Huge swell coming!

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by red dog, Feb 24, 2018.

1. TheNomad

TheNomad New Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Southeast Shoal. 7 NM's out. Hurricane Bill, bigger than it looks. upload_2018-3-1_9-9-33.png

2. Jesterface

Jesterface Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2017
    I hope this fixes what beach replenishment screwed up in OCMD. The replenishment screwed our bars up royally.

I tried to stay positive and hope for the best but our waves have been wonko since the fall sand pump

And for all my OCMD people this huge North swell is going to clog the inlet with sand right after they just dredged it. See all the beach replenishment sand has been building up on the sholes. Keeping the inlet navigable is becoming a real issue. Lots of hull damage is leading commercial fishermen to leave OC and port elsewhere.

They are talking ( just talking ) about extending the inlet jettie

3. MASurf

MASurf Active Member

Aug 2, 2017
    There needs to be a cool name for this swell, any ideas?

4. NNYNJ

NNYNJ Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2017
    NY will be firing... It will be going off Sat afternoon, Sunday and Monday

5. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Seldom Seen!!!

MASurf likes this.
  6. PenguinManShark

PenguinManShark Member

May 3, 2017
    Same here in NC. I can think of a couple of beaches that have had their sandbars all goofed from re-nourishment projects this year. The last thing we need are less surfable sandbars.

But on the other hand, we've got an erosion problem too. So there's goods and bads to everything I guess.

7. Jesterface

Jesterface Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Bro's look at Wednesday updated forecast! If that holds we might be in for something serious! 50 year storm type stuff, ask Barry Cuda.

Hurricane Sandy cleared our sholes because it was a South swell but this swell will cause serious shoeling in OCMD.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  8. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Would like to see pics of South FL, Palm Beach areas. Even on Medium sized NE swells that place gets all-time (FL) good. This will make that place look like Fiji

9. JohnnyCornstarch

JohnnyCornstarch Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    I'll be spectating on the big day and surfing on the cleanup day. If it's truly 20 ft I can't imagine anyone in their right mind will be out without a ski or some serious experience. I just want to see some raw oceanic power. I could watch big waves break all day long. Beats sitting in an office.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    red dog likes this.
  10. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Charge them bro!

11. red dog

red dog Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Easy Body!

12. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Still no cleanup here... but I'm sure Belmar will be firing (as it always is..)

I'm as well hoping for at least a little sand shifting around here too- seems like with a weeks worth of messy waves it's gotta change up. Not that the sand bars are bad right now- I know of one popular spot that has the perfect sand set up... but the sand at my favorite spring/summer spots is not in the right place... so maybe...maybe some good will come of it, if it's unsurfable

It's like the old saying "if it was summer, I would surf it..." but no so much when you gotta put on the winter suite...

Would love to see some pics of other spots on the east coast that are going off with this swell event.

Mr. Belmar is getting the ski's ready for the artificial reef in Belmar... heard seldom seen is even gonna make a cameo appearance for this swell event!

Your pal and bff
    Mr Belmar

sisurfdogg likes this.
  13. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Badly needed. Actually just bypassing sand around the inlet makes more sense given the condition of north assatesgue, but the park service wont allow it. From a nav standpoint extending the north jetty would help. It also greatly restore the once great surf spot. I don't really expect to see either...they will just keep dredging the inlet.

14. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
  15. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

When the going gets tough, the tough get going to scantily clad thread......

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2018
  16. mrcoop

mrcoop Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Heading to the keys tomorrow (if flight isnt cx or delayed) for an extended vaca...gonna miss it...go getem folks!

17. NotAMasshole

NotAMasshole Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Live storm update from s shore MA- Wind is gusting to 55 already. Im on a hill above Nantasket. Trees down, fence dismantled. The worst is yet to come. Flooding is gonna be unreal with the next 2-3 high tides

18. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Heading to the beach this weekend. If I had mad computer skills I'd Post the Carolina beach fuckast for the window I'll be able to surf. I either pissed Poseidon off or or he's watching out for me. The forecast looks like a big smile with my window being the bottom lip...
    I tried to draw it.... I'm a luddite...

19. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    I'm seeing rideable waves Monday evening. May have until Wed morning to get after them. Wish'd we could get some over the wknd, at least Sunday but the wind is making a real push then. Lil less excited now since i'll have to work during the weekday, but also no day looking guaranteed tho Tuesday has had the best prospect for the last several days. Guess i'll rewax the boards this wknd in anticipation, my cold wax had me slipping on some of my boards the last times out

20. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013

I'm racking my brain, all I can come up with is Oh-Feel-Ya, that's only if I get some goods, otherwise I got nothing.

MASurf likes this.