performance eggs

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by RespectIt, Dec 14, 2018.

1. RespectIt

RespectIt Active Member

May 27, 2013
    any opinions on a good all-rounder/winter board for mush that'l go in overhead like a champ? was looking at the Sumo an phipps' Bad Egg around 6'10"

thanks

2. Yankkee

Yankkee Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Get it, provide ride report, good jobbe

Notaseal likes this.

3. JTS

JTS Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2010
    E149B80C-3FF4-4984-8A1F-3B9AEA54C326.jpeg EFEF1DAE-83D8-42C4-80D4-CFF20C3EBB62.jpeg A couple of Vernor Treehuggers
    The yellow one is 7 foot works really well in waist to OH surf in OBX
    The blue one is 7’8 and glides better
    Vernors construction is top notch epoxy over Marlo foam blanks, not too light and tough

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Lookthing, pkovo, headhigh and 3 others like this.
  4. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I get my eggs shaped locally in Maryland by Jon Ashton. So far I've had a 6'4" and 6'6" Dimensions generally about 20 3/4" wide 2 5/8" thick. With the wide outline, you want a decent amount of rocker for them to go in overhead waves. I ride mine as a thruster in hollow big surf, with quad in setup chest to shoulder softer waves.

My experience is these kinds of boards don't do well at all in small mushy surf. They come alive in big open faced surf with doing big carvy turns. If its waist to stomach high or smaller and mushy I'm going to be riding a different board....like a little stubby mini simmons or grovelor.

IMG_20150603_181608.jpg deck3.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    pkovo, Notaseal and DosXX like this.
  5. JTS

JTS Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Sure
    I called the shaper David Vernor and asked about fins
    He said he liked an 8 inch single in his 7 ‘0
    I like quads and 2 plus 1 better
    YMMV

Notaseal likes this.
  6. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2018
    peachTint_Egg.jpg

Me G&S egg. I had that made 2 years ago. Nice board, but I had it made a bit long 7'10.
    I use it as an "in-between" board, before reaching longboards.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    jaklsurfs, JTS and La_Piedra like this.
  7. Barry Cuda

Nov 19, 2018

I was just about to be critical and ask, "Really, an 8" fin? Who does THAT?". But then I realized....oh, wait, I sometimes do.......hahahaha!
    Usually, I go quad with my egg.

JTS and Notaseal like this.
  8. JTS

JTS Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Nice, if my old eyes aren’t deceiving my that is one of Steve Seebolds. I had 2 of his shapes many years back, loved them. Always thought of getting another from him

9. Barry Cuda

Nov 19, 2018
    Yup- Siebold did make that one for me. It is, as I requested NOT a light board. Therefore, on very offshore windy days, it is a nice ride when the tides are right.

jaklsurfs likes this.