Is the WSL still interesting?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by bubs, Jan 6, 2019.

1. NJsurfer30

NJsurfer30 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2016
    This is brilliant, I'm totally stealing my parents' heart medicine the next time it's well overhead and hollow and I'm nervous about paddling out.

headhigh, SCOB3YVILLE and La_Piedra like this.
  2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018
    No.

La_Piedra and NJsurfer30 like this.

3. NJsurfer30

NJsurfer30 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Not sure if that's the case or not... I do consider Armstrong to be the clearest comparable athlete in terms of dominance, body type, and competitive drive so strong it seems to border on psychological dysfunction, but exponentially more of the US and world's general population cared about cycling during lance's heyday (because of how heavily major media covered him and spun his tour appearances into America vs. Europe showdowns), and it's well-known and accepted that PEDs in some form or another have been rampant in professional cycling for close to a century now, if not longer. While many people know who Kelly Slater is and are vaguely aware that he has been dominant within his field, no one aside from a very small fraction of the US population gives enough of a damn about surfing to speculate or care about PEDs, plus I think most people assume most surfers are stoners, drunks, and drug addicts anyway (and I'm not sure I disagree), and don't really care which drugs they're on or whether or not performance is affected.

4. Barry Cuda

Nov 19, 2018
    They are 100% correct in that assumption. 100% correct.

bubs and NJsurfer30 like this.
  5. Yankkee

Yankkee Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    The Tour de France should go back to the old format, wherein the riders would stop for champagne breaks with locals :cool:

DonQ, Notaseal and NJsurfer30 like this.
  6. Barry Cuda

Nov 19, 2018
    Especially if the locals have attractive daughters.....

Yankkee likes this.
  7. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Didn't Armstrong and Roger Clemens get busted because the "friends" who were injecting them actually kept the used needles as evidence to be used against them later?

What kind of sick twisted mind does that sort of crazy crap?

Oh yeah...Monica Lewinsky lol

ChavezyChavez, Barry Cuda and Yankkee like this.
  8. NNYNJ

NNYNJ Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2017
    I’m not saying Kelly’s ped use would come from the public I’m saying it would come from other tour surfers. There would be someone saying (maybe anonymously) that Slater’s only this great because he cheats...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  9. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
    Who would they go to in order to make such a claim? I'd suggest they have a smoking gun before doing so.

10. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    From the man himself.

nopantsLance likes this.
  11. NNYNJ

NNYNJ Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2017
    I’d imagine they’d go to all the surf mag journalists that stay with them all winter. They are with them constantly...

12. Barry Cuda

Nov 19, 2018
    Parasites??

13. Yankkee

Nov 8, 2017
    Perhaps. Unrealistic, though, imho.

As we saw with MLB beat writers, none of whom came forward with the blatant things that they saw regarding juicing. Brings to mind the classic (inane) SI cover story years ago regarding why the home run count was so masively higher in the era of Bonds-McGwire-Sosa. The article concluded that the baseballs were more tightly spun so they got out of the yard faster :D

Same with the NFL writers: no one came forward to talk about all the pill popping & 'roidness.

Surf writers are usually surfers. And they share lineups with the pros. They aren't going to write anything about the drug use or their careers would be over o_O

La_Piedra likes this.
  14. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
    would you be the journalist that writes a story about Surfing's Greatest Champion using steroids for a competitive edge? Without evidence?

Even though it's done all the time today, using the phrase "...credible sources say..." lol

Yankkee likes this.
  15. Barry Cuda

Nov 19, 2018
    They could say, "World famous surfer Barry says...".....

Yankkee likes this.
  16. nopantsLance

nopantsLance Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    [​IMG]

17. NNYNJ

NNYNJ Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Haha.. I get it. I also get Yanks point about the writers being "bros" with the surfers...

We all knew about Andy being on drugs long before he talked about it publicly.
    My point is people talk and things get out especially when jealously and $ are involved. IMO if he was dirty jealous guys around him would talk and there'd be more talk about it (not just on this medical/career advise site)

Again could he be dirty? Of course. He checks a lot of the boxes. But I'm not going to say he is because he's "too good."

18. pickles

pickles Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2014
    if there is evidence or credible witnesses then he should lose the titles for the time that he is proven dirty

19. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    OR he busted his ass, maintained focus and did it better then anyone else.

20. Yankkee

Nov 8, 2017
    With all due respect.....not x9 better than anyone else....unless he's The Unicorn :eek: