LongBoarde Tread Advise.

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by nalu222, Aug 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Sick looking board. Mine is all HP at the tail, it’s hard to tell but it’s foiled pretty good making it very nimble, there is a nice rocker for the steeper waves. I like riding from the tail a lot but it can be ridden from the nose though. I like being able to do both.

2. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
  3. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    No. Just looking at options in this realm...

4. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    This is the fin I have in it.

B5B5AEA8-7E05-43E0-A74E-9C4031E46DC1.png

sisurfdogg and La_Piedra like this.
  5. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Nice. I know quite a few guys that ride one. Mines more of the HP 2 with the bottom of the NR1. Mines just a single.
    But I wanted more of a nose rider, a wave hog and I wanted wide and thick so i could tandem with the kids.

If I were to get one of those it would be sub 9', epoxy, with a five fin option so it could ride as a quad sometimes. If you order one. Ask about putting a well in the tail for your back foot. Some guys get them and swear by it.

Good luck pal

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    sisurfdogg likes this.
  6. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Thx PJ. I will probably go more local (primarily due to logistics) but, that HP1 is like looking at the girl of your dreams across the room...I may have to go talk to her!!!

The HP2 looks sweet too...I think HP1 is what I am looking for in theory. Thx again.

7. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Threads like these are what the swellinfo forums should be about!

sisurfdogg likes this.
  8. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Huh?? What about "scantillyclads??? Heaven forbid that be nixed!!

La_Piedra, Yankkee and sisurfdogg like this.
  9. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    I have a Bill Frierson HPLB similar to what you describe: 9-0, some rocker, thinner rails, lighter, and 2+1 fin config. Its my go-to board. Unfortunately, it's laid up needing a major nose repair. Been using my son's 8-6 Austin. It has a wider nose, round tail and is a more heavily glassed and thicker board than my Frierson.

10. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I'm right there with you not liking the feel of a heavy, flat, longboard, i suspect for the same reasons you don't: I don't ride a longboard in small mushy point surf, and I'm more interested in turns than real classic noseriding/walking the plank style.

The basic shape looks fine.
    I think you are wise not to be interested in a surf tech log. If ridden them and if you dislike stiffness in those stylee turns and cutbacks, my experience is tuflite logs are very stiff and lack the flex and "twang" of a properly shaped poly longboard.

11. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Couldn’t agree more, I have felt those stiff LB’s and compared to mine it’s night and day. Mine has flex and is “lively”, light weight but heavy enough for the glide.

12. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Damn you guys got me wanting to trade in the noserider for something more high performance now!

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  13. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Right on Mitch. Definitely going Poly if custom and if possible on a second hand. Gonna talk to Becker on his. What do think about glass job on custom? Weight...thx

14. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Just repeating what longboarders tell me
    Right on dude

Noses are about the easiest repairs to make. Get on it, dawg.

And the rest of you: friends don't let friends ride Surftech boards. Get a real shape by a real shaper. I've seen a couple of good names being thrown around, Becker being a good one.

especially if you have a good local shaper

sisurfdogg, Yankkee and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  15. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I would go Poly with the gloss coat. You could go no gloss coat but I think it’s worth it to have.

16. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I will definitely go gloss. I was curious about weight variations (oz).

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  17. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    If you ride a longboard as rarely as i do, maybe 10-15 times a year, don't want extra weight, and don't mistreat your boards, 1 x 6 oz. bottom, 2 x 6 oz on the deck is plenty of glass for a performance log. I get 15 years out of a custom poly board with that glassing. Definitely gloss coat on a log.

18. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Thanks for input. Yea...your spot on. Maybe 10 times a year and I do take care of my boards. I was thinking 4,6,4 oz...but I guess on LB go heavier all the way through on deck???

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  19. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    So I was at the Pier this morning and ran into a local kid who rides a mean LB and he just shelled out for custom Bett Prinz Crowd Control HPLB he said it nose rides and shredds

It was super light and well foiled. I'm ordering one.
    http://crowdcontrolsurfstore.com/about/