Aggravated surf leash Assault! Lol

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by desandan, Dec 6, 2018.

1. desandan

desandan Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    https://www.theinertia.com/surf/leash-pull-venice-localism-california-surfing-aggressive/

I don't know where I stand with this. I surf to escape life's stressors but over the years I have witnessed many unnecessarily angry people in the water. I get there are times its warranted.

It sounds like this guy is just a dick and his business is going to hurt because of this. But maybe she was being a wave hog.

Unless there is someone who is absolutely not getting the etiquette or putting people in danger, I can let a snaked wave go. It just one of those things that happen and it will get me pissed for a moment and then another wave comes and all is forgotten. If it happens again I will probably kick my board out at the person as a check and make it clear that shit isnt cool. I have been on the other end where I just did not see someone down the line or whatever but I will always let the person know "my bad."

2. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    They are both kooks. Not worthy of an article. They should both quit surfing and start a caravan of migrants and head to Honduras for asylum.

3. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Wow just read the article.

I love how they caught this d-baggery from 2 different angles. California, man. Crazy s*** out there when you have 2 people filming the same little garbage wave.

Every time I have surfed in Cali the people in the lineup have been super cool. That could also be because I'm overflowing with stoke when I get to surf in the Pacific ha.

Just a little courtesy goes such a long way. Paddle around the pack rather than through it. Let an entire set go by without even looking at it (well make it look like you aren't looking at it). Share. It's easy.

Back to the article tho... I agree with DP. Not article worthy at all. This s*** is stupid.

Shame about the guy's business, but when you are a member of the local economy, you gotta take that into consideration at all times whether on the clock or not. Now that this has gone viral (sort of) he's done for.

MrBigglesworth likes this.
  4. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I am sure this will jump on board the racism train, because that what society does now a days for EVERYTHING!!!! Either way, whatever prompted this guy to paddle out and sit on top of the ladies and or grab her leash, when she clearly had priority, who knows, but is acting like a real douche canoe! Get over yourself dude! I love when I see some ladies in the lineup, especially if they are out there rippin it up!

5. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    damn, so this is considered assault nowadays. on a 2 ft wave. the danger. pre-meditated assault. 3rd degree. cut his credit cards. No problem with me for calling him out and hurting his business. filing a police report tho? i bet they'll try to sue him being that it's in Cali

La_Piedra likes this.
  6. StuckontheGulf

StuckontheGulf Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    There I fixed it for you.

7. World B Free

World B Free Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  8. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Battle of the minorities on this one.

Who will come out on top?

Will it be:

Black Girls Surf or Brazilian Surf Club

Not joking, these are the actual names.

9. foamieswithmyhomies

foamieswithmyhomies Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2014
    this is the least surprising article on earth -- aggro Brazillian and a shiny snowflake on the same wave? that's comedy material right there

10. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    I'm pretty sure he claimed the wave then flipped off the judges too. Propere brazil techniquee

11. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2018
    We have a sup surfer who shows up at Nanny - Brazilian Dude, and he’s really good... problem is he’s all over the breaks back paddling people paddle battling people and jamming for every wave constantly. I dropped in on him twice, once was accident second was a phuck you and he got pissy and said crap and made faces (-according to my giggling daughter) and she laughed because he had yelled at HER for being in his way in the white water. THAT guy? I’ll bail boart, shoulder hop and just in general mess with all day - this beach has waves all dam day everywhere when it’s working for half a mile. The aggro just isn’t necessary.. but between being learnt here by you fellas and a few locals, I guess it’s just part of their surfing.
    Too bad I guess, how much more fun is it when your actually HAPPY surfing?

Zeroevol, Yankkee, La_Piedra and 3 others like this.
  12. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    That jerk needs a serious beatdown, one so bad that it makes him consider his attitude about life in general.

Maybe so bad that he turns into Tebow.

Zeroevol, headhigh, Yankkee and 3 others like this.
  13. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2018
    I will say that if I have an Achilles heel it’s my little girl - she is the sweetest and kindest kid I’ve ever known and when someone is a douche to her? Or mean to her? Just because they suck as people?
    I get really deep down angry and nasty. So I can totally get down with that post Daddy Stone -

Zeroevol, headhigh and desandan like this.
  14. desandan

desandan Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Y'all notice how her leash got wrapped around the nose of his board?

15. nalu222

nalu222 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    I noticed that on the video replay as well, like he was trying to snake her or maybe miscommunication of wave direction off the drop, inadvertently gets his fancy Hayden Shapes tangled into the leash and has to pull it off in the most dramatic way possible... If she wasn't wearing a leash this wouldn't have happened. Just saying.

DawnPatrol321 and desandan like this.
  16. NNYNJ

NNYNJ Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2017
    If you have an issue with someone in the lineup the only respectable way to handle it is a proper Fitzpedo.

17. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I mean i don't agree that it's assault or that any police should be involved or that any one should get sued. But that could of been bad. 9 times out of 10 probably not. But pulling someone's leg out like that.... plenty of bad things could happen that could cause actual injury.

Guys a douche. And i didn't get through the whole article. I saw race and gender brought up and said oh god not this again.

Kind of a side story. But somewhat related. My buddy passed away this summer. Great older surfer. He would drop in on you constantly. Not in a bad etiquette way though. He'd tell you he's going. And he's been surfing the beaches for longer than iv been alive so he's earned it. Any way, when he passed me and my buddy kind of made a joke out of dropping in on each other. Not on purpose. But he dropped in on me, i dropped in on him. Both complete mistakes. So we said it was in memory of our friend. Well turns out we both drop in on each other constantly! I really had no idea. After about a week or two of the jokes creation it dawned on me. I surf with blinders waaaaaay more than i thought.

Point being, mistakes happen. Be polite and apologize. But just because you think you have good etiquette doesn't mean you actually do. After this realization iv made a conscious decision to be more aware

18. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    It’s like crossing the street. Look left, look right, look left again.

19. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Ehhhh not really. I look both directions. Still ended up dropping in on my bud a good amount. It only happens with him. I think we're on the same page. You go left, i go right. Boom drop in and never even realize he didn't go where i thought. With anyone else id communicate. But still it happens. And i guarantee you that not only you but many others here do it with out realizing. Not a blatant drop in. Not a result of not looking. But assuming. Dudes set up perfect for the left, you say cool the rights mine. You go. Turns out he went right and is silently cursing you. You never even realize it.

20. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    If you say so, I can’t say I have a problem with dropping in on anybody, I’m pretty damn aware before I go, if I think someone is gonna be in my way I let them go, there’s another one coming and it could be better anyways. On the other hand, friends or people I have surfed with are more like you, oblivious of their transgressions lol

If it happens more than once I paddle away from them far enough to have my own space. I don’t play that game. This is probably why I prefer surfing alone 90% of the time. I enjoy meeting up with my friends but surfing solo has its perks. I think mostly I’m worried about damaging my boart by a stupid drop in, it’s not worth it. I prefer surfing with buds who know how to take turns or keep their space.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018