Major Hurricane Florence

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Betty, Aug 29, 2018.

1. NNYNJ

NNYNJ Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2017
    ^^^ For reals... If you can't just wish everyone well (without political BS) then just
    Storm surge from Sandy was approx 9'

MrBigglesworth, nopantsLance and JayD like this.
  2. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I was just looking at a map that showed about 9'. I wonder how the coastal features down south will handle. They call it the low country for a reason. Seems like with the flat ocean bottom, once it surges past the shoals, it will just steam roll. I hope not...hopefully it diminishes soon, but it has been cranking as a Cat 4 so I imagine the surge is going to be legit.

3. NNYNJ

NNYNJ Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Yeah man. Any low areas on the water are going to be in serious trouble... My parents had 5 feet of water in their house. It was nuts. When the tide came up and the water came over the dock it just never stopped. It got waist deep and we decided it was time to go. Which ended up being way too late and very difficult.
    And the other thing to think about with this storm is the massive amount of rain they're predicting. 30"+ of rain on top of the surge will be heavy.
    Anyone down their that is on the fence about staying of going, my advice is to get out of there. You will not be able to stop anything from happening and will only regret staying if the ish hits the fan. Best case is your place is ok and you're pleasantly suprised when you return.

Hope you and your family are safe and the same for everyone else

4. Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor

Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    There have to be a few of those outer banks islands where the high mark is a few feet above sea level. Really praying this thing makes a turn nobody is predicting and stays to sea because a few days of 100+ winds and a 10 foot storm surge is not going to be pretty.

nopantsLance and Yankkee like this.
  5. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Same boat. Don't get me wrong, i ws happy to get wet yesterday. But i got friends and family down there. My uncle is in OBX. Really bad flood area. Swell kinda has a sour vibe to it

6. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    GA declared state of emergency but yet our SC guv backed off the southern counties from evacuating...i know i'm making cane drinks tomorrow, looking like cat 4 strike so that's 2 oz light n 2 oz dark rum. gonna be interesting to surf tomorrow morning, they say 3' overhead but i'm guessing it'll be shoulder hi n maybe a dozen ppl out there

nopantsLance and Notaseal like this.
  7. NICAfiend

NICAfiend Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    I live behind quite possibly the best and most vegetated sand dune on Topsail Island but as a look out the window now it's almost dead low tide and the water line is probably only 40 yards from the house. I can't even begin to imagine what it's going to look like at high tide tomorrow night. We're on stilts but have a first floor bathroom and entrance that I'm totally expecting to flood. I live in a small set of three homes that are staggered and face SSE or S and not directly SE as the beach sits and we're the middle home. The wind direction is hopefully going to be good for us (assuming it doesn't completely blow the house down) as the home to our left sits out further and completely blocks us from NE wind and E winds. So, on a cold but sunny fall day that's like 50 degrees out with a stiff NE wind, sitting on our back deck feels like it's 75 degrees out. This is the only time I've ever been overjoyed about being the middle unit but even with this protection I'm scared crapless!! But to be honest I'm more worried about the area I call home then my home itself. I love this beach and everything it's given me. I have a deep spiritual relationship with this land and I don't want to see it destroyed. I most certainly don't want to lose everything I own but you can always replace stuff. We're hanging out until tomorrow morning so I can see it with my own two eyes but heading way south until everything blows over. Good luck to all you guys and stay safe!

8. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Take care of you and yours, NICA. Safety first.

MrBigglesworth likes this.
  9. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    It now looks like my son in his first week of Army Basic Training at Ft Jackson in mid-northern SC will get hit worse than us in VB. Seems that VB dodged the bullet this time.

10. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Best of luck to him.

DosXX likes this.
  11. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, fingers crossed your home is still standing and the area around isn’t under water when it’s all said and done.

12. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Hope all goes well for him Dos.

DosXX likes this.
  13. nopantsLance

nopantsLance Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    Frying Pan Ocean Cam

Notaseal likes this.
  14. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Overhead waves this morning, glassy , just south of Sebastian inlet.

sisurfdogg and Notaseal like this.
  15. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Wabasso?

16. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
  17. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Yup! The cool thing about wabasso beach is that I can park 34 steps from the boardwalk and sit on the top of the stairs, so I get a good view of the dudes withOut needing a helper. The rides though are and were short.

Loved this one dude who scored a short barrel— he was so stoked, I was the only one watching and there was only one other dude in the water. So he was pumping his fist and I returned the fist pump, and he was beside himself with glee! He had skills for sure. I guess it’s a poor mans berak: close if you don’t have a car, no entry fee. Often deserted since its not s great break.

My friend is at FPI and it is packed and overrun by overheated South florida dudes. It’s a shame. The wave looks great on the cam though.

You?

Wavestrom, nopantsLance and Notaseal like this.
  18. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    That’s cool. I was studying most of the morning and now headed to the office for some training. Glad you got a good view of that barrel!

19. Sir_Ballyhoo

Sir_Ballyhoo Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Good luck to you NICA. Just remember that one of the reasons why the area you live is so beautiful is because of giant storms in the past that have shaped the landscape. What you are about to encounter has happened numerous times before. Enjoy the show!

NICAfiend, Betty, DosXX and 2 others like this.
  20. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Didn’t I see him around recently?
    Maybe brain cramps

Betty likes this.