worst board you ever had

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by metard, Apr 6, 2018.

1. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    i had 2 potato chip boards in the early 90s that really sucked. just didn't work in mid-atlantic surf. then a few years ago I got an EPS board and despised it.

Mr.Belmar and metard like this.
  2. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    I did that too but for some reason was convinced I just need to adapt to the board. I struggled for about a year then said screw it and got something that worked for me.

3. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    true.

4. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    yup. i got so frustrated, i bitched out my shaper and he made me a fish.

5. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Well, you have to know what you want in a custom board and have it shaped exactly THAT way. I have never disliked a custom ordered board.
    As for a woman, it is best to know what you DON"T want; that gets rid of the trash *usually*.

6. soulrider

soulrider Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    6’2” Kechele squish.... just did not work for me. could Not get the thing on rail.... felt stiff, too stable. Got it for cheap brand new off a guy who thought it would be a good first board... sold the thing a couple months later.

7. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    my second board ever was one of his personal comp boards. trashed and ultra thin glass.

soulrider likes this.
  8. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I won a board playing poker one time years ago when I first lived on Oahu ($80). The guy just would not quit. Anyway, he paid me with a custom 7'6" that was probably a couple of years old. It was beefy and somewhat of a gun...wide and thick with pulled in pin tail. I surfed it at Lani's and Himalayas (one of the bigger waves of my life that day), surfed sunset on smaller days with it a few times...it wasn't that it was a horrible board but it was always getting dinged, cracked a fin on the reef (glassed on fins), and I never really felt like I road it proper (probably b/c I wasn't paddling into 15' sunset lol). Anyway, I felt like it was cursed b/c of how it was acquired. I ended up giving it away, and it made it's rounds to a few friends and otherwise. I ended up getting a rounded pin 7'2" T&C Glenn Pang which was/is one of my all time favorite boards.

Edgar_Phriendly likes this.
  9. HaoleNJ

HaoleNJ Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Too many to name. There aren’t enough good waves to waste on bad boards. If it doesn’t work, I’ve learned to cut my losses, sell it and move on.

I figure most board will work for someone but not everyone. All because it doesn’t work for doesn’t mean it completely sucks, not to say there aren’t just terrible boards out there, there clearly are.

10. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Fixed up a early vintage 9'6 shaped by a legendary east coast shaper hoping the board would be a good rider. Total dog.

11. Big Wet Monster

Big Wet Monster Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    YES - bought a few vintage boards thinking they'd go great and they were horrible. -learned a lot about fixing boards though

12. billdrit

billdrit Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2017
    trying to figure out your signature...are you trying to say that you're straight?

Edgar_Phriendly likes this.
  13. SCOB3YVILLE

SCOB3YVILLE Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I bought this boart from this guy in NZ. Payed way too much! Surfs like shitte

I think his name was R. Stuart or something..?!

14. Edgar_Phriendly

Edgar_Phriendly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2018
    its Ayn Rand
    He's a Rugged individualist

and you arent well read

Barry Cuda and La_Piedra like this.
  15. Edgar_Phriendly

Edgar_Phriendly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2018
    now look what ya done made me do

SCOB3YVILLE likes this.
  16. Kook4Life

Kook4Life Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Ahhh Ayn Rand...She is a terrible author but fitting in today's age.

17. red dog

red dog Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    bic magnum! no clue what I was doing! when I pearled, which was always. that thing was like a truck coming at your head! you could drop it of an overpass and surf it right after! stupid kook!

18. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
  19. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Bwahahaha, i’d rock that all day long!!

smitty517 likes this.
  20. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Closest thing to a dog was my Eaton Bonzer. Was my fault cuz i didnt understand how to surf it.

This wasnt a dog but i put my foot through a Linden during session #1. They replaced fo free so no issues with Linden.