Wetsuite Talk

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Dune, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Dune

Dune Well-Known Member

May 7, 2013
    Its that time of year and I guess I’ve had a few too many beers this summer because my suite is too dang tight now. Anyone know online sites that sell wetsuites at lower than average prices? I just need a new 3/2 and im not trying to blow $400 to use for a few more weeks. Thanks.

2. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2018
    I just paid $159 for a ripcurl 3/2 sealed this past week. If you want, look around and if you can’t find one, I’ll get your size at the shop and we can work out getting it to you.

Dune likes this.

3. MrBigglesworth

Jun 29, 2018
    And it’s a joke because I bought a 3/2 with short sleeve to make the gap between summer shortie and trunk/rash guard water and when it gets cold - I’d wear my 3/2 with no boots or gloves til end of November usually... this brand new 3/2 is now not enough and the 4/3 is it.

Dune likes this.
  4. Dune

Dune Well-Known Member

May 7, 2013
  5. Dune

Dune Well-Known Member

May 7, 2013
    Okay I couldn't resist. Bought it and got next day shipping (hopefully true next day) need it in time for Oscar swell.

6. LongIslandBro

LongIslandBro Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2017
    3/2 with no boots in MASS/RI till end of November?
    My hats off to you biggie.
    I’m gunna be rocking the 4/3 real soon and the water just dipped below 60. I’ll throw in the booties when water hits 55 in about two to three weeks.

7. MrBigglesworth

Jun 29, 2018
    Well, I will say this Brother, it’s not this cold usually until this time next month - or at least it feels that way to me now lol I think Sunday was a lot to do with the wind, but that water had the beginnings of ice cream headache when I got hit first.
    I’ve always done well in cold with hands and feet and as long as I’m paddling around my core stays pretty warm. Conversely, heat kicks my a$$ hard if I’m not careful - hydrating and all.
    I will say it’s no fun walking back after November sesh late in the afternoon on the small rocks and pebbles though...

Dune likes this.
  8. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  9. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I just bought a new 5/4 and 7 mil boots. 500 for suit and another 100 for booties. Luckily i got money taken off plus i had gift cards for the shop that i got for my birthday. Only ended up paying 200 somthing. Still though, 600 for a suit and boots is crazy.

MrBigglesworth and Dune like this.
  10. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    i bought stuff off of steep and cheap with no issues.

Mr.Belmar and Dune like this.
  11. NJsurfer30

NJsurfer30 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2016
    I've gotten a 3/2 and a 4/3 from need essentials, both were under $200, and I'm pretty happy with both. 4/3 is just about a year old at this point and still working nicely... pretty sure I even used it a handful of times during last winter on warmer days without issue. 3/2 I only got this past summer but it's been goode to me so far and the first sub-$200 3/2 I've owned that hasn't started falling apart within a month or two.

Need to get a new 5/4 for this winter and would consider theirs if it came in XXL but it doesn't.

12. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Dune likes this.
  13. mattinvb

Sep 9, 2014
    any of yall tried vissla suites yet? The price is right but I don't know about durability & fit.

14. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Matt is right. Good site, I've ordered a lot of stuff from them. That Xcel is brand new just not the new style, who cares. That's a good deal!

15. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    I really like my vissla products so far. I got their 7 seas 5/4/3 last year and it’s been perfect. Super comfy and solid fit. It’s not stiff like some other suits I’ve had. For the price, the tech in the suit really can’t be beat. I think I got mine for less than 250 last year. I forget where, but they have frequent sales on those suits.

mattinvb and MrBigglesworth like this.
  16. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Just got a Rip Curl Flash Bomb zip free. Haven't had it in the water yet, but trying it on, I really like it so far. Reg price - $369.95 and I got 20% off = $296.00. I am happy with that

17. mattinvb

Sep 9, 2014
    Yeah, I've been wearing flash bombs for all my suites the last few years (I became a fan when I realized my 5/4 flash bomb was more flexible than my patagucci 4/3). My 5/4 is starting to leak though, and I'm curious as to how some of the newer and more budget friendly brands are stacking up

Zeroevol likes this.
  18. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I have a little bit older Flash Bomb (E4) that is just fine, but I really wanted to try a zip free. There is definitely a noticeable difference between the E4 and the E5 in weight and stretch. I can't wait to get it in the water and see if the warmth is there.

19. MrBigglesworth

Jun 29, 2018
    My new 3/2 Rip curl is a flash bomb with that E-5 and rear zipper with the sealed cuffs. Seemed to work great but the air and water were too cold to be a fair test. I will say it dries super quick and was really flexible.

Zeroevol likes this.
  20. Braap

Braap Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Laugh at me but i got a 4/3 e5 flash bomb off ebay for under 220 with shipping from a korean or vietnamese seller. Maybe a week ago ill try to find the listing