A Guide to St Augustine

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by UnfurleD, Jun 29, 2018.

1. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    Got a long wknd planned down there in about a month. Any spots i should check out? I've only stopped thru on my FL trips. This will be the first that i sit in for the wknd. Beach house looks like it's right in the heart of St. Aug Beach, south of the pier. Down there for a bachelor party, so anything else landworthy i'll take suggestions too. thank yer fellas

desandan likes this.
  2. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Pray for waves, it’s been dismal for an entire month.

3. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    You looking for just surf related stuff? If not, I would def check out Castillo de San Marcos. Idk if you're into history like I am, but the fort was built in the 1600's. Fort is totally made of coquina, it's pretty bad ass. St. Augustine is the oldest city in the US, so there is a lot of historical shit to see.

As far as nightlife, there are a ton of goods bars. No Name Bar, Ice Plant, Stoogies to name a few.

4. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Our church is in St. Augustine, and it is awesome. Covenant Presbyterian OPC.
    Pastor Watkins wil take you for a surf, too.

5. UnfurleD

Jul 13, 2016
    word, bars are good to know. def driving down so bringing some boards. heard ppl go by the pier, pretty obvious, but wonder if there are other spots/streets for any noteable breaks. thought i heard ppl surf Anastasia park but i might be getting that confused with other FL towns

6. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Im sure he will! Is that what they are calling it now?

Zeroevol likes this.
  7. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Mantanzas is good if there are any waves that time of year.

8. UnfurleD

Jul 13, 2016
    we got skunked too in June. but by the time i'm in St. Aug, it'll be in over a month, so right in the start of a usual early cane season. always weirds me out that a beach house has a pool

9. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Yeah by that time you may get lucky with some tropical swell. Burn an old beat up surf boart as a sacrifice and that should bring good surf.

Zeroevol likes this.
  10. Kahuna Kai

Kahuna Kai Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Burn a good board, get a tattoo that someone else gets to choose and sacrifice a virgin. That should summon Poseidon.

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  11. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Meh, tattoos are so yesterday.....

12. DpapaK

DpapaK Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Vilano @ high tide. Pier for the crowds. A Street for what its worth. Someone mentioned Matanzas Inlet which can produce and be somewhat uncrowded (till now oops). Blow Hole - bring a bike...but if we get a swell it may be your best bet.
    Bars? Hell, bars-o-plenty down there...
    Fort walk about - for the win!
    Have fun and enjoy the wedding!

Zeroevol likes this.
  13. UnfurleD

Jul 13, 2016
    Wedding is in Ohio. F That. I'll go to the bachelor party in FL tho. thx for the info

14. Panhandler

Panhandler Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Was just going to say Vilano on the south end by some rocks. Probably won't be big unless there's something tropical but should be good on an LB. Yet to be skunked there, but I also was not expecting it to be epic in the summer

15. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    The plant is now a church with a name. They bought a property and built buildings on it, too. It's big.

16. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Salt Life Restaurant bro

Zeroevol likes this.
  17. dlrouen

dlrouen Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2012
    We go down to St. Augustine every year for Widespread Panic in mid-September. I can honestly say I've never seen "waves" in St. Augustine. Granted we're only there for a week a year.

We usually stay in Old Town, so here's the list of cool shit to do in Old Town:

- Athena's Greek Restaurant: Order the "flaming cheese." They literally light a mound of cheese on fire in front of you. Not only is it cool & tough, but it tastes really good. Ancient City Brewing just opened up a bar next door, so be sure to go over there before and/or after Athena's.

- Burrito Works: The best drunk food in St. Augustine. Get the UFO burrito. Never ordered it sober, but I think it's like a taco stuffed inside of a fajita inside a burrito. Order one there and one to go for late night munchies.

- The Social Lounge: The best bar in St. Augustine. It's a little off the beaten path, but they have the best selection of craft beer in the area. The owners, Scott and Coleen, are also super cool and will take great care of you; especially if you bring a six pack of your local craft beer. Tell them I said "hello" and that I'll see them in September.

- Avoid A1A....that place is a total tourist trap and it sucks.

- Casa Maya: The outdoor bar is freaking sweet and they have a decent brunch. Dinner is great, but it's all Mayan cuisine, so chow down if you like eating lamb brains. Definitely cool though.

Highly recommend getting a ticket for the tourist train that takes you around the historic sites in St. Augustine. One of the stops is the Fountain of Youth, which is a great place to get hammered.

Have fun!

18. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    A-street, blow hole, drive on the beach, fun.

19. Sir_Ballyhoo

Sir_Ballyhoo Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    pdub and Ghetto like this.