So, Assateague and Ocean City...what's the deal?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Gaijin, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Gaijin

Gaijin Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Hai. I appreciate that. Hence was only speaking in general terms of region versus region. My current situation is kinda like an extended shitty surf trip. My water time is extremely limited and it costs a lot to get there. Not asking for set waves at the main peak or to bang anyones sister, just want the best surf I can get for my effort. Same way I figure anyone going off to a destination would seek information. Arigato.

2. Gaijin

Gaijin Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Hai. I appreciate that and quite poetic. In an everyday, dialed in, full quiver, and actually lived anywhere near the beach type situation... I am the exact same way. Alas, that is not how I am living thus I seek the best quality (with in reason, I mean I'm not looking t sit shoulder to shoulder with anyone) and desire to only ride a HPSB or at worst a RNF. Arigato.

3. willburne

willburne Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2017
    I live ocean city, and have had the pleasure of surfing up and down the east. I agree with belmar, if I lived in dc, and I had 3 hours to drive to go surf, I’d be going to New Jersey more than ocean city... but the question was why OC not AI, not where is the best place to surf on the mid - North Atlantic... the reason most choose oc is because it’s more of a near shore beachy. Idk where you were to see ‘ in and out barrel sections’ but either way the paddle out is absolutely torture on bigger days and it’s almost not worth it. To each their own, I personally find Oc a lot more fun because of steep drops, more shallow bars and fast pits. Some people want to surf with their bouys, and not alone. The reason you ‘ used ‘ to have a spot uptown that’s no longer there is because you have surfed 18 times in the last whatever time period you mentioned. Sand moves man, I’d recommend grabbing your suite and swim fins, snorkel too and go do sand reconne . But take sand samples to study the bathymetry, it’s all in the sand....

Gaijin likes this.
  4. Gaijin

Gaijin Member

Mar 10, 2017
    I too have considered NJ but the thought of dealing with afternoon Baltimore traffic in addition to DC beltway traffic I already face is more than I can bare. Plus my childcare options are kinda headed the other direction towards Annapolis. Maybe in-and-out is the wrong description but lefts swept away from you slightly so if you came behind the first section it threw over you but after that it was all pocket or wall as pictured (if I did that right). 29540966_1805107169540115_3443377265130873477_n.jpg
    Agreed the paddle out at AI can suck and to each their own. Was interested in a local perspective, so thanks for your input. Next swell I may search out some new locales. Arigato.

Zeroevol and willburne like this.
  5. SkegLegs

SkegLegs Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    AI is only better than town in 2 conditions that are on opposite ends of the spectrum. And the general rule for the sandbars is:

Town = good in winter
    Assateague = good in summer

6. willburne

willburne Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Great picture, that’s cool. Def might check th next swlll out. But I think most people just want to surf with their bouys. It’s easier to convince the others how shacked you got when your bouys are backing you up. And when your suite can’t keep you warm, watching your mates get drained in front of you will. No worries on the pointers. See you out there some time

Gaijin likes this.
  7. mop

mop Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010

8. mop

mop Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Man you should be so happy that your getting good waves in your own head and everyone else is leaving you alone. Do even know how annoying it is with some wanna be goon constantly on your every move cause you got the peak figured out? Enjoy the solitude man! Surf your own session not everyone else's, it took me years to figure that out. This area is so tricky, write down the periods swell direction wind direction and wind speed for each swell, and then you might have a chance. Your absolutely right about these boys being tube hounds and they know exactly how to surf it low tide or high tide so don't worry about what their doing. Don't follow what the sheep do, lead and workout too.

willburne and Gaijin like this.
  9. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Best advise I ever heard... I couldn't have said it better myself

NJsurfer30 and Rob Gnarley like this.
  10. Gaijin

Gaijin Member

Mar 10, 2017
    OK. thanks for the feedback Arigato!

11. Gaijin

Gaijin Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Thanks for the feedback. There's a lot to be said for catching waves in solitude but also for riding the best waves available, crowd or not. Trying to find that middle ground I guess. Tricky indeed. Arigato!

12. rearly9986

rearly9986 Active Member

Apr 11, 2012

13. rearly9986

rearly9986 Active Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Back in the late 70's, I convince my non surfing cousin to paddle across to Assateague north end. He struggled but we made it, what did we find, perfect head high A frame, lefts off the jetty. The longest rides of my life, with nobody out. My cousin used the board I gave him to belly the rides, we had a blast. Even today after all these years and miles of travel, including riding one of the longest lefts at Boca Barranca, CR. We still get together and he always brings up that day at Assateague, he said and I quote, "I may have never learned to surf, But that day at Assateague made me realize why you are so passionate." One day in the life.

headhigh and Gaijin like this.
  14. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    If there's not a crowd of people on a peak a lot of people won't paddle out there. Pack mentality.

Gaijin likes this.
  15. foamieswithmyhomies

foamieswithmyhomies Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2014
    I never understood that herd mindset, I guess everyone always assumes someone knows something they don't

Gaijin likes this.
  16. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Its this simple ^^^.

I would add one other thing:

A single big storm can come through and hook up OC with great sandbars while ruining the sandbars at Assateague.

Three months of calmer weather can ruin the sandbars at OC and groom up beautiful sandbar peaks at Assateague.

Which is better...ice cream or beer?

Gaijin likes this.
  17. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Maybe you can hook up with the Annapolis Surf Buoys and split the cost of the travel. They are so agro! Like all surf spots, they have their days. I've surfed one street in OC and it sucks, go up or down 20 streets and it's great. I've also gone to the spot we will not name and it's sucked, but OC was firing. Good luck!

PS, tell us about yourself. What do you ride, what music do you listen to, do you have a dog, what do you drive, pics of the ol lady, etc.

Gaijin and La_Piedra like this.
  18. funkyspec

funkyspec Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    You may also want to consider checking out IRI northside, especially on bigger days. When I first moved back to the east coast, I had to "commute" to surf from northern Baltimore County and I am pretty sure I was able to get there quicker than OC or AI. On good days it can line up for some pretty long rides for this area. The new parking lot has a shorter walk to the beach than previously. Once summer rolls around though, that place can be a zoo.

Also, summer in OC you have guarded beaches, lack of available parking, and traffic to contend with. Now is a good time of the year to hit up OC. You'll probably be better off just heading to AI in the summer unless you are dawn patrolling. State park at AI seems better than the national side on most days. State park parking is more expensive than national, esp. if your car is not tagged in MD. In the summer, on nice beach days, there can be lines to drive into either the state or national park so plan on getting there before 10-ish or after 3-ish.

Gaijin likes this.
  19. TDTubes

TDTubes Well-Known Member

May 30, 2007
    I too live in DC area now and try to get out monthly and usually end up in OC or DE. the ~6 hour round trip sucks though and with limited times to go I get skunked by the wind some and just look for shelter (especially in the cold), which is no where to be found on Assateague. Ass. usually is mellower wave and longer paddle, also another 15-20 min drive south of OC. The sandbars vary more in town so options from shore pound to more mellow and everything between, just need to search. Ass. faces more south so the wind/wave direction plays some too, but not really. Where you come from? Big ups for braving the winter...

P.S. avoid Jersey, the tolls and getting through DE is the worst.

Gaijin likes this.
  20. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I wouldn't go here, place is very inconsistent and crappy!

foamieswithmyhomies and Gaijin like this.