North Carolina Sande Recon - CA Carpetbagger Edition. paging erock

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by za_gaf, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Rob_Kelly

Rob_Kelly Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    It is all true.

Southern NC absolutely sucks for waves.

2. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Oh thanks for the heads up. Iv never been there and don't visit there frequently and know nothing about NC so this really helps for future endeavours.

La_Piedra likes this.

3. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Keep in mind hurricane/storm and flood insurance requirements, depending on area.
    Refer also to FEMA flood risk maps. There are no guarantees that a tidewater location won't get flooding, but at least it's something. A little advance "sand recon" strongly recommended.
    We're not in a flood zone, but our section of street still got flooded, and we lost a car when Matthew blew through here in Oct 2016. Other VA Beach neighborhoods in "non-flood" zones fared worse. Many were storm drain problems. Sorry, not trying to be a buzz kill. It just wasn't a fun experience.
    Still, I wish you the best.

4. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    [​IMG]

5. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Back in the day when all you had to worry about was paraquat weed and El Zorb Razor

6. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    still here gaff?

7. za_gaf

za_gaf New Member

Mar 6, 2018
    don't know haven't logged out of this session; but I can't login from any other devices. When I try, it says my email was not found. I think I'm on my 12th iteration of zagaffer, Austine an simod666 keep whackin em

Barry Cuda likes this.
  8. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    I'd go to central coast CA, Morrow Bay, San Luis Obispo or somewhere like that. It's everything that southern CA is not. Only challenge is homes are still pretty expensive due to water crisis.

LBCrew likes this.
  9. oipaul

oipaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2006
    I know there was a reason why we got along...good luck with the move mano!

10. Aqua boy

Aqua boy Active Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Don't go nags head or kitty hawk are if you're looking for land though. Look over the currituck bridge in Grandy or surrounding area. Still only 20min from turn to go duck village or south...

11. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I love going down to NC to visit the woman's rents, everyone is so polite! Surfed Wrightsville a couple times and had a blast. Each time I was there waves were decent, crowd was spread out and dudes were cool, no problems. I know others will absolutely disagree with me, but whatever. either way, good luck man!

12. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    This is one thing that surprises me every time I'm down there. Everyone is so nice. Complete strangers say hi and good morning on the street. It takes me back. In NY, you just get stink eyes every where. It's funny because although it seems like a positive, i find it so strange and get so taken back that it almost bothers me

Zeroevol likes this.
  13. mullinsd249

mullinsd249 Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Wrightsville Beach is nice, and the people there are always friendly. There is something always going on around there for the physically active individuals. Surf can be pretty good; most of your decent days will be in the knee to waist-high range, but there are the occasional chest-high days. About 45 mins north of WB is Topsail/Surf city; the forecasts for the areas can be pretty different depending on the wind. Best surf I have had in the area has been in Surf City when there has been something going on in the Atlantic. I would definitely invest in a long board or something pretty buoyant if you are going to be moving anywhere south of the OBX.

14. ncsurfnc

ncsurfnc Member

May 20, 2013
    My vote Wilmington. Nice area around the new RiverLights on the Cape Fear. In the middle between Carolina Beach, Wrightsville & downtown. I own property in Raleigh (Cary) and Wilmington. I love Wilmington/Wrightsville and there as much as time permits but darn nice in Raleigh/the Triangle if you have to live a little inland. A tad closer to OBX from Raleigh so quick morning drive to OBX for good surf. Surfs pretty inconsistent in SNC so would rather live in Wilmington as more to do during the flat spells (good beer & food there too).

15. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    That's my favorite part of CA. Scored some beautiful waves there, solo, at someplace I just happened upon driving down the coast. A little sketchy with all of the seals... or sea lions... whateverthef. But the water was crystal clear blue-green and the waves were glassy and super ripable. Pretty sure it was some obscure sand/rock reef, and have no idea what the consistency is like. I may have just gotten lucky...

Wavestrom likes this.
  16. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Jeez don't tell me they've already banned Gaff againe

17. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    My brother lives in Cambria, great little surf town where you know everyone in the water, nice set-ups, and consistent year-round. Downsides, water stays pretty cold, and whitey shows up every so often, but it's the best of California.

Wavestrom likes this.
  18. Ronnie Mund

Ronnie Mund Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Check Carteret county. Croatan National Forest has good hunting. Surf in EI, AB, Shack, and Cape LO all which are really close. 70 is a strait shot to Raleigh. New Bern, Beaufort and a few other coastal towns nearby that have good food and nightlife.

19. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I agree with everything you said. I guess "much needed" were the wrong words to describe the bridge. If you know what you're doing the small bridge is a non-issue.

20. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    if you come to Wilmington hit me up. you got my email. i can help you out, show you around, go surf, etc