Major Hurricane Florence

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Betty, Aug 29, 2018.

1. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Well said!

MrBigglesworth likes this.
  2. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    This thing is projected to hang around for a couple of days instead of just buzzing through.

Praying for all our friends in the mid-atlantic, especially the OBX and Carolinas.

3. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Godspeed to you all in harm's way. Board up, get out, and be safe. Prayers...

JayD and MrBigglesworth like this.
  4. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    The two most recent updates from Frankie. For best effect, turn your speaker volume to 11 and hit play simultaneously. You can thank me later.

sisurfdogg and MrBigglesworth like this.
  5. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Seriously though, everybody in Florence's path please stay safe. You can replace your stuff but not yourself. Exactly a year ago today Irma was sliding by us a hundred miles away. We got real lucky on that one. Unfortunately it looks like somebody is gonna get hit hard with Flo.

nopantsLance and MrBigglesworth like this.
  6. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    VA gov has just ordered mandatory evacuations of high risk coastal areas (Zone A), effective 8 AM tomorrow. We live in Zone B; my job at Dam Neck is in Zone A.
    Brother lives in Hampton near Langley AFB, also in Zone A.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  7. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    It is going to stall until the 2nd high builds ...where it stalls is the question offshore or inland....
    There’s also some scenarios that have it going higher north than anticipated. The remnants of Gordon have punched a hole in the Atlantic high it’s already eroding this should allow flo to move more nw and gain some latitude (better for chucktown and Myrtle worse for upper nc va etc)either way it’s gonna be bad for someone when the new high builds it will seal off any escape route and it’ll meander stall dumping wind and rain for some time....

8. nalu222

nalu222 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    So, I spoke with Dennis Quaid today, he said it would hit the day after tomorrow. I am leaving. They just issued mandatory evacuations for CB/KB effective 9/12 by 8pm.

UnfurleD and nopantsLance like this.
  9. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Totally agree with your premise. But it has just barely trended WNW. It still has a hump (on lower end of High) to surpass. To your point, it will steer it somewhere to the coast...Wilmington is looking to be the bulls eye...maybe north of there. I guess we will know better tomorrow.

10. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Yes I think that nudge will be gone or weaker tomm/overnight 11 pm advisory nhc shifted path slightly more east/north...
    Watch the clouds streaming from Florida north there’s weakness north ahead of the storm it should feel it and follow hopefully
    http://www.intellicast.com/Storm/Hurricane/AtlanticSatellite.aspx?animate=true

nopantsLance likes this.
  11. NNYNJ

NNYNJ Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2017
    good luck to everyone. Hope you all make it though unscathed

MrBigglesworth and nopantsLance like this.
  12. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    True. The high pressure @ mid Atlantic and the clouds pushing from south are the nuances that will steer it. Myrtle beach to Cape Hatteras??? The stalling feature of storm is concerning and keeps this thing on a precarious path.

nopantsLance likes this.
  13. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    What I would give to be in Florida this week!

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  14. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    yea that stalling isn't good for anyone whenever it occurs...I just don't see myrtle beach all the models are clustering above the sc/nc border this could change I think depending on how quickly the next high builds in today will be important...
    not to downplay anything but possibly the biggest wave days in recent s c history and no one but residents have beach access

15. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
  16. Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor

Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Florence is a natural Nuke. Thank god the folks down there have time to pack and get the heck out. People were on the beach when the storm surge hit during the 38 New England Hurricane.

17. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    trop tiddle bitties has that thing stalling n looping down to myr beach, so they should be in bad shape. I-95 should be awesome. kept folly beach as my residence on my license jsut for cane season, def gonna cover up my surfboard with construction material. washout right now is empty n looking good, i'm stoked

Notaseal likes this.
  18. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    To the dudes in the Carolinas, I wish you the best. Stay safe and try to stay sane without power. Take it from us Floridians, it sucks but you will survive!

*side note: waxing up the big boy board tonight because Thursday/Friday gonna be fire down here!!!

19. Cwhite

Cwhite Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
  20. Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor

Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    If Yankee were still around, he'd be telling us all to head down there on Tuesday and start buying up property at Folley Beach.