Career / Life Advise Tread

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by DawnPatrol321, Aug 9, 2018.

1. curl

curl Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    DP , as one who has made a living in the financial arena, the sup health ins has its issues .

2. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    What does this mean?

3. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Well, a lot has changed in a short period of time. I ended up resigning from the Life Insurance business the same day that I lost my dog, I just didn’t feel like talking about it.

I had been talking with a company that is similar to my previous employer but much smaller in size. I pitched them on bringing me on as a remote sales rep and they bought into the idea and sent me an offer letter today.

It’s a great opportunity to be a big fish in a small pond. They literally have no sales team so I will be pioneering this endeavor with my prior experience of nearly 15 years with a competitor they look up to.

I will be helping them grow and develop into the company they are capable of being. This is more in line with my skill set and I can go back to working a normal 9-5 schedule from home.

The income is more reliable, the hours are much better, which makes my wife happy, and allows me to surf more. I cannot be more happy!

Life insurance is a good business, but it’s not going to provide the freedom that I will have doing this. I thought it would, but I quickly learned that it’s a big time drain.

Time is more valuable than money. I have a chance to have both with this company as long as I produce. With my prior experience, I have zero doubts that I will make this my career for years to come.

4. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Agreed. Work/income are part of life. Then there's everything else. Life is really short. Mine has become 3 month increments. The next scans are always around the corner. I am 55. But until my hips went at 48 i figured it'd last forever. Then at 50 Sarcoma. Three times since. Leg, lung liver. Surf it up. I can only surf when i can. You never know when it becomes difficult or gets sidetracked. I have made 4 comebacks in 7 years, and right now i want to make a 5th comeback and start surfing again. I never sacrifice living life because of a job. And i have the best job there is for me, but, i'd rather be surfing! hope it does work out, dp, and i may just join you down cfla way in a couple years. I hope. I ain't dead yet.

Barry Cuda, DosXX, desandan and 4 others like this.
  5. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2018
    I hate you

Maybe some of that will rub off...

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  6. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Keep up the good fight and stay healthy my friend. Maybe warm FL water is just what the doctor ordered?

MrBigglesworth likes this.
  7. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I love you too! :D

8. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    JayD you were right bro. The more I examined the situation I realized that my time in the water would be limited. I noticed that the director, the guy who hired me, he himself was still going out into the field after 19 years, barely spending time with his wife and children. He only gave them a few hours a week of his time because he was always working. I figured if after 19 years he didn't figure out a way to balance that out, how would I end up doing it? Thanks for giving me something to think about. I was high on the gig to begin with but that faded the more I paid attention and got familiar with the situation.

9. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Glad it worked out for you. Going through change in career and life typically makes you a better person for it. One thing is certain, you can gauge success by how happy you are...I firmly believe this. Good luck with new gig.

MrBigglesworth and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  10. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks brother!

11. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Good for you man.

I hate to say it, but it's true. I had a feeling you were "high" on the gig at first. Obviously i didn't know if it would work or not for you. I just knew the honeymoon phase would wear off. Didn't want to be a downer though. The reason im bringing this up? You realized what the reality of the situation was quickly and made the moves necessary. That's a good thing. That's awesome actually. To much time and you could of ended up feeling "stuck". So i commend you sir! Good job!

MrBigglesworth and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  12. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Yeah man, 100%!

13. NJsurfer30

NJsurfer30 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Congrats on the positive developments. Sounds like a great situation.

14. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks, it definitely is.

NJsurfer30 likes this.
  15. NJsurfer30

Dec 28, 2016
    Good chance some life/career changes are coming for me in the near future as well. Will know for sure early next week but it appears likely I'll be moving to Boston in a few months. A job opportunity for my wife being the driving factor, but I have two offers on the table up there as well now. Which I am excited about. Both are probably a slight step back in my career progression on paper, but only a little bit, and the salary is going to take only a negligible hit. And I've been absolutely miserable in my current job, largely due to environmental factors, so probably not the worst thing.

The surfing situation will not be as ideal as now, but it's not the end of the world either. Done plenty of research (may be reaching out to some of our NE forumme members to conduct more... not regarding specific spots, more general regional logistics) and I think I can set up all the logistics such that I can still get wet most days there are waves (even work days). And as a longboarder, I'm definitely salivating over some of the New England point setups (proximity to VT mountains doesn't suck either).

It's a pretty exciting work opportunity for my wife, and given that 1) she significantly outearns me, 2) she cares about her career and legitimately enjoys working about 1000x more than me, 3) I work for the Government, so can pretty much move anywhere and get a similar job to my current one, and 4) I've already told her don't even bother taking interviews anywhere that's not within 30-60 minutes of surfable waves because I won't move there, I don't think it would be very reasonable for me to veto it (especially when we both absolutely hate our current jobs and have no realistic local alternatives on the horizon right now).

My username is probably going to cause confusion in the Who Here Has Been Surfing Lately thread going forward.

16. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Good luck with the job opportunities and the potential move. If you do end up in Boston, just change your screen and to MAsurfer30 lol

NJsurfer30 likes this.
  17. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I'll be making moves to soon. As discussed earlier in this thread, i want to start my own thing. But unfortunately that's not the move yet. Bunch of issues with my current company. Im at a breaking point. In my field experience is everything. And at the end of this year, one month, I'll have the experience to get a much better job. Not sure how it will effect the surfing. But it can't get worse! I got to get into a better situation before i can even start making the moves needed to start my own thing.

18. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2018
    There are plenty of us here, when the time comes, reconne the area and ask

NJsurfer30 and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  19. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Follow your gut instincts, only you know what’s right for you. Life is too short to be unhappy 8-12hrs of every day.

sigmund and MrBigglesworth like this.
  20. NJsurfer30

Dec 28, 2016
    Will do. Just curious, where do you live? I know roughly where you surf based on your postes, and assume you reside in MA, but have wondered what part (this possibility has been in the works for months, during which time I've paid extra attention to all your surfing-related postes).