Tell me again why your boards start at $700

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by grainofsand, Jun 21, 2018.

1. jaklsurfs

jaklsurfs Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2015
  2. jaklsurfs

jaklsurfs Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2015
    But maybe Walmart will start sellin em and yu can really save some money

headhigh, heaps of Meh and La_Piedra like this.

3. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I wouldn't blame the shapers for overpriced work.i build shit for a living so I know how costs all go down and its fucking expensive.

idk how much time goes into building a board but where I work the quote is 100/hr.thats just the labor.then u got to factor in material,tools,consumables.i just finished a job building little water manifold sprayer things for a steel mill that goes around a big cylinder that flattens cherry hot steel.things are 1800$ a piece,i think I made 14 of them,3 different sizes

4. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    and with the new tarrifs on steel,just made shit so much worse.engineer came out the other day talking about if we buy it today its $35k.if they wait til the drawings are approved its $55k.all our steel is from local distributors but the distributors get it from canada

5. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Yawl got some good hook ups. I picked up a custom LB from the brother of a super well known shaper last year and still paid $900! With that being said I got no regrets as the board is dynOmite

6. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I totally remember when this guy was a local shaper down in IB, the best Boca Rio surfers were all riding his shapes.

Good shaper, I'd ride his shapes. Especially at around $500. I think my last custom Hank Warner was $550 with a polished finish. That guy's shaped a few over the years too lol.

Sometimes you're paying for the shaper. I'd pay $1200 for a Frye or $800 for a Christenson or a Mandala but I'd never pay those prices for an Ellington, and Jim is a great guy and a very good shaper.

SCOB3YVILLE likes this.
  7. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Real watersports is a really bad example. Dude. Fake watersports. Kiteboard shit.

8. beachbreak

Apr 7, 2008
    Jay novak is ok good but he makes his boards hundreds of dollars less just so he can survive. His own marketing niche. Aka surfboards never really took off.

9. beachbreak

Apr 7, 2008
    You haven't even begun to scratch the surface. When i see the blank shaped i feel guilty how little my new board costs.

By the time the pinlines are taped off and done i am ashamed of myself.

The polished gloss time and effort have me unable to look my shaper in the face.

Each board, countless hours back- breaking work.

I couldn't believe my eyes.

The worker deserves his wages.

Ghetto, headhigh, Barry Cuda and 3 others like this.
  10. beachbreak

Apr 7, 2008

Did we answer your question op?

jaklsurfs likes this.
  11. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    So by saying this you know right off the bat this story is either bullshit, or poorly written. No credibility whatsoever.

Labor to manufacture completely ignores materials. I was building boards in 2010 and the materials for a board were in the $150 range. Thats JUST the bare essentials to build a board at wholesale prices (Blank $50 + resin $25 + cloth $20 + fin boxes/leash cup $25 + misc. $30. No amortizing tools, rental space, utilities. So they ignored or forgot that and it makes their numbers a joke.

I worked in a surf shop from 2000 - 2002 and the manufacturers we carried (Stewart, Lost, CI, Natural Art, Dick Brewer's Plumeria) were selling boards wholesale to the shop i worked in for about $325-$350 in 2000. I doubt that ten years later the price was lower.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  12. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    It wasn't for me...so I can't say.

Ghetto and SCOB3YVILLE like this.
  13. SCOB3YVILLE

SCOB3YVILLE Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Can I come play I got a g to play with

heaps of Meh likes this.
  14. grainofsand

grainofsand Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Edit: I get it, $700 is steep for a non longboard and I would personally never pay it. But saying that a local/regional or a backyard shaper is price gouging... that's just plain wrong.[/QUOTE]
    Never specifically said backyard shaper, this applies to the entire market.
    BTW did you find any shapers by name that will state for a FACT what their building cost is per board? Only the board, not rent because those are variables. For instance, the price of a box space in Melbourne, FL is probably 35% less expensive than Cardiff, CA
    Thanks for your thoughts

15. grainofsand

Jun 26, 2014
    Actually, from a business standpoint these guys are Genius! I've been in the shop several times just to look. I've never bought anything there tho. I prefer Rodanthe Surf Shop, when I'm down that way.

16. grainofsand

Jun 26, 2014
    Thanks for your contribution. I talked to OP and he said that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that he appreciates your admiration of his craft.

17. grainofsand

Jun 26, 2014
    If anything, the prices of materials are priced more competitively since the article was published.
    Varial Foam, Mellinium, Eskimo, US Blanks, Viking...,, plus many more resin and manufacturing choices.
    I put this out to HH earlier: Get a shaper (By Name) to publish his true cost minus rent of the cost of a board, we can go from there.

18. grainofsand

Jun 26, 2014
    Thanks for the input. By your math, on the low end, let's be fair = Start to finish a board 5 hours 5hr x $30hr = $150 labor cost + $200 board cost = $350 wholesale to shop $450 so the shaper makes $250 profit per board ($150 labor +$100 from shop), shop marks board up to $750 makes $300 profit per board.

19. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Business 101: In order to protect your margins, do not tell your customers what you pay for your products.

I feel like I'm talking to a child so I will put it in terms that maybe you can understand: When your mommy and daddy buy you a nintendo game at walmart, walmart doesn't tell them what their cost is on the game because then your mommy and daddy will feel like they should have to pay less for the game.

20. grainofsand

Jun 26, 2014
    Again, sorry to hurt your feelings, this isn't personal. On a side note: Walmart is the best at what they do because they price match ;)