Anyone ride firewires?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by BassMon2, Oct 2, 2018.

1. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Alright so i typed out a whole long winded post planning on asking opinions. While typing i answered my own questions. So i held backspace for about 7 minutes.

New more specific question though. Anyone familiar with firewire tech? Specifically the LFT stuff. Im 97% sure im going to get a firewire that's only available in LFT. Going non local custom is not my thing, but i have reasons.

Never was a fan of ANY firewire shapes so never even looked at them. Curious about the LFT durability and feel in comparison with typical PU/epoxy.

2. Towelie

Towelie Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    You know you can just select all (ctrl a) and backspace. Saved you so much future time. Yw

headhigh likes this.

3. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    Ahhhh but i don't own a computer. I had to hold backspace on the phone. Thanks anyway though.

headhigh likes this.
  4. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Have owned a few and still have a couple. I have a Tomo Vader in LFT and it is my fav in the small stuff.

As far as LFT goes, it is the lightest construction style FW uses. The boards are super light and very responsive; however, the down side is the decks have a thin deck skin so pressure dents occur easily. Also, the glassing on the rails isn't the best some spider fractures in the rails are common. At least this has been my experience. Never been a fan of the FST but really like the one board I have in timbertek.

Can I ask why you are limited to just LFT?

5. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    Limited because it only comes in LFT. So when Slater and tomo did their little colab is when i first saw it. The bottom design and double bat tail on the sci-fi. Super intrigued by it but wasn't really drawn to the board as a whole. Just saw the cymatic. Similar bottom and tail but rest of the board intrigues me as well. From what I'm seeing it would have a use within my quiver. It's essentially exactly what i was looking for the past year even though i didn't know what i was looking for. But only available in LFT.

Mention all that because you said you had a vader, which seems pretty similar to the cymatic but for smaller less performance oriented surfing. If you could elaborate on your thoughts of the modern planning hull it'd be appreciated.

You mention dents. That's ok with me, but does the skin crack within the dents? That'd be a problem. Can you repair the rails like a normal epoxy?

Thanks man, appreciate the input. Honestly didn't think anyone ride FW around here. Kinda just took a stab in the dark

6. SCOB3YVILLE

SCOB3YVILLE Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I see a lot of yellow fire wires on CL. Seems like they don’t last... never owned or ridden one

Kanman likes this.
  7. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I'm trying to lineup from a local surf shop a demo for a Tomo Evo or something similar. The bottoms intrigue me too, but they may be too squirrly on takeoff unless clean and peaky. I may have that covered already with my NA Pete Dooley round tail round nose fat boy.

Kyle, does your Vader slide alot if it's choppy or over chest high? Is it corky on rail?

8. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    Glad you brought this up. Im going to give you the condensed version of my original deleted post. Show you where my head's at, plus i think it may open up a cool discussion on the evolution/ progression/ thought process behind our quivers. I love talking boards.

So 5+ years ago i rode everything except traditional SBs. Bonzer, SB single fin, yada yada. Loved them and loved the diffrent feelings. One thing though ws that i was lacking performance in my boards, which was somthing i wanted. Revamped my quiver. Went local custom and essentially designed exactly what i wanted. After a couple customs my SB now is a 28L 5'8 pretty similar to a hypto krypto in shape and dims. Fullish nose, full rails, pretty damn low rocker throughout. 5 finn but hate it as a quad, ride it as a thruster. Love the thing. Traditional enough to surf as aggressive as my abilities allow while still being suited for the EC. My surfing has progressed on it and i originally wanted to make a few tweaks. Foil the rails, add some rocker, and switch to epoxy. Possibly pull in the nose some. Id ride the new version in those perfect waist- shoulder high days where i want all the performance i can get while saving the original for the slower/fatter/windier days. Solid plan.

After seeing the cymatic my thoughts changed. The design elements... the bottom, tail, and modern planning hull package is so interesting to me. Kind of go back to my roots of riding those non traditional shapes. Except the cymatic has those design elements i wanted unlike where i was 5+ years ago. Knifey rails, continuous rocker, short.

That's where my debate in my head started. Thing is iv been so comfortable with my boards since revamping my quiver. Which was fun, and it's great that i got my boards dialed in. But i feel like with a cymatic id be stepping outside my comfort zone. Challenge myself a bit. Experience somthing new. Plus learning to dial the board back some with diffrent fins. Sounds like it can be difficult to ride with all that speed and looseness. To me that sounds like fun though. Id probably ride it as a quad first, again stepping away from my comfort zone.

But yeah my point was i don't expect it to be a utility knife of a board. One trick pony. Glassy fun sized waves. Could go horribly wrong, could be too much, too out of control.... but i can't demo one around here so im just going for it. If i hate it I'll sell it and use what i can recoup for my original tweaked version of my SB now

sisurfdogg likes this.
  9. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Never owned one but I have repaired a few. This is my experience:

The outer skin will crack with a deep enough dent. A misplaced heel or elbow can do this pretty quickly.

