Undecided - November CR

Discussion in 'Surf Travel' started by UnfurleD, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

No problem, wave storm. I was just passing on my experience. Bottom line, wherever there are lots of drugs, there is lot of petty crime--need for buying next fix. My experience in CR is that they take even real cheap crap, as well as value items.
    My experience in PR has been similar, but not as bad. In PR, I drive to the beach, hide my key in a magnet key box, leave windows open with $2 on dash; junkies take money and leave car alone--they got enough for next high, they rush off to buy it, leaving car alone. Lock it up and you have broken windows, etc. I even did that as a kid growing up there--not sure if that would work in CR. Never tried it there. Have a great trip. Oh, yes, I was in Tamarindo. And I do not believe it would be different any other location, IF DRUGS ARE THERE.

2. B Grigz

B Grigz Active Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Santa Teresa and Mal Pais. Shuttle from the airport for $50.....and rent an atv for a week for 300(no deposit). Mal Pais is mushier...Santa Teresa more pitchy. No real barrels......more of a skate park break.

3. LongIslandBro

LongIslandBro Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2017
    There’s just GOTTA be a personal, heart wrenching story as to why you’re so anti drug.
    Brother a junkie? Sis a crack head? High school buddies OD?
    Let’s hear it Barry. We’re all ears.

4. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

All ears...you are a donkey???

5. LongIslandBro

LongIslandBro Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Barry, I say this with heartfelt sincerity:
    You deflecting like that tells me it’s a tragic story.
    I was just messin with ya before viejo. I got nuthin but love for you.
    Hard drugs destroy lives. Soft drugs are different.

6. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    They will steal your stuff off the beach and in your car at Ocean Reef Park here in Palm Beach County Florida, 10 miles from the winter home of Trump, and there are rehab centers by the beach all up and down the Florida Gold Coast. Footwear left at the foot of a boardwalk or stairway is opportunity for someone who needs a pair of flops. A beachbag left unattended is prime game for druggie thiefs. Be aware where ever you go.

It's probably best to have 3 amigos, two paddle out, one stays watch onshore, and rotate shifts on foreign sands. If alone, pay a token vig to a local kid to watch your stuff, just to be extra safe and respectful. Ask the owner of a vacation rental or a cantina who to trust.

7. imperial

imperial Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2008
    We've been traveling to CR since 2003 and bought a place in Jaco in 2007. Its our second home. Being teachers, we spend June, July and the first part of August every year. Traveling at Thanksgiving is a good time because its fairly quiet because its right before their "high" season which is the busy time of year. Kids get out of school in mid December until mid February and its hot and busy then. The waves are still there in November but the southern hemi season runs from May - Nov. You are catching the tail end so Pavones will not likely be a good choice. It needs a large southern swell to break all the way through from the rocks through the river mouth into the bay. Been there four times in June and July and scored perfect 6-8 ft 3 of the four trips. The fourth was still good but not breaking all the way through. Dominical and Hermosa always have waves and would be your best bet...these two places ALWAYS break good. With the roads being much better now than in the past you can drive from Hermosa to Dominical in about an hour and fifteen minutes. Dominical is a bit more laid back than Hermosa.

Here is a link to my friends that run ZUMA CAR RENTAL in Jaco.

https://www.zumarentacar.com/zuma-rent-a-car.php

Warren and his staff speak perfect English and they will meet you at the airport with your car, take you back to Jaco where you drop of the driver (Mario or Carlos). You keep your car for the vacation then when its time for you to leave, you stop by the office where you check out and they take you back to the airport FREE. The price you see on their website INCLUDES THE MANDATORY CR GOVERNMENT INSURANCE. There are NO hidden fees. When you rent from Alamo, Hertz, Avis, they screw you at the airport because they don't tell you about the mandatory insurance of the websites. Transfer from the airport to Jaco/Hermosa will run you $90 - $130 depending on your cab driver, transfer company, or now Uber driver. Bus is by far the cheapest but the hour and 20 minute ride can take as long as 3 - 4 hours on the bus!!! Pura Vida time amigo.

If you have any questions or want some more info, PM me. CR is our second home and my wife and I love to spread the beauty of this country to anyone interested.

8. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    ^^^solid stuff right there. Thanks for the tips hermano.

9. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Nope--neither I nor my family has any tragic story with drugs.
    Your classification of drugs is silly--all drugs have negative effects over time, as well as enjoyable ones.

10. Wavestrom

Wavestrom Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    What's your take on the risk for petty theft?

11. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
    Popping my CR cherry and heading to Avellanes/Negra area in July-Aug

12. imperial

Jun 2, 2008
    Check out Cabinas Las Olas right there at Avellanes...Roscio runs a top notch place!!! Perfect access to all the breaks along that stretch of the beach. You got the river mouth, rock reefs "Little Hawaii" La Roca and then of course perfect beachbreak A frames. Gotta go see the pig!!!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    La_Piedra likes this.
  13. imperial

Jun 2, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  14. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
    Can you recommend anybody to hook me up with non-surfing stuff to do, like the other attractions (volcanoes, monkeys etc)???

15. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Have you ever seen the inside of a Turkish prison?

16. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
    They got hashish in CR?

17. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Maybe.

You ever been in a cockpit before? Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

- Airplane!

18. imperial

Jun 2, 2008
    They got DA CREEEEEPY ;)

19. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I might be able to connect you to hookers via a "friend" of mine. But you can find them on your own, if you so wish. I kept away from them-happy with my lady at home.
    Yo escuche consejo, y así, llegue a ser viejo!!

20. jlynn

jlynn New Member

Apr 12, 2018
    surfed from Ollie's point to Mata Palo. the guy up top was right, Mal Pais is a can't miss. Always surf in mornings (winds on it by 10) and late afternoon. everyday! if u surf a longboard or shortboard the Osa rocks. unless you are goofy mata palo is a great right across Golfo Dulce from Pavones. 5 minute boat ride. Corcovado national park is over there so it is a bit safer. pan Dulce is a perfect longboarding right, basically an extension of Mata palo. And of course the famous Pavones. Buena Suerte