Body Surfing Big Waves

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by DawnPatrol321, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Cwhite

Cwhite Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Agree with you on the ERS4's & don't like the Churchills. They are what I have been wearing since Redley's stopped being manufactured. ERS4's are identical to old Redley's. Most comfortable & great response & float in salt water. Viper V5 & V7 fins are good for quick bursts of speed but can wear on ankle joints after a while. They are a narrow fin & find that they cause more cramps on the side of your feet which SUCK!! Mike Stewart Vipers are more comfortable than V5's & 7's.

La_Piedra and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  2. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Vipers. Get the 7"

Everybody's feet and body mechanics are different. Vipers don't bother my feet AT ALL... but they tear other people's feet up terribly. I like their stiffness (accelerate well) and their excellent for steerage with the side ribs. A very simple design... very effective.

heaps of Meh and DawnPatrol321 like this.

3. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks brotha, appreciate the tip!

4. Merx

Merx Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2018
    They're everywhere, including the arctic. Black spiny evilly lurking only two feet from the shoreline molested my heel down in the islands. Broke off into my foot... intense pain, bordering severe. Heated some smelly, black tar-like substance from a local plant to draw the rest of it out. Stained my foot for two weeks but worked.

5. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Thank you, Dr. Livingston.

heaps of Meh likes this.
  6. Merx

Merx Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2018
  7. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
  8. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    "Neeber tush dee reef."

JayD likes this.
  9. ocripcurrent

ocripcurrent Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2008
    LOL @ surfborters talking about swimfins

MS Vipers or Yuccas - go symmetrical
    Viper Deltas or Air Hubbs - asymmetrical

Or get serious with yourself and pick up a pair of Voit Duckfeet

10. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

If you were serious you would be using zero fins as either a bodysurfer or boogie boarder. The best at the sport use their feet. You??
    Also--there is little to NO science in fins. One uses what best fits them or what best works for them, IF, they require fins at all.
    The rest is all marketing; nothing more. Same with surfboards, etc.

11. heaps of Meh

heaps of Meh Active Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Id go with dafin
    viper has a few different models, softer pocket, harder blade etc and I see a lot of guys (cunningham, stewart (I think) and others) using the vipers

also, I would never use cressi fins to play in surf, they are meant for enduring propulsion (think scuba,snorkel, spearfish), not bursts of speed and they are too long and unwieldly in the surf

had an epic session at panics yesterday

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  12. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I'll tell you what's funny. You laughing at surfers suggesting fins, then you suggesting the same fin mentioned. Vipers. I didn't know surfers could only know about surfing. Sheesh. Looks like the surfer/body boarder racism goes both ways. Douche canoe

As far as urchins go......

13. ocripcurrent

ocripcurrent Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2008
  14. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
    Cressi is the Chris Craft of swimfins

15. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks, Vipers and the ERS4’s seem to be the highest recommendation among those who know. I’ll check em out.

16. northendcanyon

northendcanyon Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Vipers are great fins but a little stiff, as others have mentioned. If you are going to bodysurf shorebreak with them, get the v5. If you're seriously going to go out on overhead waves where it's breaking on the outside bar, you might want to consider the v7 for more thrust. Going out into the big surf without a board, you will be feeling the undercurrent a lot more and you will be working a lot more to stay in the lineup. The nice thing is you won't have to worry about getting wrecked by a wave breaking on you since duck diving is like playing in the surf without having that flotation device.

I personally use toobz bluntcutz, I have since way back and they serve me well. The duckfeet also get a vote up from me since I have heard they are the dankness from a close friend but have never personally used them.

Barry, let us know how you do with no fins (what a kook yall lol!) :p

17. northendcanyon

northendcanyon Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Also guys, I can't emphasize this enough, channel your inner thresher shark and get that arm up in the wave face like a rudder. It also helps if you have a big round belly, from what I have seen, can't say from experience...

heaps of Meh and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  18. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
    Duck Feet are the fastest fins I've ever used, but they will fuck your feet up (hard stiff foot pocket) and make your calves knot up like they took a gunshot. Not for the unfit.

And I've never had any problems with Churchilll's, ever.

One of these days I'll get around to trying out the Vipers and DaFin, which some of my buddies swear by.

19. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Hey!! I travel in comfort and style. None of this hippie Viper Dafin patchouli shit.

20. JawnDoeski

JawnDoeski Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Oh Burry it's Monday and to no surprise you been on this here surf predictin website spewing your sheit all weekend

No science! It truly baffles me how you constantly trying to remain relevant on topics you know nothing aboot

Get off the internet Berry Fumunda Cudda and get outside!