abaco or eleuthra

Discussion in 'Surf Travel' started by metard, Jul 2, 2018.

1. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Most of my surfing in Puerto Rico was on the North coast.....Middles, Jobos and Wilderness. Surfed Marias and Sandy big and didn't see bottom. Did surf a chest high day at Indicators beneath the lighthouse where you could see how gnarly the reef was.

2. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Yeah it gets nasty right there at Indicators. The water clarity isn’t always clear so some days you can see it at Maria’s / Domes and other times not. Just depends on the day.

Some parts become completely exposed at low tide, especially right there at Maria’s 1st peak, don’t go left right there, baaaad idea. Sandy Beach mostly is sand bottom with a some rock / reef, but when it’s clear enough, you can see it there too.

Depends where you are on that little stretch of beach from the rock outcropping just past Tamboo all the way down to Antonio’s. There are pieces of it here and there, but it’s not like Maria’s, which is a decent size reef. There’s an area east of Parking Lots (right next to Sandy Beach) that gets super shallow and rocky too. Antonio’s has reef but I haven’t surfed that spot for some reason. Maybe next time I will.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    ChavezyChavez likes this.

3. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    i was wrong.

elbow cay it is.

La_Piedra, sisurfdogg and CuckNorris like this.
  4. CuckNorris

CuckNorris Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Good choice. I've scored it good there. Willie's cafe is a good place to eat at and there is a good break in front of the BHives.

5. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Bring lots of cash (US $$$), and frozen steaks for barter. Seriously, they have no beef there. And bring aqua socks for da feet.

CuckNorris likes this.
  6. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Enjoy dude.

It'd be cool if you came back with a couple pix and a post

7. Merx

Merx Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Would stay on Lubbers Quarters Cay, hopping the various Cayes via boat. Rustic little beachfront cottage with private dock has family potential:

https://www.vrbo.com/339618

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  8. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    Too hot, no breeze due to it being inside, but hit it up on a Sunday for the pig roast for sure!

I suggest Abaco Beach Inn it's on a ridge and near the breaks. Or if you have a boat, stay at Hopetown Harbor Lodge, it's on the ridge too (tradewinds good), and in town so you can shop and take in the quaint vibe of Hopetown. They will rent you a golf cart to get down to the south end of Elbow Cay if need be. If you get a boat you can go to Little Harbor, they have the Johnson Gallery, which is world class, and pirates caves, and Pete's Pub, which is an iconic spot, and you can also go north to Guana Cay and Nippers, and surf off the Purple House - shhhhhh)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    JayD likes this.
  9. Merx

Merx Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Needs a w/d and screen around the porch. There is one on Man-O-War with both and somewhat similar (rustic).

10. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    Man O War Cay - some of the best boat builders in the world- the Abacos were settled by British loyalists who fled the colonies after they lost the US Revolutionary War. They became the preeminent shipbuilders of the New World.

They are all one branch of one family tree that has only one branch there on Man O War. It's kinda creepy - very bucolic, all of them driving golf carts, most look like each other with eyes set a bit too close. The grounds are very well manicured. No booze allowed either. Nice place to visit for an hour or so.

11. Merx

Merx Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Regardless of which Cay, the grounds are of utmost importance to me (privacy), and probably more so than the rental house, itself; not that I typically rent (stay with friends). Regardless, I enjoy checking out the rental properties (usually thinking about how I would redecorate each one of them). Anyway, we both know it boils down to what MrsTard has in mind.

12. Merx

Merx Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2018
    And the breeze isn't blocked at that property on Lubbers. Tree growth in the photos attest to it. He says he doesn't want a resort, so why refer him two of them, or anywhere that will make him feel as if he is still in the U.S.? This here is cute and all, but I wouldn't rent it:

https://www.vrbo.com/940093

It's easy to hop the Cayes, if the rage isn't on.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  13. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    True, he's going in fall so air temps may not be an issue

14. Merx

Merx Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Look what's new. When the landscaping grows in, it should look better.

https://www.vrbo.com/1297657

15. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Ben Gravy just did some videos from Eleuthera. Didn't look like he got much swell or cooperative winds for his visit though. He surfed one of the spots by where I stayed when I was down there.

16. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Costa is your spot then

17. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
  18. NNYNJ

NNYNJ Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2017
    I like both, but I'd rather be in the Caribbean if the surf is crap than Costa.

19. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Where would you go in the Caribe? I was thinking about a trip this summer with my girl...August maybe. Catching some waves would be secondary (wink wink)!!!

20. NNYNJ

NNYNJ Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2017
    I've had great time in Barbados over the years, but that was more around surf.
    One trip that stands out was to St Kitts. Went with a few couples and it was sick... Golf was great. Caught a huge, delicious wahoo. And even got a day of really fun, big and unexpected surf.
    I enjoy blue water and mellow more than anything else.