" from anywhere. I go to a doctor who went to school for many years to earn the right to advise me on my health.

sigmund likes this.
  14. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    seems like people who disagree with tropic are miraculously idiots.

15. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

No 6 month old gets 20 vaccines at the same time. You are wrong there, again. Having said that, whether I agree with it or not would require for me to be familiar with the outcomes data. I have not yet seen that data as I am long time retired now. But my daughter has gotten them all; my grand-daughter is in that process. They are both healthy.
    You accept "naturopaths" word (they hate real medicine docs; adversarial relationship; same with quackopractors) in a journal written for idiots.
    Natural News is trash.....it is the organic only, granola eating, berkenstock wearing population that buys into that...except when they get real sick...then they go demanding to see real MDs and expect miracles via pharmaceuticals, just like you do. Hypocrisy.
    I don't think mushdocs disagrees with flu shots--you do, which is fine by me. Don't get one--but if you get seriously ill with the flu someday, stay true to your "natural" convictions- do not seek help from MDs who prescribe pharmaceuticals; that will make you so "filthy", won't it?? Should you develop a secondary infection, take NO antibiotics--they are evil instruments of the devil pharma companies!!! Instead, hug a tree, or save a snail-darter, or ground up some bat wings to help you recover. Maybe Santoria will help.....

just opinion, of course......
    kids today....

sigmund likes this.
  16. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

No problem with that..I'm an idiot, he is a moron.
    Haven't I always said that?? <grin>
    I don't take it personally.
    Those losing the argument always resort to name calling--it heralds the end of the discussion.

17. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I disagree, name calling enhances the conversation and let’s the opposition know where you are at with them lol

Barry Cuda likes this.
  18. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Ha! I can't tell you how many "birth plans" go out the window... how many women who say "NO DRUGS" start begging for an epidural as soon as those first powerful contractions start coming... and how many Doulas get pushed out of the way when the sh!t hits the fan in L&D. My wife has a story a week...

Still... it's a personal choice. You have to live with you, and the decisions you make.

Barry Cuda, sisurfdogg and La_Piedra like this.
  19. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Reminds me of the delivery scene in "Look Who's Talking" with Kirstie Alley lol

20. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    So to muddy the waters further, more anecdotal evidence: Never got the shot, maybe got the flu kinda, once. Went for my checkup in October, doc said flue shot? I said why not? Got it. No reactions. Then in December got the flu, two days bad, five more days of crap.

I was surfing in bad water and my wife just broke her pelvis,so maybe the stress and the bad water made my immune system go down, but it was relatively mild compared to what I've heard.

I won't get a shot next year. Never needed it before, I think it was a coincidence, but as DP said, Coincidence - BS. So.....

DawnPatrol321 likes this.