Career / Life Advise Tread

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by DawnPatrol321, Aug 9, 2018.

1. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I have a decision to make regarding my career. I have come to a point where I'm no longer happy doing what I'm doing for a living and am starting to consider other options. I have been doing the same thing for nearly 15 years so I'm stuck in a comfort zone but i'm also stuck in a rut, professionally.

I love the fact that I am able to surf every day there are waves as a result of working from home and having an 8:30-5:30 M-F schedule. I have become spoiled the last 3 years having this setup, but there is a cost and that is i'm doing something I don't like or sometimes even hate, just so that I can do what I love every day if conditions permit.

So my struggle or challenge is going to be finding something else to do where I don't have to give up my lifestyle. It was the whole reason I moved here in the first place, so I would hate to lose that and go back to being a weekend warrior. My wife says at least I live here now and I don't have to drive 2 - 2.5hrs each way to get a surf in. She's right, but having the ability to surf Monday - Friday too is special and hard to come by.

Also, getting a new job means I have to stop smoking the herb for a while, which I do daily to treat anxiety / depression, and hyperhidrosis. It's something I can do, but not something I look forward to. So there's that.

So I have some decisions to make here, just wondering what your thoughts are. What would you do? Would you keep doing the same thing just so that the ocean or surfing is available to you 7 days a week? Or would you take a job that makes you happier than your current job but surf less? Or would you somehow figure out how to have the best of both worlds? If so, how does that work?

cepriano likes this.
  2. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2018
    DP, to find that perfect line is like buying a new bort; takes time and you have to be ready for a few misses. I’m betting a majority on here can sympathize with the whole job thing: I know I can, but I also can say your in an enviable spot for many, including myself, for having the freedom to do that one thing we all love. So it comes down to making choices and getting the most true happiness you can manage - jobs are very rarely a source of happiness - only levels of UNhappiness most times, so don’t base your quality of life around your work - it should be based around your true passion and happiness. A job is just a means to an end. Your wife loves you happy and as fulfilled as possible too, so remember that. She will support you whatever you do but I’m betting she’d be ok with you selling hotdogs f it made you happy because if your happy, she is too. Your maybe hitting that midlife hump that has you guessing and taking measure of your life so far... dude, you get to SURF whenever you want. I’d give up a lot for just that and to be able to provide a living for my family. A lot. Not being your mom here, just giving you an honest opinion with some genuine sympathy and empathy mixed in.

3. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    the grass is rarely greener on the other side. Sounds like you have a sweet deal, are you SURE you want to give that up?

SCOB3YVILLE and MrBigglesworth like this.
  4. nopantsLance

nopantsLance Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    Gotta climb out on that limb if you want the fruit
    [​IMG]

5. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Thank you for your honest feedback, there is a lot of truth to what you said. I'm bringing this up because I honestly have no idea what I want to do. I'm very bored with my job. Another challenge is I use to be the manager for the department I work in, but I had to step down and get back to doing inside sales, i.e. I sit on the computer and talk on the phone all day like I had done for almost 10 years before being promoted to manager for a couple of years.

I have a hard time with the new management and how they are running things, or should i say ruining things. I'm powerless to make any changes to the department now and am basically treated like a nobody since I'm the only person in my department with the privilege of working from home and my now supervisor is someone that use to report directly to me when I was manager, creating an odd dynamic.

I just don't feel like i'm part of the team anymore or wanted on the team and can sense that they would like to figure out a way to replace me so that they don't have anybody on the team working from home anymore. It's a constant stress inducing issue.

Lastly, sales have been on the decline lately with a lot of the challenges we are enduring as a result of failed policies by new management. With sales declining and with everything else going on I think it may be wise to make a move before they make a move on me, to avoid being caught off guard if they should decide to pull the plug on my situation.

6. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    No I'm not sure. I'm spoiled man, I really dig the freedom, but I have to think about the future and what may happen if I don't make a move.

MrBigglesworth likes this.
  7. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I hear you, I really do.

