LongBoarde Tread Advise.

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by nalu222, Aug 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    It's pretty funny actually. There are those who have many boards and those who have one......

I'll actually retract, or rephrase my comment about digging the nose not being a rocker issue but a technique issue. It depends on the individual. Some people would rather change there approach/technique on one board for varying conditions. Some would rather have a board specifically suited for diffrent conditions.

At three end of the day no one is wrong and no one is right. Its preference. I have allot of boards, sometimes its great... perfect day for this board. Other times it sucks.... which board should i ride? Ahh i picked the wrong one!

2. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I had fun on my fish today, it was chest - head and sets pushing overhead but I was missing my LB. The way the waves were breaking it suited the LB much better. I almost brought it but didn't, oh well.

3. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Wrongboarditis??
    I brought out my Byrne yesterday--trying to re-acquaint myself with it for PR trip in December. Then it occurred to me...wait, I am canceling the trip; why go through all this??
    Wrongboarditis.......

4. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    It happens, I try not to worry about it though. Always have the next session! Sorry you're cancelling your trip. Their tourism is going to be non-existent for a while.

5. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Had I booked a trip just for me, I would not cancel. But this one was supposed to be with my wife; can't leave her in destruction while I go surf. Not if I want to eat as well as I do thanks to her........

BTW, I did have a few really smashing great waves on the Byrne, worked the hell out of the wave and my board. Trying to Make Barry Great Again!!

6. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    So, I sold a 9’6” last month (Minard shape out of San Diego I bought a few years back from some dude in VB). It was a log. Heavy, thick nose rider. I was not loving it. I wanted to move on to a different board. I have surfed all kinds of longboards but have only owned one at a time and only 4 over the years. Learned to surf SB and still ride SB but gotta have an LB for summertime....

Anyway, I am on the search for something more HP. I have a 9’1” in Hawaii that I have kept at my bros house over the years. Shaped by the late Randy Sleigh. This thing is sweet. It was shaped for me back in 97’ and basically he told me what I wanted. He shaped two similar boards for me and a friend ( friends Dad and Randy where very good friends from Kauai dayz).
    The thing is he did not put any dimensions on the board.

So, I doubt I will go to shaper and spend $600 (my shaper will probably do for less but he has shaped short boards primarily over the years).

Was searching internet and saw this:
    https://www.surftech.com/surf/revelation-90-fusion-hd

Not interested in a surf tech board in particular, but the shape and design caught my attention.

I’m just rambling, read through this thread for ideas, and looking for opinions from folks who have experienced different LBs.

I tend to ride LBs on back half of board. I can walk the nose (it ain’t prettty lol) but I prefer stylee cutbacks and carvy turns. My previous board was too heavy and stiff...

7. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I said this before in this thread but Always liked the August what I ride. It does it all. Had a loaner from a friend for a long time and that got me into long boarding again. It's the board that I used when who's been surfing got started. Then the same guy loaned me a heavier more classic style shaped by Masi Salieil for G&S. It wasn't a nose rider just flat up front with a heap of tail rocker. It was real fun to surf off the tail.
    After a ton of R and D on those I went and got a local custom from Nature Shapes that combined features of the 2. That Mike Becker makes great longboards for east coast beach breaks.
    He added a touch of nose flip to prevent pearling and he is progressive when it comes to material. I dug the nose deep on steep drops and it justs plows through. I recommend a bellied bottom and a touch of width.
    Check out his shapes to get an idea.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  8. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018

I do own and use a "what I ride" August, when a longboard is called for. HOWEVER......mine is 8'8", not a mm longer. At that length, it is a great board. Very maneuverable. Over 9'0"....they become way too loggy and cumbersome for my taste.

9. Yankkee

Yankkee Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Good point Barry, but having said that, the rider's own dims are important. Meaning height & weight. I luv my 10' Ruddy Drifter, and routinely do fast carving turns on it. As well as whitewater climbs & down-the-line speed; the boart is really excellent. But, I'm one big gringo for this sport so to me the 10' is easy to maneuver. I have friends who are 5'9 170 range, they look at the Drifter like it's the Empire State Bldg.

Also have a 9'6 WIR, actually two, older ones (Clark Foam) in great condition.

And, slide on :cool:

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  10. Barry Cuda

Nov 19, 2018
    Yup, body size and weight etc needs to match well. I am 6ft, 168 lbs presently. But I love me a nimble board

11. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Looks clean and fast, but like Peajay 4060 pointed out, you need to see the rocker to get an idea of how it's gonna work in less than ideal conditions. I like the fin box with the two side bites, I had a HPLB like that, epoxy, super light, made to surf from the back like a SB, and it was awesome in big surf. Made every section, had future fin box on sides. Really fast and nimble.

It was 9'0", so I could ride it in contests as a legit LB. I'm 5'9" 160 lbs so I kinda like Barry's idea of getting a shorter LB next time, maybe 8'6" or so for a more maneuverable craft that still can catch and make about any wave. And make it look easy.

I rode a buddy's 8' single fin thick step deck (fat nose would plow thru anything) Herbie Fletcher a few times in good surf, it had lots of front and back rocker with a good flat section in the middle. Wide nose. Narrowish round tail. It was the bomb! but I never took it out in maxing conditions because it wasn't mine and was made special just for Josh. He left it with me while travelling - said surf it but don't ruin it. I did and I didn't LOL.

I'd love to have that one or one just like it, the only mid length I ever liked.

12. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Thx PJ. I just checked them out. That HP1 looks like what I am in the mood for.

13. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Nimble is a good way to put it. I have an 8’ board that is wide up front and tapered in the tail...that thing is very nimble.

I’m 30lbs heavier than you, 9’ -9 2” is what I’m in the market for. There are small days that are weak but lined up or super tiny long period stuff that an LB makes fun.

Peajay4060 likes this.
  14. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    8 footer sounds like mine. Board is super fun. I think with that, adding a 9.0” is where I’m at.

15. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I think 8' makes it a "fun shape". A true LB starts at 9' I believe.

HPLB should have thinner rails with more foil, with slightly more rocker (particularly entry) and width.

I've always believed that lb's should retain a single fin, but could be improved with the right pair of side bites.

a lot of good info in this tread, particularly Peajay.

I'd be interested in hearing what our resident shapers have to say

16. Barry Cuda

Nov 19, 2018
    Jay
    I also have a G&S Competition Round Tail--9'2". That is a high performance board. It works very nice as it is made "light". But I find I need a wave with juice to make that one work at its peak. I have had it out in 8-10 foot faces and it was awesome--it has a nice broad nose with wide concave under it, was able to stretch five for very long distances at the point break I was on.

17. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    My 9’ Singlefin HPLB / Noserider hybrid. Shaped by Greg Geiselman at Orion.

BE5047FB-3704-4476-8974-E6BB865761FD.jpeg 5D97C057-C8BB-4441-974D-9056AF34B26F.jpeg 446BE1FE-17C2-436C-AA7C-DAA873DC675F.jpeg

18. Barry Cuda

Nov 19, 2018
    The 9 foot limitation is for COMPETITION purposes only.
    A long board can be 8'6" to a 5 foot human. But, at that size, under 9 feet, back in the 1960s and 1970s, they were designated as "mini long boards".

19. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Peajay4060 likes this.
  20. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I would ask if you want to sell it, but I could not imagine negotiating a deal with you:). I do want something light like the Randy Sleigh board I have. That last noserider was way to heavy.