The factory recommends to actually use epoxy putty, the same stuff the use for autobody repair. Think Bondo, but epoxy. Then paint to match over the putty. Because of the sandwich construction and all the different materials they use you are kind of limited as to how you can repair.

In my opinion LFT are throw away surfboards. Not really meant to be repaired. Same with super lightweight poly boards. Use them up and move on.

sisurfdogg likes this.
  10. RPC3

RPC3 Member

Nov 30, 2013
    I had an LFT Evo and had some fun sessions on it, but the board was falling apart faster than any board I'd ever owned before. Splits in the rails from unknown bumps, spiderwebbing all over the place including near the fin boxes, the rails felt soft when grabbing to duck dive, etc. Ended up selling it and went back to custom poly's for the time being. Stronger and I feel more confident in doing minor repairs myself if needed.

I also have an FST board that has held up much better, its a bit more high performance so it doesn't get a ton of use but it just feels like the glass is harder/board is more dense, and for a board that thin I think those are good qualities. I'd buy another FST board but I wouldn't touch LFT unless money wasn't an issue.

sisurfdogg likes this.
  11. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    How old are these LFT boards you guys had bad experiences with? Not how long did you have the board, but how long ago did you buy the board?

I ask because while doing my research and looking at the firewire forum iv found that alot of people seemed to have bad luck with LFT. But apparently they fine tuned it (without making it public) because seems like people are having much better experiences with LFT more recently. For instance i saw a post from a guy who said he swore off LFT like RPC3.... only to get a new one for whatever reason and said it felt alot better. Quite a few others agreed.

If these are older ones you guys are taking about i might do some more digging and deciding. But if they are new eff that im not paying big name shaper price for a board that'll fall apart

12. Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor

Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Hey Towlie. Kind of surprised you care. Need to buddy up?

13. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Yeah the skin does crack pretty easily. I agree with HH to an extent. LFT boards have a very light glassing and the rails aren't really reinforced like FST or TT so they dent very easily. The rails are the worst to me. I had a Vanguard before the Vader and I was constantly repairing little spider fractures in the rail. LFT is def more a small wave construction as even some heavy water can dent them.

You might be right about the improvement in the LFT as I bought my Vanguard when they first came out in 2013 and by the end of 2014 it was beat to shit. I bought the Vader in 2015 (not sure if they made the changes by then) but it has held up much better. Attached a pic to show the current condition after 3 years of moderate use (it's been on a few trips).
    IMG_3409.jpg

I love MPH boards Bass, but that is personal preference. Since I usually surf smaller (>4ft) in SFL I like getting more planing speed with less effort. But there is always a trade off as you will get more speed due to less drag but that lack of drag will also take some time to get used to doing turns/cut backs. Once you dial it in though, you might really like it. I did!

I notice when I get on my front foot it can slide in some chop, but nothing crazy. Now, when to start getting to HH and over, it can get very loose. But I do ride a 5'4 so that could have something to do with it too. The diamond pin tail n the Vader helps in HH waves but when it gets that big I usually bring out something else. Vader is perfect in 3-5ft.

sisurfdogg likes this.
  14. Towelie

Nov 27, 2014
    Are you asking to be my buddy? #nohomo ok?

15. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    Thanks man, your input is very much appreciated. As far as MPH, it sounds like it could be really fun once you get past that learning curve. Only one way to find out!

That vader looks like it's in pretty damn good condition. Going to do some more research on the LFT construction tonight. Dig around the firewire forum. That's really the only thing holding me back at this point.

16. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Well I must admit, I do baby the hell out of that Vader after what I went thru with the Vanguard. It stays in the A/C in a bag if it isn't in the water and I don't use it nearly as much as I used my Vanguard. I'm sure that has helped a lot with its longevity. Good luck man! If you do go with the Cymatic, please post your thoughts after a few sessions, I have been eyeing on of those up for awhile, just need to sell some boards first to appease the wifey (have a 5'6 Baked Potato in TT for sale if anyone is interested, near perfect condition).

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  17. Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor

Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Nah me neither - FWIW I love tit-tays. "buddy up" is a term used by old guys like me who don't have any sweetleaf and want to grab some from a buddy. That being said, I would be happy to be friends. Wait, aren't we all friends here already, like in a 'I dont really know you' kind of way?

18. Towelie

Nov 27, 2014
    Yuge diff between “I don’t really..” and “I REALLY don’t know you”. It’s like.. you think you know someone and then WOW I really don’t.. meanwhile I don’t really ... really doesn’t carry the same element of surprise.
    That being said you’re right, this one and more posts should be about tit-yays. I don’t understand why they aren’t.
    Also I accept your invite to be the bestest of friends forever. That’s nice.

19. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
  20. SCOB3YVILLE

SCOB3YVILLE Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Get a room ya homos. Haha