8. NICAfiend

NICAfiend Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    You sound alot like my wife. She too works from home M-Th 9-5+ and constantly considers doing something else. She hates her new school bosses (metrics oriented) and doesn't "love" what she does. She doesn't hate it either but knows there's something more of interest out there for her. I constantly tell her (and she knows) that she's got it made, and as written above, the grass is rarely greener on the other side. That saying is true unless you get very, very lucky! Unless you're going to quadruple your salary, etc... I wouldn't even consider it. Living at the beach, working from home and being able to surf whenever is much more important to me than having to love my job or money for that matter. I sacrifice quite a bit myself to be in your exact situation and to me it's totally worth it. If you do decide to make a change though I'll be happy to take that weed off your hands.

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  9. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks for chiming in, some good stuff to consider, and I definitely see where you and others are coming from. I don't want to sound ungrateful or jaded. I'll take this advise into consideration, except giving you my herb, I'll smoke with you all day long but I aint handing it over lol

NICAfiend likes this.
  10. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    I could put up with an immense amount of bullsh!t with a set up like that.

11. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Yeah, and I have been, for 3 years. It’s not all bad though, most of the day I’m left alone to handle my business, but they F with things that affect my income in a negative way and keep making it harder to be successful. I either need to learn to adapt to their F ups better or get out before it’s too late.

12. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    DP, I sorta agree with Meh but with the environment you describe with your company, and your disposition, change may be good.

I would absolutely recommend a bird in the hand before jumping ship. You can work towards a decision without stressing on it. If you feel like your current position is eminently at risk, sooner the better on the search.

The thing about sales is if your good at it, you can migrate to a different industry which can broaden your opportunities. How you prospect and who you are prospecting relative to the product you are selling is critical (i.e. selling life insurance may be tough b/c your not from there so you don't have a natural market whereas, being a Barry, a natural market and people to call on already exist).

Sounds to me like you want the change but may be afraid of it (which is natural). I would prioritize "why" you want change. More money (sales has peaks and valleys so be prepared with a little cushion in the bank)? Tired of working from home (think about the alternative...many sales jobs are going to put you on the road possibly)? Monotony (then change in general is a good thing...spice things up)?

It's tough man...I left Hawaii thinking about career and family. I often think about all the waves I have missed. But, I believe I made a better decision for the long run. So, the long run is the final thought...where do you want to be in 10,15, or 20 years? Does not sound like this current job is going to get you there. I would start looking immediately. If your job was more secure and you were relatively content with it (financially and psychologically), I would stick with Meh's perspective....

13. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Sounds like you understand where I’m coming from. I appreciate the thoughtful advice.

14. oipaul

oipaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2006
    start looking around. go on some interviews, see what's available and what perks they'll offer. don't quit or you might lose severance. otherwise put your head down and grind, eat the poop and come out the other side and outlast them. Things always change eventually...
    P.S. hurricane swell in hawaii today!

15. kookboy

kookboy Member

Jun 25, 2015
    I think you've gotta lock down what your goals are. Do you want to be influencing decisions in your department? Do you want to be pulling in more dough? Or, do you just want to be doing what you're doing with a little more face-to-face interaction with the rest of the team?

I'm also in a sales role that requires a bunch of phone+email+in-person meeting time, but I can surf whenever I want (beach is one hour away). My goals are to get as much time in the ocean and on the mountains as possible.

16. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Can't hurt to look right? It'll feel odd going on an interview, haven't done one of those in a while lol

17. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    My goal is the same as yours (as much time in the ocean as possible) but I want the 8hrs per day I spend working to be more enjoyable, if that is possible. If I find something I can be stoked about I may jump on it, but till then I'm going to keep my head down and keep pushing forward.

18. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    You guys are great btw, quick to help a brother out, I appreciate it!

19. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Hey Micah, do you have any employment opportunities? :D

20. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    There's been good advice so far but you may also want to consider another line of thought. You may not need to settle, the grass could be greener in another pasture, why not take the chance and try to have it all - job you love, flexability to surf etc. Sometimes taking a chance can be good. With that being said there are obviously trade offs. I rarely surf on weekdays (family and work) but i love my job and attending sons sports activities so it us worth it for me. I also have come to treasure my surfs. I went from surfing practically daily but i was always a wave snob - not that many sessions were enjoyable. Now, i have a good time surfing even if the waves suck. The question is whats better? More sessions or higher satisfaction percentage? Do i have regrets? All the time but such is life. Your gonna have regrets no matter what you do.

Panhandler and MrBigglesworth like this.