Ben Gravy...

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Dune, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Sir_Ballyhoo

Sir_Ballyhoo Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    This is why the children of Tech Giants in Silicon Valley are sent to private schools with Zero technologies in the classroom. Just books, toys, playing outside and using that little thing called an Imagination.

Its crazy to me that school systems get better rankings with the more technology they incorporate into their classrooms...twilight zone stuff.

2. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Word! I may technically be a "millennial" but im on the beginning end of it. When i was a kid i didn't have computers and cell phones and all that jazz. I lived on a block with about 15 kids. We'd go outside, meet in the street, and get somthing going. By the time i hit high school i realized i didn't see kids outside anymore.

Hate social media (except this place. But honestly this is just a one community. Not social media), don't own a computer, love when i can turn my phone off and just throw it in a drawer til Monday. It's all crazyness and unhealthy on so many diffrent levels

MrBigglesworth likes this.

3. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    O Barry LOL

Barry Cuda and MrBigglesworth like this.
  4. foamieswithmyhomies

foamieswithmyhomies Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2014
    only in today's world can someone who films their daily routine for years on end be considered "modest"

5. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I don't give a shit what a guy does for a living. Everybody's gotta make a buck. He do it his way. Beats slinging meth I suppose. His brother Hob's channel is funny. He smokes bongs on it. He lives right near the house I own in PA. Ben's a good kid. Not a Richard Head in the water. Positive vibe.

Manik, La_Piedra and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  6. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    This is where i think things get hazy. It's not so black and white. Do i care how someone makes a buck? No. I'll judge for sure, but i don't care. But does YouTube offer 401k? Full insurance? I don't think so. It's all new this vlogging thing. What happens in 10, 20, 30 years? Maybe it works out. Maybe it don't. Either way i don't think it's smart in the long run.

Did you guys know there are people who just vlog? Like i mean not about anything. It's literally just them doing normal ass shit talking to a camera. Like a reality tv show. It's freaking weird man.

7. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    Also i used to work with a guy..... dropped out of college and quit his job. To have a video game YouTube channel. He plays video games and records it and posts it. And gets paid.

8. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    .... and all these people are probably the same people that are jumping up and down wanting free health insurance for everyone and so on....

... barry would enlighten us and tell us that the health care isint actually free, but we- the people who work hard and pay taxes- are the ones who will pay for the free health care of 'the' others

9. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    It's not about "hating" lol, which btw is the most tired and overused vernacular in our ghetto lexicon.

He seems like a nice guy with a lot of charisma and a damn good surfer to boot. Just seems pretty vain and shallow (maybe even a bit greedy) to throw yourself out there on the internet, like a Kardashian or the LeVar Ball family. Not much difference really.

And internet stardom will prove to be painfully fleeting to most. It's like Reality TV in Real Time on Steroids. What happens when your 15 minutes is up? Your face time dries up too, and along with it, the money.

I would normally surmise that the person would then have to go out in the real world and get a real job.

Problem is, I don't believe the term "real job" means the same thing anymore.

10. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    Don't be a haterrre, be a congratulatorre!

11. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
  12. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    I read somewhere that some of them make about $1 per 100 views or something like that. Which is a nice chunk of $ if they get a million views and they come up with 1-2 videos a week. How sustainable it is? I have no clue. I think the smart ones capitalize on their 15 minutes of fame, make as much money as they can, invest it, and then move on. Hell, "Barstoolsports" has their own office with employees.

Hopefully the good-hearted guys like Ben Gravy can do the same.

13. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    Remember "Bumfights"? Free beer and swag to go out back and duke it out with the homeless.

headhigh likes this.
  14. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013

MrBigglesworth and smitty517 like this.
  15. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Next time on a job hunt i'm gonna put down that for 6 months I had 10k followers on youtube as my previous employer and see what happens

MrBigglesworth and La_Piedra like this.
  16. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    I just watched the turkey day vid, I guess what bothers me is Gravy complaining while his bro, who doesn't get the views and works a reg job, is laid up. It did come off as entitled.
    I'm sure he's regretting posting that.

17. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I find that... most of the time... what people do for fun is way more interesting and insightful about a person than what they do for a living. Because what people do for fun is always a choice... what they do for work isn't necessarily a choice, it might just be what they're stuck with. A job's a job.

I genuinely care about what I do for a living, and don't hate my job... in fact it's very satisfying in a lot of ways. But it's not fun. I keep those two worlds separated. Ben couldn't... he's trying to make his fun his job, which is possible for only a very, very few gifted people. Most professional athletes make fun their job... but it either doesn't last their whole lives, and then the get other jobs... or they begin to hate what they once loved.

18. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    Unless you are a professional golfer on the senior tour, or a golf pro lol those guys can get paid big bucks until they are ancient if they can give lessons. I don't see any golf vlogs though of some hack going course to course in foul weather and harassing the wildlife and such. Getting hammered. Flipping carts. Hey I may have an idea for a vlog! I'll hit up some ghetto menswear company for free shwag so I can dress like a pimp.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  19. Special Whale Glue

Special Whale Glue Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Ben is no more, or less human than the rest of us. Getting all frothed up over any human, or gauging someones worth based off of a social media following is an empty pursuit. Our focus is better spent on being a better version of ourselves than yesterday.

I was working on a house in Holmdel, in September, and I noticed a number of school buses in and out of the neighborhood. The weather was beautiful. Over the course of a week, I didn't see one kid outside playing. Not one. No football, no wiffle ball, no bmx, no playful screams, nothing. Is that because of social media and gaming? Yikes.

La_Piedra and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  20. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018
    That will fit you perfectly!!!!